Living on Mars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Living on Mars
Have you guys seen any articles recently about the intent to terraform on Mars? It would be a one way trip, but you'd fly out to Mars, and essentially be the first humans there to begin laying the groundwork for future generations.

Would any of you guys actually do this? I talked about it with my wife. Even if we had no familial ties or dogs on boring old Earth, she'd rather stay. I think it would be exciting though. If my parents were dead, I had no children, and was not caring for any dogs (which we usually are), then I'd totally be down to go to Mars.

How cool would that be? I might lag a little bit on xbox live....and last time I checked, chipotle and chic fil a were both pretty scarce out in that general area...but what a way to go. Spending the remaining years of your life as one of the first people on Mars? Laying the foundation for future generations to move across the solar system, even maybe even the galaxy?

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 09:45 AM
RE: Living on Mars
It would be cool, but it also would be really hard work. It would be less "living" and more "surviving". Last time I heard they were trying to pay people to go... wonder why that is? Consider

Atir aissom atir imon
28-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Who knew?

Drinking Beverage

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ip-to-Mars
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ty-TV-show

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-02-2014, 09:50 AM
So, a Mars that's already like earth but colder, and with weaker gravity? If so, might as well move to the Canadian North, or Russia North, or Antartica. You'd have more food, and resources that's for sure. If anything goes wrong, you'd be a couple hours away from help or calling quits.

Or mars as is now? The amount of stress to keep things maintained and running would be too great. And knowing that if there's any leak or failure anywhere will mean your death, might drive you mad. This isn't a little trip, this is permanent. If your heater alone fails for some reason, you're dead. You can't even get a garbage bin fire to keep you warm - no disposable wood, or oxygen.
28-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Guess I violated law of the internetz by not using the search function. What a noob move on my part...maybe I'll get pwnd for it.

I'd be happy to get paid for it. I still think it would be an awesome way to live out the end of your years. Born here...die there. Sure lots of things might go wrong, but it could happen here too. The prospect of no disposable wood or oxygen, leaks, etc. wouldn't quite be enough to deter me (assuming my previous parameters were met).

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
28-02-2014, 10:16 AM
(28-02-2014 10:03 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  Guess I violated law of the internetz by not using the search function. What a noob move on my part...maybe I'll get pwnd for it.

Not a problem.

Repeating is generally preferred to necro-threading.

But you asked:
"Have you guys seen any articles ..."
and...
"Would any of you guys actually do this?"

and I'm not so terse and deadly so as to merely reply with "yes".

Carry on. Thumbsup

28-02-2014, 10:17 AM
on one hand it does sound pretty adventurous and exciting. But when thinking of the day to day grind on how your time would be spent, hmmm....not sure if I could do that.

The first stages will be all construction of a base camp, which will always be expanding, just like the ISS. They added on to that thing for YEARS.

I would rather the first experiment like that be on the moon. Which I think would be way awesome still. But there are so many lessons to learn. I think we have learned many on the ISS, but not sure if we learned enough about walking around another place and treating that place with respect and care.

I look here and see fracking, coal ash ponds, oil spills, etc....I'm not convinced we (humans) are responsible enough to handle it yet. Isn't there someplace that monitors all the space trash in the earth's orbit...that WE put there.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-02-2014, 12:17 PM
(28-02-2014 09:39 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  Have you guys seen any articles recently about the intent to terraform on Mars? It would be a one way trip, but you'd fly out to Mars, and essentially be the first humans there to begin laying the groundwork for future generations.

Would any of you guys actually do this? I talked about it with my wife. Even if we had no familial ties or dogs on boring old Earth, she'd rather stay. I think it would be exciting though. If my parents were dead, I had no children, and was not caring for any dogs (which we usually are), then I'd totally be down to go to Mars.

How cool would that be? I might lag a little bit on xbox live....and last time I checked, chipotle and chic fil a were both pretty scarce out in that general area...but what a way to go. Spending the remaining years of your life as one of the first people on Mars? Laying the foundation for future generations to move across the solar system, even maybe even the galaxy?

Dogs? Really? Consider Chipotle I can see, but dogs. Big Grin

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2014, 03:10 PM
(28-02-2014 09:39 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  How cool would that be? I might lag a little bit on xbox live....and last time I checked, chipotle and chic fil a were both pretty scarce out in that general area...but what a way to go. Spending the remaining years of your life as one of the first people on Mars? Laying the foundation for future generations to move across the solar system, even maybe even the galaxy?

It would be cool for the first two weeks you were there.....and then the novelty would wear off and it would suck for the rest of your life.
28-02-2014, 03:34 PM
(28-02-2014 03:10 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 09:39 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  How cool would that be? I might lag a little bit on xbox live....and last time I checked, chipotle and chic fil a were both pretty scarce out in that general area...but what a way to go. Spending the remaining years of your life as one of the first people on Mars? Laying the foundation for future generations to move across the solar system, even maybe even the galaxy?

It would be cool for the first two weeks you were there.....and then the novelty would wear off and it would suck for the rest of your life.

Wow kinda like you being back here again Angel

Shoo (again) fly!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post