Living the darwin lifestyle.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 03:16 AM
RE: Living the darwin lifestyle.
I used to get very mad at people passing really fast inside the city and so on.
At some point I looked at myself...
For a long time I was going everywhere by bike, and I would race the streets like an asshole in the city at rush hour. I would follow the rules of the road but I would not be able to forsee other's behaviour. So twice I nearly had a crash. And then I learnt and was more careful.
When I am in a car I do like to go fast, but only outside cities on empty roads and I slow down the second I see someone else on the road. Inside the city I am a very very careful driver.

If someone is going faster than the limit you don't know the reasons. A bad day? Late for a meeting? Father dieing in a hospital and the person wants to say good bye in time? Broken tachometer? Asshole? New car and not used to how it feels?
Really, being an asshole is not the majority of reasons to speed.
Be happy when they pass you and end up directly in front of you at the next red light. That is my pleasure in traffic, to see that happen.
But I would never deny anyone the help they are supposed to get just because I am mad right now.
It is not only that everyone has the right to get an ambulance coming when they have a car crash, it is also your duty to call the ambulance. I am not sure how exactly it works in the US but in Germany you can actually get in deep trouble if you don't help as much as you can. Which means to call the ambulance at very least and not just passing by.
I for example would have to go and take the person out of the car and do proper first aid on them, because I am trained. If I would not do that in that moment, I would get in trouble. But I wouldn't do it because I am afraid of a fine to pay, I would help because I want to be helped to when I am in that situation. ...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
27-08-2012, 03:17 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 03:22 AM by Logisch.)
I'm glad someone understands what I'm getting at, thank you Frankiej and Leela. One of the major reasons we have done so damn well as a species is because we understand empathy so well. We have this crazy ability to put ourselves in the positions of others and ask the question, "What would I want them to do if I was in that position." and is a huge reason we have adapted and survived so well.

We are human, we do make mistakes. Shit happens. People do stupid things for stupid reasons, we all do. We've all made bad choices. Yes, driving over the speed limit or driving recklessly is of course a horrible idea. But we have to understand that we have the same capacity to make a bad choice as someone else does. Thankfully we also have the mental capacity to learn from our mistakes and become better homo sapiens. Who'da thunk'it.

Species adapt and survive because survival of the fittest SPECIES allows them to BE that species. I think it's safe to say that if other species of animals just sat there and let each other die, they wouldn't have survived as long as they have.

monkey #1: "Hey did you hear that bessie died?"
monkey #2: "Oh bessie, the monkey on the other side of the river?"
monkey #1: "YEAH! That's her!"
monkey #2: "Yeah she got killed by a leopard. I watched it happen. She fell off a branch and was slowly eaten by it."
monkey #1: "WHAT THE FUCK? You didn't intervene?!!!"
monkey #2: "Well that bitch was jumping from branch to branch so recklessly. I figure it's better she just died than be saved. I mean what if I have kids someday and she falls out of the branch and hits someone? I mean what a bitch. Thinking she's all better than me because she could jump branches faster. Fucking show off. Whatever, I have better things to do like scratch my ass and pick at grass, I can't be bothered to help her. So I just kept going."
monkey #1: "Don't you think that someone just needed to teach her not to jump the branches like a tard? I mean shit, she got eaten by a fucking LEOPARD!"
monkey #2: "Survival of the fittest baby!"
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
27-08-2012, 03:47 AM
(27-08-2012 03:16 AM)Leela Wrote:  I used to get very mad at people passing really fast inside the city and so on.
At some point I looked at myself...
For a long time I was going everywhere by bike, and I would race the streets like an asshole in the city at rush hour. I would follow the rules of the road but I would not be able to forsee other's behaviour. So twice I nearly had a crash. And then I learnt and was more careful.
When I am in a car I do like to go fast, but only outside cities on empty roads and I slow down the second I see someone else on the road. Inside the city I am a very very careful driver.

If someone is going faster than the limit you don't know the reasons. A bad day? Late for a meeting? Father dieing in a hospital and the person wants to say good bye in time? Broken tachometer? Asshole? New car and not used to how it feels?
Really, being an asshole is not the majority of reasons to speed.
Be happy when they pass you and end up directly in front of you at the next red light. That is my pleasure in traffic, to see that happen.
But I would never deny anyone the help they are supposed to get just because I am mad right now.
It is not only that everyone has the right to get an ambulance coming when they have a car crash, it is also your duty to call the ambulance. I am not sure how exactly it works in the US but in Germany you can actually get in deep trouble if you don't help as much as you can. Which means to call the ambulance at very least and not just passing by.
I for example would have to go and take the person out of the car and do proper first aid on them, because I am trained. If I would not do that in that moment, I would get in trouble. But I wouldn't do it because I am afraid of a fine to pay, I would help because I want to be helped to when I am in that situation. ...

It is the same here. It is against the law to not take action, however I feel that is speed laws are not to be followed, likewise that law is not needed to be followed. I have not had this happen yet and I am still on the fence, however I am leaning in this direction.
27-08-2012, 03:51 AM
But in having such a rule, that would mean that you are governed by the same rule. In such a situation if you just happen to have that position where you are put in, that would mean the rest of society flips you the finger and decides that it is birdguy1979's time to die. No one knows why, no one cares. You went over the speed limit for whatever reason. No one has to help you, no one does. That would be the societal rule that you propose. No excuses, no exceptions. You are just another ape.
27-08-2012, 04:04 AM
As I said though. I keep to within 5 miles per hour of the speed limit. Normally exactly at the limit. If I happen to see someone minding their own business, following the rules, and otherwise being careful and they hit a rock or something out of their control happens I would stop to help. I am only talking about those with complete disregard for others. I live in New Jersey and believe me there are too many of that type to count around here.
27-08-2012, 04:14 AM
I don't think you understand what I'm getting at here.

You cannot necessarily understand who has no disregard for you and who does. Someone could have a million reasons for disregarding the speed limit. They could be weaving in and out of traffic driving as dangerous as could be and for all you know they could be rushing to the hospital. But how would you know that? Miles down the road they wreck and you saw them driving that way and you decide to let the guy die.

Either way if you enforce such a rule that a person is not bound to help another person if they disregard a law then society says "fuck that guy" then you are also capable of having that enforced upon you. YOU too are bound by this rule. Even IF you drive perfectly, if some other guy sees you as disregarding it he decides "Well, that guy seemed like an asshole, so you know what, fuck him." and now you are in the position of being foreseen as the guy you so vehemently oppose.

How would you feel if you made that mistake, for whatever reason, someone had the misconception that you had no regard for others but that mistake (even if you didn't intend it) was seen that way. Would you want society to NOT call 911 and NOT help you and JUST let you die?

Why are you avoiding answering the question so much? Is it entirely that uncomfortable for you to understand what it would be like in the same situation? Empathy is a normal human trait.

It comes down to this, and I will simplify it in a way that hopefully you can understand and answer:

Would you want to be treated the same way? Forget all the "but i'm so perfect and such a great citizen" scenarios. ANY reason what so ever, whatever the case may be, would you want to be treated the same way as the guy dying on the side of the road?
27-08-2012, 04:19 AM
(27-08-2012 04:14 AM)Logisch Wrote:  I don't think you understand what I'm getting at here.

You cannot necessarily understand who has no disregard for you and who does. Someone could have a million reasons for disregarding the speed limit. They could be weaving in and out of traffic driving as dangerous as could be and for all you know they could be rushing to the hospital. But how would you know that? Miles down the road they wreck and you saw them driving that way and you decide to let the guy die.

Either way if you enforce such a rule that a person is not bound to help another person if they disregard a law then society says "fuck that guy" then you are also capable of having that enforced upon you. YOU too are bound by this rule. Even IF you drive perfectly, if some other guy sees you as disregarding it he decides "Well, that guy seemed like an asshole, so you know what, fuck him." and now you are in the position of being foreseen as the guy you so vehemently oppose.

How would you feel if you made that mistake, for whatever reason, someone had the misconception that you had no regard for others but that mistake (even if you didn't intend it) was seen that way. Would you want society to NOT call 911 and NOT help you and JUST let you die?

Why are you avoiding answering the question so much? Is it entirely that uncomfortable for you to understand what it would be like in the same situation? Empathy is a normal human trait.

It comes down to this, and I will simplify it in a way that hopefully you can understand and answer:

Would you want to be treated the same way? Forget all the "but i'm so perfect and such a great citizen" scenarios. ANY reason what so ever, whatever the case may be, would you want to be treated the same way as the guy dying on the side of the road?

If my actions are putting others at great risk, because I have decided that my needs outweigh the needs of the many, then yes.
27-08-2012, 04:26 AM
The purpose of the stupid and wreckless wildebeest mucking around at the edge of the herd is to get munched so the sensible wildebeest can live longer:

Meanwhile in Singapore...
WARNING: DO NOT WATCH IF EASILY SHOCKED!

27-08-2012, 04:37 AM
(27-08-2012 04:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The purpose of the stupid and wreckless wildebeest mucking around at the edge of the herd is to get munched so the sensible wildebeest can live longer:

Meanwhile in Singapore...
WARNING: DO NOT WATCH IF EASILY SHOCKED!

In my opinion, after reviewing the video the guy driving the ferrari needs to be left to die or be locked up for a very very long time. If he killed the driver he hit, then I feel it should be the death penalty. I'd actually hope he willl live a long natural life with no ability to move or feel below the neck. Of course beggers can't be chooser though.
27-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Holy shit, man! You are seriously fucked up!

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post