Living will

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Living will
Not sure if this belongs in this section but it's personal.

Had to fill out my living will today, and it gave me the chills. We are getting our regular wills finalized today, too, but the living will was just creepy, thinking about what we will likely be facing one day.

There is one section that asks what my wishes are as far as services, music, care, etc., and I wrote that I was an atheist and that everything related to my care while living and after death must be free of any religion or diety and that all services, etc., must be secular. I plan to be cremated and merged with the beginning stages of a tree pod. Cool

While I am no closet atheist, this is the first time it will be on an official document and basically public. Feels good, aside from the creepy visions of not being resuscitated.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
13-04-2016, 11:12 AM
RE: Living will
What's a tree pod?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
13-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Had mine since I was 18. My living will only covers up until death, not what happens to me afterwards. For that I have a separate Final Arrangements document. Knowing that people will one day read it almost makes it worth dying. Let's just say the whole thing is written as a serious declaration of my Norse paganistic beliefs. Those who know me well will know it's just my smartass version of the spaghetti monster. As for everyone who takes it seriously, I hope my burial requests fuck with their heads for the rest of their lives.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
13-04-2016, 12:15 PM
(13-04-2016 11:12 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  What's a tree pod?

Here you go:

linky

Quote:“After you die, do you want your body to feed worms or to feed squirrels?” asks the team behind the Bios Urn — a product by Spanish design studio estudimoline — that enables you, your loved ones, or your pets to be buried in a life-assuring kind of way by transforming their ashes into a tree.

“Bios Urn changes the way people see death, converting the 'end of life' into a transformation and a return to life through nature. [It is] a smart, sustainable, and ecologically friendly way to approach what’s, probably, one of the most important moments in human life.”

The Urn is 100% biodegradable, made of coconut shell, compacted peat, and cellulose. It has two parts — a top capsule for the seed, and a bottom part for the ashes. This structure allows the seed to germinate separated from the ashes and their high acidity. Once the urn starts to biodegrade, the seed roots are already strong enough to contact them and the entire set becomes part of the sub-soil.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
13-04-2016, 12:19 PM
I keep putting this off but really need to get it done. My family knows my wishes but it should really be put in writing. It's one of those things you mean to do but don't seem to get around to.

I want to be cremated and would prefer my ashes scattered off Cape Hatteras. Since I don't have much family left there any more and considering how windy it is here in TX they could just pour my ashes out in the yard and they would eventually end up in the Atlantic...or the pool depending on which way the wind is blowing that day.

Thanks for the reminder to stop putting this off.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
13-04-2016, 01:32 PM
(13-04-2016 12:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I keep putting this off but really need to get it done. My family knows my wishes but it should really be put in writing. It's one of those things you mean to do but don't seem to get around to.

I want to be cremated and would prefer my ashes scattered off Cape Hatteras. Since I don't have much family left there any more and considering how windy it is here in TX they could just pour my ashes out in the yard and they would eventually end up in the Atlantic...or the pool depending on which way the wind is blowing that day.

Thanks for the reminder to stop putting this off.

One of our neighbors is 94. His girlfriend is getting screwed out of a LOT of her money by her creepy in-laws and absent grand-children who have nothing to do with her for years. Best to have at least a rudimentary one. Transfer the money to a living trust, keep control along with one or two people you trust, so no one gets the dough. All the Health Care Directive stuff, POA, and other instructions can be done separately.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Single, one child. I don't give a fuck what happens to me after I'm dead. I'm set.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
13-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Guuuuys, a living will does not have to do with what happens to you after you die. It just states how you want to be treated in case you are incapable of making decisions or unable to communicate them because of health problems.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
13-04-2016, 03:40 PM
(13-04-2016 02:51 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Guuuuys, a living will does not have to do with what happens to you after you die. It just states how you want to be treated in case you are incapable of making decisions or unable to communicate them because of health problems.

Ed Zachery!

If you don't make the decisions in advance someone else will have to make them, and it may not be someone you even know.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
13-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Nishi, this is about what happens to you if you are in a hospital and unable to represent yourself. It asks many questions about when and if you want the plug pulled. If you have no relatives (or none your trust) you need one of these more than ever.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post