Living will

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2016, 09:52 PM
RE: Living will
(13-04-2016 09:42 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(13-04-2016 06:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Meanwhile, I'm just happy that Will is living.

Yes

Especially since everyone fires at Will. Wink

I've always wondered- what did Will do, to have all that firing at him, anyway? Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Apparently I hopp, and who can resist a moving target?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
13-04-2016, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2016 10:14 PM by Nishi Karano Kaze.)
(13-04-2016 02:51 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Guuuuys, a living will does not have to do with what happens to you after you die. It just states how you want to be treated in case you are incapable of making decisions or unable to communicate them because of health problems.
Ahhh, fuck.
14-04-2016, 09:39 AM
My wife is going to a funeral today for the husband of a friend of hers. The man had Alzheimer's and no living will. In Colorado, as in most states, if you don't have a living will, they will keep you alive forfuckingever. Well, not quite forever but to the dying person it feels like it. If things get really bad, and if your spouse is dead or cannot make a decision on what to do, and your children cannot agree whether or not to terminate life support, the court will appoint some lawyer to investigate and file a report on what you would want if you were capable of expressing your wishes. That doesn't fix things more often than not. Remember Terri Schiavo; if you don't remember her, google her name and read the nightmare.

As a lawyer who has been involved in a bunch of cases like the Schiavo case, I am telling you that a living will is the most important thing you can have. That is, if you don't want to end up lying in a hospice, or hospital, in your own piss and shit, with drool running down your face and unable to speak, waiting for the Grim Reaper. Or, waking up to find a Catholic priest, a protestant preacher, and a rabbi standing over you fighting for your soul. In most states, it is a crime for a doctor, or other care provider, to refuse to follow your directions as set forth in a living will. Since more than 80% of deaths are "hospital deaths," it's a good idea to make sure they know what you want.

Talk to your lawyer about this and if you don't have a lawyer, get one.

This is a good place to talk about having a family lawyer for handling your living will and your testamentary will. This lawyer will be able to contact you if there are changes in the law affecting your wills and you can contact her/him as there are changes in your personal situation -- i.e., divorces, birth of children, death of beneficiaries, etc. That lawyer can be ready to handle the probate of your estate when you croak. That lawyer can also refer you to other lawyers when you need them. This is preferable to sitting in the county jail thumbing through ads in the yellow pages if you ever get arrested or relying on the people in jail with you to make a recommendation.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
14-04-2016, 10:05 AM
A few years ago when my Dad was dying it was plain that he didn't have long and such was the level of sedation and pain-relief he was receiving that he was incapable of making any coherent decisions about his treatment.

A couple of days before he died we spoke to a young doctor about his condition and she informed us that he was being placed on the Liverpool Care Pathway which was commonly used in many UK hospitals at the time to deal with palliative care. We had concerns about this as there had been widespread criticism of the process in the media and we were unhappy that he might be denied water. (It has since been discontinued as a care framework.)

As it happened he only lasted another day or so but I wish he'd made a Living Will in addition to his "normal" will rather than leave his family to discuss the issues with medical and nursing staff. My Mum was distraught at the thought of losing him, even though she knew it was inevitable, and I really wanted it to be all over for him so that he could die with no more suffering. At the same time I didn't want to upset my Mum any more than she already was. It was a very difficult period and I'm thankful that it didn't continue for any length of time.

So please, please, please................make a Living Will. It may save your loved ones a great deal of pain and heartache.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
14-04-2016, 10:45 AM
(14-04-2016 09:39 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  My wife is going to a funeral today for the husband of a friend of hers. The man had Alzheimer's and no living will. In Colorado, as in most states, if you don't have a living will, they will keep you alive forfuckingever. Well, not quite forever but to the dying person it feels like it. If things get really bad, and if your spouse is dead or cannot make a decision on what to do, and your children cannot agree whether or not to terminate life support, the court will appoint some lawyer to investigate and file a report on what you would want if you were capable of expressing your wishes. That doesn't fix things more often than not. Remember Terri Schiavo; if you don't remember her, google her name and read the nightmare.

As a lawyer who has been involved in a bunch of cases like the Schiavo case, I am telling you that a living will is the most important thing you can have. That is, if you don't want to end up lying in a hospice, or hospital, in your own piss and shit, with drool running down your face and unable to speak, waiting for the Grim Reaper. Or, waking up to find a Catholic priest, a protestant preacher, and a rabbi standing over you fighting for your soul. In most states, it is a crime for a doctor, or other care provider, to refuse to follow your directions as set forth in a living will. Since more than 80% of deaths are "hospital deaths," it's a good idea to make sure they know what you want.

Talk to your lawyer about this and if you don't have a lawyer, get one.

This is a good place to talk about having a family lawyer for handling your living will and your testamentary will. This lawyer will be able to contact you if there are changes in the law affecting your wills and you can contact her/him as there are changes in your personal situation -- i.e., divorces, birth of children, death of beneficiaries, etc. That lawyer can be ready to handle the probate of your estate when you croak. That lawyer can also refer you to other lawyers when you need them. This is preferable to sitting in the county jail thumbing through ads in the yellow pages if you ever get arrested or relying on the people in jail with you to make a recommendation.

The entire Schiavo scene unfolded LITERALLY a quarter mile from my house. I used to drive by protesters every day.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user