Local Blow in the War on Christmas.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2010, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2010 09:53 PM by gamutman.)
Local Blow in the War on Christmas.
I post on a local forum. Any time the Christians start behaving as if they have special rights - I'm there to knock them down a peg. Somebody started a thread announcing a local holiday lighting contest. That's all well and good. No problem there. Then a local minister posted a picture of the manger scene with a big star and the caption "The original Christmas light display." After that a local Christian wrote a post thanking the minister for reminding us all of the reason why we celebrate Christmas.

Enter me.

I found a picture of the billboard in Jersey that has all the Christians up in arms this year and posted that.

[Image: You-Know-Its-A-Myth.jpg]

I have no doubt that they'll accuse me of hijacking the thread.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2010, 12:39 PM
RE: Local Blow in the War on Christmas.
link to the thread please. i wanna see this!

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
20-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't have done that, but everyone has ones own style. Just reminding that not everyone celebrates christmas for that reason and maybe pointing to the non-christian roots of christmas would have been enough. That forum isn't about religion (or is it?), and the thread is about christmas lights after all, so that billboard seems a little provocative and rude.
I think that'll make you seem like an ass to them.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
20-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I coulda let it slide, but they do it all the time. Recently somebody started a thread about how they had a drug problem as a child and they turned out just fine. They were drug to church, drug to do chores, drug home and whooped when they misbehaved and they turned out just fine. That got a lot of attaboys, so I mentioned that those who were drug to church make up a disproportionately high percentage of those in prison. This got them all telling me they were praying for me, and wishing me a Merry Christmas (which made no sense in context).

Was I confrontational? Sure. We need to be. I don't think I was out of line. A holiday lights contest is not an invitation to preach.

BTW, my post is still the last post on the thread. Nobody has challenged me this time. I think maybe they got the point.
06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
And here I thought the "war on christmas" was one of Bill O'Reilly's coo coo invented conspiracy theories. Please tell me we're not trying to start a "war on christmas?"
06-01-2011, 11:32 PM
The war is very real. The Christian right starts one every year.
07-01-2011, 10:57 AM

I'm pretty sure they'll think you're trolling, and they'll either ignore you or lash back out.
...Results?
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2011, 10:55 PM
(06-01-2011 11:32 PM)gamutman Wrote:  The war is very real. The Christian right starts one every year.

They make that up in their heads and have from the very beginning. Who's involved in this supposed "war" anyway?

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
08-01-2011, 09:09 PM
(07-01-2011 10:55 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 11:32 PM)gamutman Wrote:  The war is very real. The Christian right starts one every year.

They make that up in their heads and have from the very beginning. Who's involved in this supposed "war" anyway?

From what I've seen, Bill O'reilly's favorite target is the ACLU, example of him misquoting a letter from them below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBig928zYgY
09-01-2011, 07:30 PM
FAUX NEWS !

faux /foʊ/ Show Spelled [foh]
–adjective - artificial or imitation; fake: a brooch with faux pearls.
Origin: 1670–80; < F; OF fals < L falsus false

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.