Local Folklore

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Local Folklore
Since we're from all over the place here, I thought it would be fun to share anecdotes of local legends/folklore...I'm originally from southern New Jersey, so I get dibs on the Jersey Devil. As a kid we didn't have access to the stories themselves, but somehow we'd learned it had wings and hooves...every time we heard a scary noise or were playing Bloody Mary or something, it was The Jersey Devil, "aaaagghhhhh!!"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil

Y'all's turn Smile

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2012, 08:20 PM
RE: Local Folklore
'Manipogo' is the Manitoba (central Canada) version of the Loch Ness monster. Since it was a lake monster I didn't expect to see it. Even when I was at the lake it supposedly lives in I don't ever remember worring about it.

There are other legends of monsters in North American lakes such as 'Ogopogo' in British Columbia (western Canada) and 'Champ' in Lake Champlain (north eastern U.S.A.)

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
26-02-2012, 08:26 PM
In Washington state, I grew up with stories of Sasquatch and DB Cooper. I don't think they were the same person.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-02-2012, 08:38 PM
(26-02-2012 08:26 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  In Washington state, I grew up with stories of Sasquatch and DB Cooper. I don't think they were the same person.

I don't think D.B. Cooper has had a shave or bath in a very long time, so you may be wrong about that. Big Grin

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
26-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Goatman. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
26-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Ogopogo related news.

Here

Otherwise where I'm from Abbotsford BC, we grew up with the Ghost dog up by the churchy closed off community. I saw it. It was a dog. Cue spooky music. It was a real dog.

We also had the cult house, which I also saw by driving to it and looking at it. We went at night for ample spookiness. If it were a horror movie I suppose I'd be dead now. But alas it wasn't. It still exists, though the old tenants are long gone. They were indeed a cult. Too bad they were just douchebags in robes and not like satan worshippers or something cool.

We had all sorts of ghost related things, due mostly to having crappy weather and lots of forested areas. Not much has changed there.

More recently the Chilliwack area had a rash of UFO sightings just over Cultus Lake. You may judge me sourly, but go fuck yourselves. I saw them too. Every morning for about three weeks. Bright and early during the summer. Lots of them. Don't know what they were. Sorry. Saw one pretty close actually. Round and silver. Like a ball. Don't think too poorly of me, not that I mind, but I feel the need to remind you all that I am not saying what it was. Could have been metal boogers from god.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Loch Ness Monster...the Loch is about 30 miles from where I live.

I havent seen the monster...But even its absence brings in a ton of tourist money to the local community...so it's not an entirely bad thing, and the loch is stunning.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ