Local Heroes and Legends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2012, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 02:53 PM by Dark Light.)
Local Heroes and Legends
Share your local pride! Who is someone from your area, who you really admire? Maybe you were born near the same place as Isaac Newton, or Buzz Aldrin, Stonewall Jackson. It could be anyone. Why do you look up to them? While there have been a several famous people to come from my area, two in particular come to mind that I admire.

The first is Harry McClintock aka Haywire Mac. He was born in Knoxville, TN in 1882 and worked for a railroad company before running away from home at a very young age. He was a born adventurer, traveling to Africa, The Philippines, China, and all over really. He took jobs as they came, variously being a seaman, worked as a mule-packer to support the troops during the Boxer Rebellion, worked as a cowboy, become an author and poet, but is probably most famous as a hillbilly singer and songwriter. In his songs he often romantisized the life of a "bum", which to him meant essentially being a hobo, taking odd jobs and doing what was needed to survive. He was a successful adventurer, which takes a lot of balls. He never lost his sense of humor, which is appearent in his light-hearted songs. His most famous songs are Big Rock Candy Mountain, and Hallelujah, I'm a Bum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haywire_Mac

The other man that comes to mind, Admiral David Farragut was born in Campbells Station, TN in 1801. His naval service spanned a forty year career, including service for the US Navy in the War of 1812, and the American Civil War. He was an all-around badass killing pirates and rebels in the Battle of Mobile Bay. Facing almost certain death he will forever be remembered for is famous quote "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" His service was between 1812 and 1868, and he served as a pallbearer at President Lincoln's funeral, he has been on American postage twice, and his hometown was renamed Farragut. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_Farragut

Alright, ready to hear from you folks. I love learning history, so lets have it.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 03:49 PM
RE: Local Heroes and Legends
(06-11-2012 02:49 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Share your local pride! Who is someone from your area, who you really admire? Maybe you were born near the same place as Isaac Newton, or Buzz Aldrin, Stonewall Jackson. It could be anyone. Why do you look up to them? While there have been a several famous people to come from my area, two in particular come to mind that I admire.

The first is Harry McClintock aka Haywire Mac. He was born in Knoxville, TN in 1882 and worked for a railroad company before running away from home at a very young age. He was a born adventurer, traveling to Africa, The Philippines, China, and all over really. He took jobs as they came, variously being a seaman, worked as a mule-packer to support the troops during the Boxer Rebellion, worked as a cowboy, become an author and poet, but is probably most famous as a hillbilly singer and songwriter. In his songs he often romantisized the life of a "bum", which to him meant essentially being a hobo, taking odd jobs and doing what was needed to survive. He was a successful adventurer, which takes a lot of balls. He never lost his sense of humor, which is appearent in his light-hearted songs. His most famous songs are Big Rock Candy Mountain, and Hallelujah, I'm a Bum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haywire_Mac

The other man that comes to mind, Admiral David Farragut was born in Campbells Station, TN in 1801. His naval service spanned a forty year career, including service for the US Navy in the War of 1812, and the American Civil War. He was an all-around badass killing pirates and rebels in the Battle of Mobile Bay. Facing almost certain death he will forever be remembered for is famous quote "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" His service was between 1812 and 1868, and he served as a pallbearer at President Lincoln's funeral, he has been on American postage twice, and his hometown was renamed Farragut. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_Farragut

Alright, ready to hear from you folks. I love learning history, so lets have it.

A long-time resident of the town I have lived in (Harvard) for many years, Willard Van Orman Quine was a philosopher whose books I used in undergraduate philosophy courses. He was Daniel Dennett's thesis advisor at Harvard University.

Lynn Jennings, world champion distance runner grew up in Harvard.

The actor, Steve Carell, grew up in the same town I did (Acton).

Big Bird is from my town, too. One of his daughters was in my class at school.

Singer/songwriter Bill Morrissey was a friend of mine in high school - I played percussion in his first band, we played on the soccer team together.

Isaac Davis (1745–1775), Captain of the Acton Minutemen at the Old North Bridge in Concord at the Battle of Lexington and Concord; the first officer to die in the American Revolution.

Dr. John "Dropkick" Murphy c. 1910-1975 wrestler, boxer, podiatrist, and Bellows Farm Sanatorium owner namesake of the Boston-based band Dropkick Murphys.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply