Local Politics - Maryland

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2012, 11:16 AM
RE: Local Politics - Maryland
(13-02-2012 09:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have not been too concerned about the effects primarily because I see this as a human rights issue. If there are negatives they are outweighed by the positive.

It is a human rights issue and needs to be addressed, but like any public policy matter, it needs to be studied to identify any unintended consequences and how they will be addressed. There's no reason this can't be worked out to have no public policy negatives.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2012, 03:11 PM
(13-02-2012 11:16 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(13-02-2012 09:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have not been too concerned about the effects primarily because I see this as a human rights issue. If there are negatives they are outweighed by the positive.

It is a human rights issue and needs to be addressed, but like any public policy matter, it needs to be studied to identify any unintended consequences and how they will be addressed. There's no reason this can't be worked out to have no public policy negatives.

I think the only difference here is that I say human rights first, grind off the rough edges later.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2012, 03:17 PM
There's never time to do it right, and always time to do it again?
13-02-2012, 05:20 PM
(13-02-2012 03:17 PM)Jeff Wrote:  There's never time to do it right, and always time to do it again?

Civil marriage defined as between two people instead of only between a man and a woman.
Not fucking complicated.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
13-02-2012, 05:33 PM
(13-02-2012 05:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-02-2012 03:17 PM)Jeff Wrote:  There's never time to do it right, and always time to do it again?

Civil marriage defined as between two people instead of only between a man and a woman.
Not fucking complicated.

I think Jeff's cool with that as long as we call it garriage...lol

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
13-02-2012, 08:56 PM
(09-02-2012 07:27 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  Marriage equality legislation is on the docket, again, in Maryland - but I think there are some Marylanders here on the forum, so it might serve a larger purpose.

I mean where's the resistance coming from? Western panhandle? Let's just give it to West Virginia and get it off our books. Eastern shore? Well it's always felt like a suburb of Delaware anyways.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-02-2012, 09:36 AM
(13-02-2012 08:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 07:27 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  Marriage equality legislation is on the docket, again, in Maryland - but I think there are some Marylanders here on the forum, so it might serve a larger purpose.

I mean where's the resistance coming from? Western panhandle? Let's just give it to West Virginia and get it off our books. Eastern shore? Well it's always felt like a suburb of Delaware anyways.

Maryland is an interesting state. The "liberal" strongholds are the City of Baltimore, PG and Montgomery counties; however, this particular issue doesn't fit neatly into conservative v. liberal politics. PG County is the largest majority African-American county in the US and 9 times out of ten supports broad Democrat agendas - marriage equality splits the county - which is why Governor O'Malley is stumping with black preachers that are willing to get behind the legislation. Montgomery county is undoubtedly the largest supporter.

Anne Arundel county (my county) is conservative leaning, but many (not too many) conservatives support marriage equality and have thrown their support in legislative hearings. It is certainly an issue that doesn't fit neatly into ideological camps.

Jeff brought up a point earlier claiming that I'm fighting this issue from a "religious" perspective" which I've tried to make clear that I am not - apparently I've not communicated that well...I look at this as nothing more than a civil rights issue. The arguments against marriage equality, are nearly all based on religious belief. The reason I bring up Jim Crow is not to play a "racist" card but to make the comparison that the same arguments provided against integration, mixed marriage, etc, are all recycled on this issue. God doesn't want X...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
14-02-2012, 09:48 AM
(14-02-2012 09:36 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  I look at this as nothing more than a civil rights issue. The arguments against marriage equality, are nearly all based on religious belief.

I say again for possible penetration - if your opponents are fighting you on religious grounds, then you are by definition fighting them on religious grounds. You need to change the public conversation to one of public policy and show no harm to the institution.
14-02-2012, 10:35 AM
(14-02-2012 09:48 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(14-02-2012 09:36 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  I look at this as nothing more than a civil rights issue. The arguments against marriage equality, are nearly all based on religious belief.

I say again for possible penetration - if your opponents are fighting you on religious grounds, then you are by definition fighting them on religious grounds. You need to change the public conversation to one of public policy and show no harm to the institution.

Still talking past each other...

The argument is framed as a civil right - you are viewing it through the prism you wish to view it in...

What I'm interested in hearing is how your proposal of garriage is so incredibly thought out and strategic and what studies have you done that show there is no harm to public policy in creating an entirely new institution...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
14-02-2012, 10:48 AM
(14-02-2012 10:35 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Still talking past each other...

Agreed

(14-02-2012 10:35 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  The argument is framed as a civil right - you are viewing it through the prism you wish to view it in...

You are the one who said "The arguments against marriage equality, are nearly all based on religious belief."

(14-02-2012 10:35 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  What I'm interested in hearing is how your proposal of garriage is so incredibly thought out and strategic and what studies have you done that show there is no harm to public policy in creating an entirely new institution...

Garriage is my name for the idea of creating a separate but equivalent institution, to avoid inter-mingling the case law, unless it is shown that doing so poses no harm.