Locke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Locke
I spent an entire minute of my life trying to come up with a creative thread subject, but in the end decided this one was probably pretty fitting.

I'm Locke, 21 years old and studying Biomedical Engineering. I love knowledge, love learning and improving, and do my best to take advantage of every opportunity to do so, which is every moment of every day.

I'm a Christian. I don't care for argument, so I won't waste time engaging in pointless debates (i.e. ontological arguments, poorly researched scientific claims, pseudoscience, etc.) and I don't feel obligated to reply to pointless jabs so.. don't expect me to Smile

I'm not here to convert people, I have plenty of real life opportunities to do that stuff. I never try to shove my views down someone's throat, but I do love talking about them. You'll probably find a lot of them to be unconventional - I do extensive research before believing anything, and I don't believe anything I can't back up. When I find something I can't back up when I thought I could.. well, I stop believing it.

I'm not here to be top forum poster of the week, make up for a lack of relationships or even to get my point across. I like to expose myself to lots of different viewpoints, so I'll probably just read more than anything else. As Mark Twain put it, "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." I think that statement applies not only to books, but to any realm of knowledge.

[Image: AJqsKtG.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Locke's post
06-08-2014, 05:12 PM
RE: Locke
(06-08-2014 05:06 PM)Locke Wrote:  I spent an entire minute of my life trying to come up with a creative thread subject, but in the end decided this one was probably pretty fitting.

I'm Locke, 21 years old and studying Biomedical Engineering. I love knowledge, love learning and improving, and do my best to take advantage of every opportunity to do so, which is every moment of every day.

I'm a Christian. I don't care for argument, so I won't waste time engaging in pointless debates (i.e. ontological arguments, poorly researched scientific claims, pseudoscience, etc.) and I don't feel obligated to reply to pointless jabs so.. don't expect me to Smile

I'm not here to convert people, I have plenty of real life opportunities to do that stuff. I never try to shove my views down someone's throat, but I do love talking about them. You'll probably find a lot of them to be unconventional - I do extensive research before believing anything, and I don't believe anything I can't back up. When I find something I can't back up when I thought I could.. well, I stop believing it.

I'm not here to be top forum poster of the week, make up for a lack of relationships or even to get my point across. I like to expose myself to lots of different viewpoints, so I'll probably just read more than anything else. As Mark Twain put it, "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." I think that statement applies not only to books, but to any realm of knowledge.

I love Twain. His house here in CT is fantastic.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
06-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Welcome, I guess. So, dive into whatever thread interests you.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
06-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Welcome!

Hopefully you will find yourself having some good conversations. I also love Twain.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your time here!

[Image: notagain.gif]
06-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Welcome,
Let me make sure I got this right.
You're a Christian on an atheist forum, you don't want to argue or debate.
You're not trying to convert anyone, you just want us all to listen to what you have to say and shut up about it.
Good luck with that champ!
06-08-2014, 06:28 PM
(06-08-2014 05:06 PM)Locke Wrote:  I spent an entire minute of my life trying to come up with a creative thread subject, but in the end decided this one was probably pretty fitting.

Awesome! Welcome to our community, and hope you enjoy it here.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-08-2014, 06:46 PM
(06-08-2014 06:24 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Welcome,
You're not trying to convert anyone, you just want us all to listen to what you have to say and shut up about it.

I chose to interpret the post as meaning: he wants to lurk and read. He'd like to avoid debates, and doesn't plan on posting much.

Hope so, we don't mind lurkers, respectable debates, or even heated debates. One thing that isn't looked upon kindly is proselytizing or conversion efforts.

Welcome Locke! Hope you have happy reading, and don't be afraid to jump in if you want to chat Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
06-08-2014, 06:50 PM
(06-08-2014 06:46 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 06:24 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Welcome,

I chose to interpret the post as meaning: he wants to lurk and read. He'd like to avoid debates, and doesn't plan on posting much.

Hope so, we don't mind lurkers, respectable debates, or even heated debates. One thing that isn't looked upon kindly is proselytizing or conversion efforts.

Welcome Locke! Hope you have happy reading, and don't be afraid to jump in if you want to chat Big Grin

Quote:I never try to shove my views down someone's throat, but I do love talking about them.

I thought so too until I read this line. Big Grin
06-08-2014, 06:51 PM
(06-08-2014 06:50 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 06:46 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I chose to interpret the post as meaning: he wants to lurk and read. He'd like to avoid debates, and doesn't plan on posting much.

Quote:I never try to shove my views down someone's throat, but I do love talking about them.

I thought so too until I read this line. Big Grin

Ah, you got me there! Tongue

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post