Logic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Logic
Hey there. As this site calls itself "The Thinking Atheist", I assume that it has at least a passing interest in logic, at least as it applies to theological matters. So I thought I would help out a little.
Theistic arguments are often a mess of logical fallacies - breaks in their validity. These fallacies are often subtle and difficult to spot unless you know what you're looking for. So, to help you guys out, I thought I'd post this:

Nizkor <-That's a link

Nizkor is a Holocaust information database dedicated to refuting conspiracy theorists' claims that it never happened. But it also happens to have a fairly detailed list of the various logical fallacies, which is what I've linked to.
I hope this helps you guys the next time someone tries to shove the cosmological argument in your face (here's a hint: special pleading).

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
24-09-2015, 10:47 AM
RE: Logic
[Image: re-animator-505ab154e9daf.jpg]

Muahahaha! Evil_monster

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Uh... huh. And why the necromancy, then? This is a five-year-old thread.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
24-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Because five-year-olds make for the best zombies.

[Image: 21cbb5f0dd1bcd89ecf1075e5735495b.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
26-09-2015, 08:57 PM
(24-09-2015 10:47 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  [Image: re-animator-505ab154e9daf.jpg]

Muahahaha! Evil_monster

Igor bring me the super concentrated chicken fat with 33% vegetable oil mixed in it, i must inject it into the subjects BRAIN!!!!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
26-09-2015, 09:13 PM
(24-09-2015 10:51 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Uh... huh. And why the necromancy, then? This is a five-year-old thread.

Sometimes it feels like fuckers just like to necro old-ass threads...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-09-2015, 01:55 PM
(16-12-2009 08:21 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Hey there. As this site calls itself "The Thinking Atheist", I assume that it has at least a passing interest in logic, at least as it applies to theological matters. So I thought I would help out a little.
Theistic arguments are often a mess of logical fallacies - breaks in their validity. These fallacies are often subtle and difficult to spot unless you know what you're looking for. So, to help you guys out, I thought I'd post this:

Nizkor <-That's a link

Nizkor is a Holocaust information database dedicated to refuting conspiracy theorists' claims that it never happened. But it also happens to have a fairly detailed list of the various logical fallacies, which is what I've linked to.
I hope this helps you guys the next time someone tries to shove the cosmological argument in your face (here's a hint: special pleading).

Uh-huh. Is it special pleading, then, to point out that both science (law of conservation of matter and energy) and the scriptures (Genesis 1) indicate that a whole bunch of matter and light (this universe) arose suddenly from empty space/in expanding space?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
28-09-2015, 01:58 PM
(28-09-2015 01:55 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-12-2009 08:21 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Hey there. As this site calls itself "The Thinking Atheist", I assume that it has at least a passing interest in logic, at least as it applies to theological matters. So I thought I would help out a little.

Nizkor <-That's a link

Uh-huh. Is it special pleading, then, to point out that both science (law of conservation of matter and energy) and the scriptures (Genesis 1) indicate that a whole bunch of matter and light (this universe) arose suddenly from empty space/in expanding space?

Q, can you confirm for me again - who authored the book of genesis?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
28-09-2015, 02:03 PM
(28-09-2015 01:55 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Is it special pleading, then, to point out that both science (law of conservation of matter and energy) and the scriptures (Genesis 1) indicate that a whole bunch of matter and light (this universe) arose suddenly from empty space/in expanding space?

Yes, thank you for not reading the date on that post and continuing to participate in the needless necromancy of a five-year-old thread.

05-10-2015, 01:45 PM
(28-09-2015 01:58 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 01:55 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Uh-huh. Is it special pleading, then, to point out that both science (law of conservation of matter and energy) and the scriptures (Genesis 1) indicate that a whole bunch of matter and light (this universe) arose suddenly from empty space/in expanding space?

Q, can you confirm for me again - who authored the book of genesis?

Many Christians and Jews believe God shared the details of Genesis with Moses as amanuensis/scribe. That is aligns with science's best-to-date knowledge of the beginning is profound and a hallmark of its divine authorship.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.