Logic, Interpretation, and Bias

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Logic, Interpretation, and Bias
I have been asking questions simply to see if people could respond without bias and use logical responses. It was a simple little study around the forums and chats for my own personal understanding and curiosity. It angered some people I'm sure but basically I was trying to see if people could respond.

Over all the responses were a majority very biased even though they attempted. Emotions became involved and bias stuck its head out. I took a recent test at school and my logic and interpretation was nearly 100% but my bias was lower. My average was pretty high. Don't ask me how because the questions were very weird. I've since been trying to work on my bias. This is a tough one Smile

Has anyone ever taken a critical thinking test before? If so how did you do?

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2012, 05:47 PM
RE: Logic, Interpretation, and Bias
I'm not sure if I have or not. I've never taken any formal tests in anything with that being its intent. I wouldn't remember if I took any online test in that department. but to point something out.

I've noticed you constantly doing that but your putting out what I thought almost was on a logical fallacy, but I couldn't find exactly what one it would be.

You've routinely said, Atheists mostly use logic or atheists are supposed to be the ones who use logic... etc.

You are making a wide generalization and listing that, Logical thinking and atheist have too or ought to be linked together.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
10-04-2012, 06:01 PM
(10-04-2012 05:47 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'm not sure if I have or not. I've never taken any formal tests in anything with that being its intent. I wouldn't remember if I took any online test in that department. but to point something out.

I've noticed you constantly doing that but your putting out what I thought almost was on a logical fallacy, but I couldn't find exactly what one it would be.

You've routinely said, Atheists mostly use logic or atheists are supposed to be the ones who use logic... etc.

You are making a wide generalization and listing that, Logical thinking and atheist have too or ought to be linked together.
That wasn't part of my little thing, although it is my hope that atheists use logic properly and critical thinking or they could fall back into the illogical religious BS. It wasn't strictly on this site either as I mentioned. Atheism is the non-belief in a deity and yes this is due to a basic use of logic. Routinely would imply I have mentioned it many times; which this is not the case.

For it to be a generalization would imply that some Atheists do not use logic. -You have to unlock the door of your car, logically you would get your keys out.- Everyone uses logic at some point in their lives.

— idiot adjective

10-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I can take those tests and fail horribly due to my subjective view of the english language =p. I've yet to take a test which has not suggested I'm somehow psychotic =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 3 users Like Lilith Pride's post
10-04-2012, 06:23 PM
(10-04-2012 06:16 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I can take those tests and fail horribly due to my subjective view of the english language =p. I've yet to take a test which has not suggested I'm somehow psychotic =p
lmao Lilith just too funny! Tongue

— idiot adjective

10-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm proud of my bias though often enough I seem to lack the ability to properly display it in my debates >.>

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-04-2012, 07:30 PM
(10-04-2012 06:01 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  
(10-04-2012 05:47 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'm not sure if I have or not. I've never taken any formal tests in anything with that being its intent. I wouldn't remember if I took any online test in that department. but to point something out.

That wasn't part of my little thing, although it is my hope that atheists use logic properly and critical thinking or they could fall back into the illogical religious BS. It wasn't strictly on this site either as I mentioned. Atheism is the non-belief in a deity and yes this is due to a basic use of logic. Routinely would imply I have mentioned it many times; which this is not the case.

For it to be a generalization would imply that some Atheists do not use logic. -You have to unlock the door of your car, logically you would get your keys out.- Everyone uses logic at some point in their lives.
I just took some creative tests online, one I got a rank of rational, one was more serious and had weirder questions, I got a bit over half right but with some guesses in there.. what sucked is it had no explanations of some of the questioned I didn't agree with... One being that supposedly Ice:Snow was the correct answer to what is comparable to Dinosaur:Dragon. I'm clueless on that one.

My point wasn't the lowest level of using logic. It's been your stance on demanding just logic in reasons. You say you haven't used it multiple times? I am assured you have. Just clear in the topics of the NAP and the swearing question. I've seen the argument brought up I thought in the politics thread. It's in the very least brought an interesting approach to the table.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-04-2012, 07:32 PM
The only "critical thinking test" that I am aware of is the IAT - Implicit Association Test, which tests your personal bias in a very clever way. For instance, in testing racial bias, you're given the instructions to press one button for "pictures of whites and positive words" and another button for "pictures of blacks and negative words". Then you're shown words or pictures, and you have to click the button matching that word (positive or negative) or that picture (white or black person). After a series of this (in which your responses are timed), the rules are changed up so that you click a button for black pics/positive words and white pics/negative words. After a few sessions of this, you're told what your implicit bias is based on how quickly or slowly you answered with certain pairings. If you are racist (and apparently I am according to the test results), then you find it harder to quickly click the button when it pairs positive statements with a certain race. I've also fiound out that I'm biased for Christianity and against Islam and Judaism, although that's probably due to my former Christianity.

If you know of another test, please link to it. I'd be interested in trying it out.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
10-04-2012, 07:33 PM
My ass is definitely hetero. No bi-ass here.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post