Logic Proof for God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2015, 09:22 AM
RE: Logic Proof for God
(18-03-2015 09:18 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:00 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  So I can't question existence of Universe? Sounds like religion to me
Meaning existence happens whether its known or not and doesn't need an explanation.
Why?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2015, 09:28 AM
(18-03-2015 09:22 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:18 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Meaning existence happens whether its known or not and doesn't need an explanation.
Why?

Why would it? It's here, it exists. You can question many parts of it like how it began but no matter what you question it won't take away the fact that it exists. It's like opening your fridge and seeing an apple and asking why it exists. You don't need to explain why it exists and whether you do or not, the apple will still be there. You can question things like "How did it get into my fridge." but not explaining the apples existence will not make it disappear.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
18-03-2015, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2015 09:34 AM by true scotsman.)
(18-03-2015 09:00 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 08:51 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  It is the fundamental flaw of theism. Existence is not contingent on any explanation. All explanations are contingent on existence.
So I can't question existence of Universe? Sounds like religion to me
Of course you can, but the question is incoherent. There cannot be an infinite regress of explanations. And since explanations presuppose something that exists asking for one for existence as a whole is nonsensical.

The concept existence is axiomatic. Axiomatic concepts are implicit in any explanation. That's why you are committing the fallacy of the stolen concept in asking for one.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
18-03-2015, 09:40 AM
(18-03-2015 09:28 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:22 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  Why?
You don't need to explain why it exists
I do. So why is questioning existence of Universe prohibited in atheism?
18-03-2015, 09:43 AM
(18-03-2015 09:40 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:28 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  You don't need to explain why it exists
I do. So why is questioning existence of Universe is prohibited in atheism?
You need an explanation for the universe but not for your God?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
18-03-2015, 09:44 AM
I do. So why is questioning existence of Universe is prohibited in atheism?

It's not. Claiming an unevidenced cause is not intellectually acceptable.

One can posit causes, just not claim them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2015, 09:54 AM
(15-03-2015 11:20 AM)kselfri Wrote:  1) Logic exists everywhere in the universe.
2) Logic is thought.
3) Thought only comes from a mind.
Therefore, a mind created the universe.

Premise #2 could use some explanation, so I'll add the following:
Logic, in its various forms (including mathematics) has been something we discover, not something invented by man. It is not matter or energy. It does not require any dimensions in order to exist, and can exist outside the universe. What else is left for it to be, except thought?

First, we do not know that logic "exists" throughout the universe (I would use the word apply here, since logic is not a tangible thing). This alone breaks the proof, but since it's a rather safe assumption I'll let you have it.
Secondly, logic is thought. Correct.
Thirdly, thought does come from the mind. Correct.
Lastly, your conclusion just came out of nowhere. Using your explanation, we have discovered how to think and how the universe works but that does not mean we affected the things we learned about. For example: the earth rotates around the sun on an axis. If we never figured this out, would the earth stop its rotation? No. Minds do not affect the universe, only an organism's perception of the universe.

Atir aissom atir imon
18-03-2015, 09:56 AM
(18-03-2015 09:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:40 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  I do. So why is questioning existence of Universe is prohibited in atheism?

It's not.
true scotsman just said it's fallacy
18-03-2015, 09:58 AM
(18-03-2015 09:56 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 09:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  It's not.
true scotsman just said it's fallacy

Well, we know the universe exists; if you are questioning that, then I fear for your sanity.

I assumed you meant questioning the cause of its existence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2015, 10:07 AM
I do. So why is questioning existence of Universe prohibited in atheism?

It's not, as I explained, you can question many parts of existence of the universe, you can question how it came to be and how it works. You can question about the matter that makes up the universe and like why does this planet exists etc. but questioning existence as a whole is utterly useless and pointless. If existence wasn't true then you wouldn't be able to try and explain it in the first place.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze