Logic vs. Theism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-03-2017, 09:07 PM
RE: Logic vs. Theism
(06-03-2017 08:59 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 04:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  My my. Aren't we just the little Miss Coulter.
You do make quite the number of ASSertions there sport. Are you always this dogmatically pontifical ? Have you thought of trying out for Pope ? Your stament about ethics is bullshit. Cultures CHANGE. Ethics change. You can't possibly be saying that in 2017 we are worse off than in 1817. You failed to say how we are worse off and doomed. You failed to demonstrate your BS about feminism being "standard attributes" of decaying cultures. Which ONES exactly are you speaking about ?

This is a perfect example of modern thinking. It rejects inductive reasoning, rejecting the idea that the same ethical principles that have created successful cultures throughout history apply today. I hate modern culture with a passion, I will enjoy watching its decline and the associated suffering of its disgusting population.

So you're gay. Get over it.

It "rejects" nothing, bozo. Assertion with no evidence.
What "ethical principles" are you even talking about ? You have posted no support for ethics making cultures successful, or what that even means.
No one cares what you hate, and find disgusting.

It is interesting that someone figured out people like you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2017, 09:08 PM
(06-03-2017 07:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 02:33 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  In Exodus 3:13-14, God refuses to be defined. So assigning the attribute of will to God isn't right.

One teensy weensy problem there sport.
God didn't write it. Ancient (relatively ignorant) human beings wrote it.
The Judean priests assembled, edited, redacted and wrote the texts that ended up in the 1st 4 books in the Bible. We know where the material came from, and approximately when they wrote it. One of the later books actually describes when they brought it back and presented it to Israel. I'll leave that for you to figure out.

Of course people wrote it. They portrayed God as refusing definition to explain their point of view that the God concept should not be strictly defined. That's all there is to it, so no problem.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2017, 09:12 PM
(06-03-2017 09:08 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 07:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One teensy weensy problem there sport.
God didn't write it. Ancient (relatively ignorant) human beings wrote it.
The Judean priests assembled, edited, redacted and wrote the texts that ended up in the 1st 4 books in the Bible. We know where the material came from, and approximately when they wrote it. One of the later books actually describes when they brought it back and presented it to Israel. I'll leave that for you to figure out.

Of course people wrote it. They portrayed God as refusing definition to explain their point of view that the God concept should not be strictly defined. That's all there is to it, so no problem.

One thing wrong. Scholars of Hebrew culture know that's NOT what they thought about the gods. You made it up. There are countless examples of their defining their god with very specific attributes, (getting angry, etc etc etc). Just because you know nothing about ancient Hebrew culture, doesn't justify making up shit. They very specifically thought their deity was present in their temple.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2017, 09:31 PM
(06-03-2017 02:06 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I recognize beyond any reasonable doubt that the forces of nature do indeed act on human history.

(06-03-2017 08:54 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  Give me an example.

Annual flooding of the Nile permitting the advancement of agriculture in Egypt.

Migrations of various communities due to climate change or availability of food.

Creation of calendars and establishment of festivals based on the change of the seasons and observations of astronomical bodies.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
06-03-2017, 09:33 PM
(06-03-2017 08:59 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  I hate modern culture with a passion, I will enjoy watching its decline and the associated suffering of its disgusting population. {emphasis mine}

There is something horribly, tragically wrong with you if you are looking forward to other people suffering.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 5 users Like Astreja's post
06-03-2017, 09:38 PM
(06-03-2017 09:33 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 08:59 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  I hate modern culture with a passion, I will enjoy watching its decline and the associated suffering of its disgusting population. {emphasis mine}

There is something horribly, tragically wrong with you if you are looking forward to other people suffering.

It's a very typical scenario.
He hates himself.

06-03-2017, 10:33 PM
(06-03-2017 09:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's a very typical scenario.
He hates himself.

Using "modern culture" and its anticipated demise at the command of an all-powerful, implacable and unstoppable overlord as a symbol for that which he wishes to destroy in himself?

07-03-2017, 06:22 AM
(06-03-2017 09:05 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 06:47 PM)mordant Wrote:  I would say that we have thoughts and experiences that we can use to inform understandings of reality that usefully approach an accurate model of truth.
Accurate in what sense? Your definition of truth here depends on your definition of accurate.
Sufficiently accurate models would have explanatory and predictive power, such that they could be put to some reliable use in the betterment of people's lives.

For example, the vast array of applied technology such as the inconvenienced electrons we are currently using to have this conversation, demonstrate the accuracy of science and the efficacy of the scientific method. I do not recall any patents being granted based on theology.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
07-03-2017, 07:11 AM
(06-03-2017 08:59 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  ...
I hate modern culture with a passion, I will enjoy watching its decline and the associated suffering of its disgusting population.

So you're what? You're pro-pre-modern?

(06-03-2017 09:01 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  ...
the forces of nature are human concepts.

Ahhh! A post-modernist.

Got it. Hence the amoral nihilism.

Nice.

Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-03-2017, 07:15 AM
(06-03-2017 09:01 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  Explaining deep metaphysical ideas in short forum posts probably won't work.

Especially when they are incoherent.

Quote: I posted 2 books in an earlier post in this thread that explain the ideas in detail.

Unless I have some indication that there is anything worth pursuing I have no interest in your book recommendations. So far I find your claims to be pointless, disgusting, or both.

The impression you make is that of somebody who has failed and is mad at the world for not recognizing a genius that only he can see. Free clue: maybe it isn't everybody else.

Quote: But to answer your question, the forces of nature are human concepts.

Then we have a fundamental disagreement on the nature of reality. I do not accept solipsistic views as being meaningful or useful.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post