Logic vs. Theism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-03-2017, 02:49 AM
RE: Logic vs. Theism
I'm struggling with "mental resonance".

I feel like I just stepped in some woo poo.

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
06-03-2017, 02:52 AM
(06-03-2017 02:37 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 02:29 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  That's a good question since he affirms that ideas in the mind have no correspondence with anything in reality and thus have no objective meaning and therefore are impossible to communicate. I guess mental telepathy is the only option.

You are just ridiculing what you don't understand (unfortunately a common practice among atheists). What communication does is to produce mental resonance based on the shared aspects of minds. If 2 minds had nothing in common, then they couldn't communicate.

I understand just fine. What the hell is a "mental resonance". Oh that's right, you can't tell me since this idea of yours has no objective meaning. There you have it folks, right from the horses mouth. Truth has no objective meaning. It corresponds to what's in one's mind. A is not A but it is whatever is in the mind of an individual. You can't get more subjective than this and it is an explicit affirmation of the primacy of consciousness.

This is your brain on theism.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
06-03-2017, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 02:57 AM by true scotsman.)
(06-03-2017 02:52 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 02:37 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  You are just ridiculing what you don't understand (unfortunately a common practice among atheists). What communication does is to produce mental resonance based on the shared aspects of minds. If 2 minds had nothing in common, then they couldn't communicate.

I understand just fine. I ridicule what deserves ridiculing. What the hell is a "mental resonance". Oh that's right, you can't tell me since this idea of yours has no objective meaning. There you have it folks, right from the horses mouth. Truth has no objective meaning. It corresponds to what's in one's mind. A is not A but it is whatever is in the mind of an individual. You can't get more subjective than this and it is an explicit affirmation of the primacy of consciousness.

This is your brain on theism.

Sorry for this double post. I guess my mind is racing with all the pregnant implications in fschmidts comments. Not paying attention to what I'm doing.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
06-03-2017, 02:59 AM
(06-03-2017 02:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm struggling with "mental resonance".

Dodgy

It's a super power.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
06-03-2017, 03:00 AM
Thank you for demonstrating every word of my OP fschmidt. I promise folks, he is not a sock puppet I created.

06-03-2017, 03:01 AM
(06-03-2017 02:59 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 02:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm struggling with "mental resonance".

Dodgy

It's a super power.
I feel like I'm up to my neck in it and sinking fast.

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
06-03-2017, 03:13 AM
(06-03-2017 03:00 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Thank you for demonstrating every word of my OP fschmidt. I promise folks, he is not a sock puppet I created.

Hah! Took the words out of my mouth. I was about to accuse you of that ... in jest of course.

The timing of the arrival of our new member could not have been better for your argument.

Now I believe in predestinerminism©

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-03-2017, 03:16 AM
(06-03-2017 03:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 03:00 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Thank you for demonstrating every word of my OP fschmidt. I promise folks, he is not a sock puppet I created.

Hah! Took the words out of my mouth. I was about to accuse you of that ... in jest of course.

The timing of the arrival of our new member could not have been better for your argument.

Now I believe in predestinerminism©

Big Grin

Yes I could see how you could accuse me. It's just a little too perfect.

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
06-03-2017, 03:32 AM
(06-03-2017 01:22 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 01:15 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  You say that you reject the law of identity but by identifying the law of identity as opposed to some other law, you make use of the very thing you deny.

Statements and ideas have identity in my mind. However this doesn't correspond to things in reality or to the ideas in your mind. Each mind is slightly different and communication is imperfect, so we must accept some level of ambiguity in all communications.

I'm trying to decide if this is an instance of the fallacy of pure self-reference. If the ideas in your mind correspond only to the ideas in your mind and not to anything else then it would mean that the ideas in your mind reference only their own objectless reference and that indeed would be pure self-reference.

06-03-2017, 05:42 AM
(06-03-2017 02:37 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  You are just ridiculing what you don't understand (unfortunately a common practice among atheists)...

Better to harmlessly "ridicule" something one doesn't understand than to blindly accept it as the absolute truth, and model one's entire lifestyle, morals and ethics around it.

And unfortunately, many theists—like you—don't even stop, for a second, to question things you don't understand. Your lack of mental acuity lets you accept them as factually preferential. Sad really.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post