Logical Fallacy police action, anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2014, 04:25 AM
RE: Logical Fallacy police action, anyone?
wow, that was morbid. 'Kay, I'm never saying that again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
29-03-2014, 05:07 AM
(29-03-2014 04:14 AM)sporehux Wrote:  I joined a couple but it always felt like I was punching disabled babies in the face whenever I exposed logic holes.
like shooting fish in a barrel eh? it seems like as much as fun as joining "Flat earth society forums"

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
29-03-2014, 07:29 AM
I have experience posting on one Christian site. From my experience, they don't like divergent religious views once you get out of mainstream Christianity. They'll tolerate Christians debating stuff like evolution or whether you get into heaven by works and/or grace. What they get sick of real quickly is "weird" Christians (like geocentrists) and non-Christian views.

I had about a one-month run at the site, following their ToS very closely (dare I say, religiously Tongue ), then they got sick of me. As far as I can tell, the mods were getting reported posts over a period of time, and eventually I just became more trouble than I was worth. Out of nowhere, I had two mods questioning my intentions and creatively interpreting the ToS to say that the only people who can post in the forum are Christians or non-Christians looking to convert. Also, they said it was no place for apologetics. Bear in mind: as a non-believer, I was restricted to a single forum on the entire site: the Apologetics forum. Apparently you can't discuss apologetics there.

So, TL;DR: based on my experiences, even if you're super polite and follow their ToS, I'd give you a good month before you just get banned or until the mods come down on you.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-03-2014, 07:30 AM
(29-03-2014 03:57 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Or we could just go there and do nothing but ask awkward questions. It would probably take longer for them to realise.

I haven't been banned from any christian forum.

I like this idea, but more than just questions it could be stories such as:

Hi, I'm new here and I just don't know where else to turn.
About a year ago I was diagnosed with Lou Gherig's disease .... etc etc

They pray for you for months and then one day you write that this is you last post, the doctors said you've gotten worse and then blame the forum for not praying hard enough...close curtains. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
29-03-2014, 09:32 AM
(29-03-2014 07:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hi, I'm new here and I just don't know where else to turn.

They pray for you for months and then one day you write that this is you last post, the doctors said you've gotten worse and then blame the forum for not praying hard enough...close curtains. Big Grin

Or pretend that you are an undiagnosed schizophrenic who is also a scientist. You hear voices in your head that you think are from God. I am sure that they have plenty of schizophrenics and other people who suffer from hallucinations and no one really says anything. I knew such a person myself when I was 18.

It would be interesting to see whether they would tell you to believe the voices or to get medical help.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
29-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Try forums.catholic.com if you want some genuinely scary people, who think Benedict was a wonderful diplomat to other religions, George W Bush was a "class act" and women should be forced to breed.
29-03-2014, 10:01 AM
(29-03-2014 09:32 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 07:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hi, I'm new here and I just don't know where else to turn.

Or pretend that you are an undiagnosed schizophrenic who is also a scientist. You hear voices in your head that you think are from God. I am sure that they have plenty of schizophrenics and other people who suffer from hallucinations and no one really says anything. I knew such a person myself when I was 18.

It would be interesting to see whether they would tell you to believe the voices or to get medical help.

There are a lot of people like that in the forums I'm in. I feel bad, but also scared. These guys are literally crazy and everyone tells them that they are blessed and shit Confused

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
29-03-2014, 11:03 AM
I know enough of how to blend in, I could do it pretty well. And then introduce my crystal ball and pendulum all of a sudden and mention how Joseph would sometimes scry in his crystal goblet. Then start talking about demons siezing me in my sleep (I've had a couple instances of sleep paralysis) and stuff like that.
29-03-2014, 02:22 PM
(29-03-2014 09:41 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Try forums.catholic.com if you want some genuinely scary people, who think Benedict was a wonderful diplomat to other religions, George W Bush was a "class act" and women should be forced to breed.
I love talking to insane people like that online! its so darn entertaining! half of the insane rationalizations they come up with are ingenious,its like they live in their own little happy place.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
29-03-2014, 02:32 PM
(29-03-2014 02:22 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  I love talking to insane people like that online! its so darn entertaining! half of the insane rationalizations they come up with are ingenious,its like they live in their own little happy place.

Um, yes.

That's the definition of insane.

And there's not a country on earth with a rational support system for mental illness, so the poor sods end up latching onto religion as an explanatory and legitimising framework. That's never going to end well.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post