Logical Fallacy police action, anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2014, 03:57 PM
RE: Logical Fallacy police action, anyone?
I've only been banned from one Christian forum - Suscipe Domine. That's because I, along with others, were collateral damage when they threw a grenade at KC. Dodgy

I'm not sure I want to join in the fun because I find those sites cloyingly sweet, sparkly, and demented. It's painful. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Sounds amusing, but I'm violently allergic to cloying stupidity.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
29-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Why are you people going onto theist forums and PROSELYTISING? There's a hint of hipocracy emerging. Also what would be the point?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
29-03-2014, 06:50 PM
(29-03-2014 04:54 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Why are you people going onto theist forums and PROSELYTISING? There's a hint of hipocracy emerging. Also what would be the point?

I think at least Charis' goal would be to point out logical fallacies. It's not quite the same as proselytizing, but yeah it looks close.

If I were to go again, really, my goal would be to get them to admit that they have their beliefs because of faith, and faith alone, and also to better explain my point of view. The first time I went to a Christian site, telling my side was most of why I was there. I got some of the more level-headed members to see me as an actual human with beliefs different than their own as opposed to a baby-eating monster, a Satan worshiper, or someone who's just mad at God.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-03-2014, 07:00 PM
The perfect candidate is freerepublic.com. If a post is not specifically in the religion forum then you most likely won't get banned. There are lots of creationists and fundamentalists on that forum that come out of the woodwork for every thread about a science article, especially if it has to do with genetics or the age of the Earth. The religion section of the forum has special rules and you will get shut down pretty quickly.
I was told that pointing out fallacies was useless by the Christians over there.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
29-03-2014, 07:09 PM
(29-03-2014 07:29 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, TL;DR: based on my experiences, even if you're super polite and follow their ToS, I'd give you a good month before you just get banned or until the mods come down on you.
I've been a member of Phatmas for a very long time, I hardly participate now because mostly got what I wanted out of it. Plus I find the Catholic way of thinking to be quite depressing really.

They are pretty much hardcore Catholics. They do have a "Hit Squad" who hit you with propaganda and such.

You can pretty much discuss whatever you want over there (sexism a.k.a.women in the clergy, the church's stance on gay marriage, guns, morality, evolution, abortion...)
I doubt you would be banned unless you act like a total dick, even then you would really have to try hard to get banned.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
29-03-2014, 10:15 PM
(28-03-2014 03:26 PM)Charis Wrote:  Anyone feel like flooding a Christian board with atheists?

There would need to be rules so we don't get too out of hand and start eating babies and stuff.

Liiiike MAYBE:

1. Doing nothing except pointing out logical fallacies where they appear in an argument. Not asserting an atheist point of view, at least for about a week, just pointing out logical fallacies. At random. In random threads. Everywhere.

2. No starting threads. Just show up in threads that are already there.

3. Be nice, sociable, etc.

4. No swearing, overt sexual language (wow, that one's going to be hard for me), stuff like that.

5. At least at first, no actual criticism of the Bible itself.... just a logical fallacy police action, as it were. Tongue

I think it would be both funny and informative.

I dunno, Charis, Darling -- there's so much to like about you (and I find it quite amusing that so many who whine about how I interact here failed to realize, or rather completely ignore the fact that I haven't said a single word against you), (though in all honesty the whole "I'M DRUNK AND FARTING ALL OVER THE PLACE" thing left me kind of full of Squick), but what you propose, to me, might as well be, "Hey, let's all get nekkies and wallow in a cesspit!".

Forgive me, 'cause I really do think a lot of you (aside from the little public drunky-farty-thingie, which I'm trying real hard to repress...) if you don't understand my aversion, but all I can do, is go...

[Image: colin-farrell.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-03-2014, 03:01 AM
(29-03-2014 04:54 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Why are you people going onto theist forums and PROSELYTISING? There's a hint of hipocracy emerging. Also what would be the point?

practice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
30-03-2014, 01:34 PM
(30-03-2014 03:01 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

practice

Um, can I sit back and watch this all happening? You see........ I like to watch.

Yeeeessss, I like to watch..........

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-03-2014, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2014 10:28 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(29-03-2014 04:25 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 04:14 AM)sporehux Wrote:  I joined a couple but it always felt like I was punching disabled babies in the face whenever I exposed logic holes.

Looks like someone likes his babies tenderized first?

"I am Michael J. Caboose and I HATE BABIES!" -Caboose

"It's the beast! The anti-flag, come to live among us and rule us for seven years! The end is nigh!" -Red Zealot

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]