Lol at Westboro Baptist Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2010, 06:18 PM
RE: Lol at Westboro Baptist Church
I am a near absolutist on the idea of freedom of speech. Nonviolent expression, in my view, should never be limited by government forces. However, I can live with certain restrictions on time, place and manner of speech.

The Westboro Baptist Church idiots have an absolute right, in my view, to express their despicable view of the world. However, they should not be granted an automatic right to intrude on the grief of the families of men and women who recently died, irrespective of the cause. They should be allowed to spew their hate in the vicinity of funerals of fallen soldiers, but I'm ok with some restrictions that push them back far enough that the families don't need to be subjected to them. That is about the only free speech limitation I can stomach, but I think it's a fair one given the circumstances. And, pushing people back 500 feet or so does not really intrude on their right to prove to the general population that they are idiots.

All that said, these people are really, really sad. What kind of benevolent deity commits wanton slaughter this way? Why would anyone wish to commit their life to worship such a scurrilous thing? What a waste of the limited time we have on this Earth.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2010, 07:26 AM
A new message from the fine folks at Westboro Baptist Church: if you're going to the San Diego Comic Con, you're an idolater who's on the road to hell.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/07/remi...to_hel.php

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
29-07-2010, 10:21 AM

Freedom of speech is great. Protesting funerals for fallen soldiers although I disagree with and find inappropriate and disgraceful is well within their rights. All they are doing is advertising their closed mindedness and stupidity to the world when they do it. I think a group should be organized to picket and disrupt the funerals of their members. Lets see how that is tolerated.
Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2010, 11:43 AM

they only have like 10 members and they are all family. but i'm looking forward to the herd of protesters at fred phelps' funeral with signs like 'thank dog he's gone' or 'now i believe in hell since fred is dead.' i hope on that day that the rest of the family feels the pain that they have caused so many to feel.
14-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Westboro Baptist Church is just the most outspoken of the crazies. As a self-proclaimed "recovering Southern Baptist", I have seen what is taught in these churches and as much as I abhor the members of Westboro and in particular Fred Phelps, the sad fact is that this will not stop when he is dead. (as much as I wish it would) There are plenty of crazy people running around with just as offensive signs, in almost as offensive places but they are not media whores so the nation can't see them.
I live in AZ, (to my shame these days) and there is a church that pickets outside of an abortion clinic on a very busy street with big pictures of 3rd trimester aborted fetuses, complete in gruesome detail for everyone to see. Try explaining why there is a dead baby on the sign to a 5 year old girl you are babysitting. (I told her they were mean people who don't like babies and to never talk to them.) Smile
18-08-2010, 08:59 PM

I think according to the Phelps family, heaven must have a very small population because everyone else is going to hell, except them of course Tongue.

SDCC was ready for them with counter-protestors picketing across from them.

Nate Phelps emancipated himself from the family years ago and eventually came out as atheist, his website gives a very heartfelt testimonial about how insane Fred Phelps really is and how fascist his way of running the family is.

They strike as more Calvanist than Baptist from the looks of it.
18-08-2010, 10:33 PM
I have despised WBC since four years ago, when a little third grade girl I was tutoring for a class was burned alive in an apartment fire and they called it justice.

I believe free speech is a wonderful thing, but I don't stand for hate speech. Criticism is by all means fine, but you can call someone an idiot in a tactful manner. Even as the target of such destructive beliefs as "God hates fags!" I believe it's their right to believe in such a terrible thing, and I will not stand for someone shutting that viewpoint up. But I would certainly support a motion that lowered their campaign to a healthy level of offense. Harassing grieving families is something that I cannot support in the name of Free Speech or anything of the like.

Still, I believe that they're a group that runs on attention, and the less attention they receive then HOPEFULLY the sooner they'll die out.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2010, 11:21 AM

WBC came to my attention in 2004/2005 when the tsunami hit in Asia. A lot of swedes died in Thailand and the WBC thought this was a great thing. They have a "God hates sweden" thing on their home page, along side "God hates america" and "God hates Canada" (last time i looked).

I cant help to feel a bit proud though(as a swede). If your hated by the WBC, chances are your doing something right.