London has a new Mayor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2016, 12:18 PM
RE: London has a new Mayor
(07-05-2016 01:34 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  His name is Khan, he is muslim, pro EU, pro LGTB rights.

Think i am gonna watch more BBC now and grab me some popcorn Wink

FUCK THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!

Or, the bigots can simply SHUT THE FUCK UP?

Don't get me wrong, Islam still is in major need of reform and the Quran certainly, like all holy books, is used as a weapon. But blanket assumptions of guilt are fucking stupid.

Humans need to learn to attack bad ideas and still treat individuals as individuals at the same time.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
07-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Popcorn

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2016, 12:31 PM
(07-05-2016 12:18 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 01:34 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  His name is Khan, he is muslim, pro EU, pro LGTB rights.

Think i am gonna watch more BBC now and grab me some popcorn Wink

FUCK THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!

Don't get me wrong, Islam still is in major need of reform and the Quran certainly, like all holy books, is used as a weapon. But blanket assumptions of guilt are fucking stupid.

Humans need to learn to attack bad ideas and still treat individuals as individuals at the same time.
Don't get too stressed fella, I think most would agree with you, but pretending to be all politically correct isn't gonna work for me personally and others I suspect. I need to meet my prejudices head on and learn from my mistakes and acknowledge my short comings and try to correct them.
07-05-2016, 12:33 PM
(07-05-2016 11:29 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 09:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  ... and post hoc ergo propter hoc is a fallacy.

Nope, not a fallacy of any sort. It's a statement of fact; read it as you please. Or are you disputing my figures?

Indeed it is a fallacy, and you're deploying it.

Your point is clear as day, coyness aside. And it's based on fallacious thinking.

Since it doesn't seem clear to you, I'll state plainly that I'm not disputing your figures one way or the other. I don't know and they're irrelevant to my point. That's probably why I didn't address them at all, y'know.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
07-05-2016, 01:57 PM
(07-05-2016 12:31 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 12:18 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  FUCK THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!

Don't get too stressed fella, I think most would agree with you, but pretending to be all politically correct isn't gonna work for me personally and others I suspect. I need to meet my prejudices head on and learn from my mistakes and acknowledge my short comings and try to correct them.

Not stressed at all. I don't care that he is Muslim. What our bigots don't understand is he is ALSO a target by his right wing Muslims that don't like him as much as our right wing Christians.

No hold on now, don't lump me in with bigots. I think YOU also need to learn to separate human rights, from the right to criticize, ridicule and even blaspheme religious claims.

I am a social liberal, but no, I will not coddle the insecurities of even liberal theists. I am with Sam Harris and Bill Maher in saying or fellow left's good intent has the bad side effect of shutting down conversation.

Do not ask me to coddle the insecurities of sexists, homophobes or those who pick up ANY holy book and use it to justify violence. Christianity and Jews have their nuts and baggage too, and they too get their morality from the same books as the empathetic left. The only difference in ANY religion as to who values pluralism and those who value religious pecking orders, is the interpretations of the same books those sides disagree on. But they are still the same books.

I think you need to understand, and not enough humans do, that our species morality isn't in old books, but has always been in our species.

So no, I am not being politically correct. I will go after any bad claim, even after other atheists when need be.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2016, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2016 04:15 PM by adey67.)
(07-05-2016 01:57 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 12:31 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Don't get too stressed fella, I think most would agree with you, but pretending to be all politically correct isn't gonna work for me personally and others I suspect. I need to meet my prejudices head on and learn from my mistakes and acknowledge my short comings and try to correct them.

Not stressed at all. I don't care that he is Muslim. What our bigots don't understand is he is ALSO a target by his right wing Muslims that don't like him as much as our right wing Christians.

No hold on now, don't lump me in with bigots. I think YOU also need to learn to separate human rights, from the right to criticize, ridicule and even blaspheme religious claims.

I am a social liberal, but no, I will not coddle the insecurities of even liberal theists. I am with Sam Harris and Bill Maher in saying or fellow left's good intent has the bad side effect of shutting down conversation.

Do not ask me to coddle the insecurities of sexists, homophobes or those who pick up ANY holy book and use it to justify violence. Christianity and Jews have their nuts and baggage too, and they too get their morality from the same books as the empathetic left. The only difference in ANY religion as to who values pluralism and those who value religious pecking orders, is the interpretations of the same books those sides disagree on. But they are still the same books.

I think you need to understand, and not enough humans do, that our species morality isn't in old books, but has always been in our species.

So no, I am not being politically correct. I will go after any bad claim, even after other atheists when need be.

I agree with you that he's in danger from radical factions.
07-05-2016, 04:36 PM
How will this affect a traditional English breakfast in London? Not to mention the pub scene.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
07-05-2016, 05:45 PM
(07-05-2016 01:57 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 12:31 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Don't get too stressed fella, I think most would agree with you, but pretending to be all politically correct isn't gonna work for me personally and others I suspect. I need to meet my prejudices head on and learn from my mistakes and acknowledge my short comings and try to correct them.

Btw, I am uber aware that morality doesn't come from old books I argue that point very often and don't believe I mentioned it at all in any of my posts, so not sure where you got that from.
10-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Good news for the new Muslim Lord Mayor of London. Donald Trump plans to make an exception for him if he wishes to enter the US ... should he become president.

http://www.thejournal.ie/trump-sadiq-kha...1-May2016/

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
10-05-2016, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 10:14 AM by adey67.)
(10-05-2016 08:35 AM)Marozz Wrote:  Good news for the new Muslim Lord Mayor of London. Donald Trump plans to make an exception for him if he wishes to enter the US ... should he become president.

http://www.thejournal.ie/trump-sadiq-kha...1-May2016/

How magnanimous of him. I cannot for the life of me understand how this c#*t has got so far, its worrisome that a sizeable section of the American electorate share the views of a racist narcissistic individual like him, my views on the new London mayor are more based on the risk to Mr Khan himself and the potential for civil unrest in the wake of his appointment thankfully on reflection its clear I overestimated this as a factor so I wish him well.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post