London parliament under lockdown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2017, 01:36 PM
RE: London parliament under lockdown
(23-03-2017 08:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  She was a women remember, how many women saw active duty during WW2? Nurses.. Soviet snipers.. those crazy soviet women who were given shitty WW1 planes and did crazy night time dive bombing runs on German lines (I believe they had the nickname Night "Witches") that's all that's coming to mind and remember Soviet =/= Britain, very different cultures. Women during WW2 for the most part "served" on the home front doing factory work or the like.

The Resistance.
Women in the Resistance often out numbered men two to one, in some areas, more.
(23-03-2017 08:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ----
The Monarchy serve a purpose.
---

Weirdly, I also think they serve a purpose.
Here in the US, when a citizen wants to get all patriotic, we pull out the flag. We have no living being in whom we can instill our nationalistic feelings of loyalty and respect. We have an object - a thing.

A static thing that rarely changes with the times. At least a monarch will die off. And when the young ones come up, they reflect their times and the country can move on.

A flag can not state, "Oops, fucked up that one - sorry, we'll try to do better." A flag can't tell us to our national faces that we may need to buck up or tell us not to panic or address our sorrows as a fellow human being.

Even if only as a figurehead with little or no power, a monarch does serve a purpose. Not saying I would want one. Just that I think I'd rather show due respect for a human being rather than a piece of cloth. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-03-2017, 02:34 PM
RE: London parliament under lockdown
(24-03-2017 01:36 PM)kim Wrote:  Even if only as a figurehead with little or no power, a monarch does serve a purpose. Not saying I would want one. Just that I think I'd rather show due respect for a human being rather than a piece of cloth. Dodgy

Though respect should be earned. By the individual as well as the flag. It makes me uneasy if any person or item gets too much respect just for what they're supposed to symbolize rather than what they stand for. It's too far to the right or wrong, my .... insert platitude of your liking there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post