London tower block blaze

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2017, 06:02 AM
RE: London tower block blaze
I understand the anger.

But..

The economic reality -

Any idea what it would cost to upgrade an old building to modern fire codes????

It would cost so much to do such an upgrade, that were it to be done - the owner of the building would have to substantially increase the chance cost of rent to all the tenants to the point that none could afford to live there.

That's why modern up to code buildings have higher rent.

And before you go off accusing me of being an uncaring, greedy rich prick, let me remind you that I live in 150 year old firetrap that doesn't even have central heat. Unless you count the wood burning stove in the middle of the room.

I understand the dangers involved - and I've made the choice to take my chances with the danger.

For the same reason that the people chose to live in the building that burned down.

The rent is cheap.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2017, 06:31 AM
(15-06-2017 05:15 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  This is typical of what is going on in England. Lived there for 15 years. The place is burdened with over-regulation and people going around with clip boards, ticking boxes on forms. But, when something like this happens, you find out later that there were no sprinklers, no fire alarms, no fire extinguishers, a gas leak from contractors working negligently, no fire doors, no safe escape route, flammable materials being used knowingly, to save costs.

Then you find out that, 1, the authorities knew about it, 2, they did nothing, and 3, they covered up their lack of action. It's a typically English screw up.

I can't imagine the horror these people went through. Will it change anything? Probably not. All these low income high rises are death traps.

As much as I hate to admit it this is pretty accurate I'm afraid.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
15-06-2017, 06:44 AM
(15-06-2017 06:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I understand the anger.

But..

The economic reality -

It would cost so much to do such an upgrade, that were it to be done - the owner of the building would have to substantially increase the chance cost of rent to all the tenants to the point that none could afford to live there.

And before you go off accusing me of being an uncaring, greedy rich prick, let me remind you that I live in 150 year old firetrap that doesn't even have central heat. Unless you count the wood burning stove in the middle of the room.

I understand the dangers involved - and I've made the choice to take my chances with the danger.

For the same reason that the people chose to live in the building that burned down.

The rent is cheap.

Yet, there needs to be a minimum standard. Because we already figured some things out awhile back, like drinking lead wasn't worth the cost of cheaper water.

Funny, how quickly we forget such lessons.

See Also: Vaccinations.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-06-2017, 07:16 AM

But..

The economic reality -

The rent is cheap.

I don't think you're an uncaring greedy rich prick but I do think on this occasion you're wrong, for a lot of the tenants the choice is live in cheap tower blocks or get busy being homeless. While technically you could describe this as a choice its what we here call Hobson's choice, ie a non choice disguised as a choice.
We need to tread cautiously lest we find ourselves in the territory of victim blaming, I know that's not what you're doing but its possible some folks might see it that way.
15-06-2017, 07:17 AM
(15-06-2017 06:44 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

But..

The economic reality -

The rent is cheap.

Yet, there needs to be a minimum standard. Because we already figured some things out awhile back, like drinking lead wasn't worth the cost of cheaper water.

And who is going to pay for it????

Ahhhhh....

The greedy rich...

Of course.

So when are you going to pay for my central heat, and a water treatment plant for my well????

I will be expecting your check shortly...

Thumbsup

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-06-2017, 07:31 AM
(15-06-2017 07:17 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 06:44 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yet, there needs to be a minimum standard. Because we already figured some things out awhile back, like drinking lead wasn't worth the cost of cheaper water.

And who is going to pay for it????

Ahhhhh....

The greedy rich...

Of course.

So when are you going to pay for my central heat, and a water treatment plant for my well????

I will be expecting your check shortly...

Thumbsup

Sure, if I was one of the 1%.

But that's not me, and you know it.

Now, unless you want to defend fucking everyone else to make yourself inordinately wealthy, I trust we're done here? Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Having worked in the fire industry for the last 3+ years and knowing well the UK fire business, I can only say I'm unfortunately not surprised something like this happened.No

The horror those poor people have gone trough is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Sad

I wish the survivors and the relatives of the victims lots of strength.
[+] 2 users Like DunkleSeele's post
15-06-2017, 08:43 AM
(15-06-2017 08:39 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  Having worked in the fire industry for the last 3+ years and knowing well the UK fire business, I can only say I'm unfortunately not surprised something like this happened.No

The horror those poor people have gone trough is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Sad

I'm hoping that all the victims died of smoke inhalation the other possibility grips me with dread and turns my stomach and bowels to water. Sad
15-06-2017, 08:49 AM
(15-06-2017 08:43 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 08:39 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  Having worked in the fire industry for the last 3+ years and knowing well the UK fire business, I can only say I'm unfortunately not surprised something like this happened.No

I'm hoping that all the victims died of smoke inhalation the other possibility grips me with dread and turns my stomach and bowels to water. Sad
I've read somewhere that an eyewitness said she saw a burning kid launching himself from the 20th floor or something... absolutely terrible!Sad
15-06-2017, 08:54 AM
(15-06-2017 08:49 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 08:43 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm hoping that all the victims died of smoke inhalation the other possibility grips me with dread and turns my stomach and bowels to water. Sad
I've read somewhere that an eyewitness said she saw a burning kid launching himself from the 20th floor or something... absolutely terrible!Sad

Fuck, shades of 9/11 no wonder firefighters were so upset, when they find the assholes responsible for this fuck-up they should put the bastards behind bars for at least 30 years