London tower block blaze

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2017, 11:35 AM
RE: London tower block blaze
BBC has done a great job reporting this.
This was a disaster of epic proportions - So far, there are 17 fatalities with that count predicted to rise.
That said, the Fire Brigade did an excellent job - with their help, hundreds of families were brought to safety under unimaginable circumstances.

This page has extensive information and an excellent summary with footage, photos, and maps providing location views.

Calls for food, clothing and toiletries are being organized by celebrities like Adele, Jeremy Clarkson, Jamie Oliver & others. Clarkson urged the people of Kensington to give clothes or anything they can to help those who have been left homeless, while Oliver offered food and shelter at his Westfield restaurant.

And of course, the politicians have now arrived and toured the area. No doubt they are still trying to figure how to work it into their next speeches.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-06-2017, 11:37 AM
(15-06-2017 11:35 AM)kim Wrote:  BBC has done a great job reporting this.
This was a disaster of epic proportions - So far, there are 17 fatalities with that count predicted to rise.
That said, the Fire Brigade did an excellent job - with their help, hundreds of families were brought to safety under unimaginable circumstances.

This page has extensive information and an excellent summary with footage, photos, and maps providing location views.

Calls for food, clothing and toiletries are being organized by celebrities like Adele, Jeremy Clarkson, Jamie Oliver & others. Clarkson urged the people of Kensington to give clothes or anything they can to help those who have been left homeless, while Oliver offered food and shelter at his Westfield restaurant.

And of course, the politicians have now arrived and toured the area. No doubt they are still trying to figure how to work it into their next speeches.
Yup, but only in order to save their disgusting asshole skins, I'll only be happy once the persons responsible serve serious jail time.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
15-06-2017, 11:41 AM
(14-06-2017 04:50 AM)adey67 Wrote:  A dreadful fire in a 24 storey tower block 6 confirmed dead, hundreds missing or displaced, but being as the tower is still standing what's the betting the 9/11 conspirimorons will co opt this tragedy for their own ends ? I can see them now, tinfoil hats glinting in the sun clutching their cardboard models metal washers and string, expounding that this is proof the twin towers were a controlled demolition. I hate those guys.

Just like the San Francisco fire, while it might correct to blame the owners, that still does not address the cost of living, which drives up costs and combine that with austerity you set society up for a ticking time bomb.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2017, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2017 11:48 AM by adey67.)
(15-06-2017 11:41 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 04:50 AM)adey67 Wrote:  A dreadful fire in a 24 storey tower block 6 confirmed dead, hundreds missing or displaced, but being as the tower is still standing what's the betting the 9/11 conspirimorons will co opt this tragedy for their own ends ? I can see them now, tinfoil hats glinting in the sun clutching their cardboard models metal washers and string, expounding that this is proof the twin towers were a controlled demolition. I hate those guys.

Just like the San Francisco fire, while it might correct to blame the owners, that still does not address the cost of living, which drives up costs and combine that with austerity you set society up for a ticking time bomb.

Fair, absolutely a fair assessment Imo. But there do need to be serious penalties for those who should have known better and who draw huge salaries to off set the burden of responsibility they face.
15-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Not to mention where are the regulatory bodies in all this?
Here in NZ we are prone to earthquakes. Following our large one in Christchurch that killed 180 people when a large building collapsed the government got to work.
They charged and convicted those responsible for building the building when they found it wasn't built to proper building codes (I believe the architect wasn't even an architect?).
They assessed every single multi-story building in the country. Rated them all on a percentage scale and issued a law that all buildings must be at the 70% mark (or somewhere around there) by the year 20-something. The landlords are financially responsible for that (government in the case of government buildings).
A lot of buildings have been demolished that were not up to standard and too expensive to strengthen and others are undergoing or had earthquake strengthening work.

Our government has valued human life over company profits. If our country can do it to sooooo many buildings all over the country, I don't see why England (who are wealthier than us) can't have and ENFORCE basic fire safety. If buildings are not up to the standard they need to be closed down. It's that simple. It's better to be homeless than dead.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
16-06-2017, 05:16 AM
The death toll is likely to be closer to 100 or 150. There aren't enough survivors to report their missing families.

If there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world.

Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.

| (• ◡•)|  (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
[+] 2 users Like Callinectes's post
16-06-2017, 06:14 AM
(16-06-2017 05:16 AM)Callinectes Wrote:  The death toll is likely to be closer to 100 or 150. There aren't enough survivors to report their missing families.

Nothing you'd expect in the first world with all it's safety regulations. But it was public housing and the repeated warnings over lacking fire precautions probably fell on deaf ears for that very reason.

I hope the ones looking the other way will pay at court.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
16-06-2017, 06:31 AM
(15-06-2017 09:19 AM)kim Wrote:  This particular building went through renovation just over a year ago. Why didn't this renovation include updating of fire & emergency precautions? Someone will need to answer for that shit and those answers will be buried in countless debates and hearings.

Call me cynical but, caring about the poor has never been high on anyone's list of "things to do today". Shy

They put cladding on the outside of the building to make it less of an eyesore for the rich folk on the other side of Kensington. It seems this cladding may have been the reason the fire spread so quickly. Apparently the cladding used is banned in the US.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
17-06-2017, 04:06 AM
What people need to understand is that for the past 7 years the UK has been going through an austerity program. Every year local authorities have had their budgets reduced by tens of millions of pounds, resultin in major changes in support for local communities and a change in the mentality towards budgeting.

The panels on the outside of Grenfel tower that were fitted after its refurbishment have also been blamed for other blazes.

The panels fitted cost £22 each. To have fire retardent panels fitted would have cost £24 a panel.

Those people perished for a £5,000 saving, plus whatever other corners have been cut, in one of the richest areas on the planet.

The tower had 23 floors, fire fighters could only reach the 11th. The fatalities will be in their hundreds.

Fuck the Tories.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 5 users Like bemore's post
17-06-2017, 04:54 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2017 05:00 AM by earmuffs.)
(17-06-2017 04:06 AM)bemore Wrote:  What people need to understand is that for the past 7 years the UK has been going through an austerity program. Every year local authorities have had their budgets reduced by tens of millions of pounds, resultin in major changes in support for local communities and a change in the mentality towards budgeting.

The panels on the outside of Grenfel tower that were fitted after its refurbishment have also been blamed for other blazes.

The panels fitted cost £22 each. To have fire retardent panels fitted would have cost £24 a panel.

Those people perished for a £5,000 saving, plus whatever other corners have been cut, in one of the richest areas on the planet.

The tower had 23 floors, fire fighters could only reach the 11th. The fatalities will be in their hundreds.

Fuck the Tories.

But it's not even a government expense. You just need to pay some inspector to tell the landlord they gotta sort their shit or the buildings getting shut down.
Yea, those people will be without a home (but again, better homeless than dead) but they're also not paying rent. I'd wager that the company losing profits in the form of hundreds of people no longer paying rent is incentive enough for a landlord company to extremely quickly sort their fucking shit out.
And if it's deemed too expensive to bring the building up to par and it needs to be demolished than so be it. It's better that unsafe buildings are demolished and replaced with safer ones. Yes it'll suck for the occupants but at least they'd be alive.

Tiles aside, which should be illegal by the sounds of it, what about lack of fire exits? sprinklers? basic fire extinguishers? fire evacuation plans? that sort of thing.
These people could work 1,000ft beneath the earth in a coal mine and they'd be safer down there than in their own homes.

This whole thing genuinely pisses me off. It's not a terrorist act which can't really be all that prevented. It's not even a plane crash that was caused by a mechanics error to notice something. This is a case of simple greed by a slumlord company that neglected even basic fire safety practices despite numerous warnings and concerns. It was 110% preventable and the only reason why it happened was that people wanted to save money. Not even like making a profit, no a profit wasn't good enough for them, they had to save every last single penny at the expense of all these peoples lives.

[Image: oscar.png]