London tower block blaze

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2017, 05:00 AM
RE: London tower block blaze
(17-06-2017 04:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  But it's not even a government expense. You just need to pay some inspector to tell the landlord they gotta sort their shit or the buildings getting shut down.

Didn't you get the part of this having been social housing? A communal building. So the city of London was responsible for health and safety

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2017, 09:37 AM
(15-06-2017 06:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I understand the anger.

But..

The economic reality -

Any idea what it would cost to upgrade an old building to modern fire codes????

It would cost so much to do such an upgrade, that were it to be done - the owner of the building would have to substantially increase the chance cost of rent to all the tenants to the point that none could afford to live there.

That's why modern up to code buildings have higher rent.

It's not even necessarily about the cost, at some point every building reaches the end of it's "life" and upgrading or renovating is just putting lipstick on a pig. I think I read that the building in London was built in 1974. The building I'm living in is almost as old. We have great landlords and they are always renovating and replacing something every year, but the superintendent told me that the plumbing & electrical systems etc... are now so old that some repairs will be practically impossible in less then 10 years, and the building will have to be torn down and rebuilt.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
17-06-2017, 08:00 PM
(17-06-2017 05:00 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(17-06-2017 04:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  But it's not even a government expense. You just need to pay some inspector to tell the landlord they gotta sort their shit or the buildings getting shut down.

Didn't you get the part of this having been social housing? A communal building. So the city of London was responsible for health and safety

Wait wait wait wait... this was social housing? (we call it state housing here but the same thing I guess?) That just makes it worse. So the government is sending people here without even bothering to see if the building is fit for living??
You'd think they'd heavily regulate the buildings they're putting people into.

A lot of compensation better be paid out to a lot of people.

[Image: oscar.png]
18-06-2017, 08:13 AM
The Reynobond PE (aluminium/polyurethane) cladding used on the Grenfell tower was £2 ($2.55) per square metre cheaper than Reynobond FR panels—which are fire resistant.

The maker of the panels used to clad the tower block had advised customers against using its PE tiling in high rise buildings.

Diagrams in a brochure dated 2016, for Reynobond tiles show how PE core tiles are suitable only for buildings of up to 10 metres in height; nominally 3 floors. When the building is higher than that, it has to be clad with a fire retardant material.

The brochure was issued by French-based Arconic Architectural Products, which is responsible for the marketing in Europe of systems produced by US company Arconic, which owns Reynobond.

Other diagrams in the Reynobond brochure show that panels with a fire retardant core—the FR model, according to Arconic's website—can be used for buildings of up to 30 metres height; nominally 9 floors. Above that height, panels with a non-combustible core—the A2 model—should be used. Grenfell Tower is over 60 metres tall.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
18-06-2017, 08:24 AM
[Image: DCb_99-XgAESUDc.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
18-06-2017, 08:33 AM
I get how people get angry at the government and at local community officials. It's one of the most glaring instances of not giving a shit over what happens to the poor and lobbyless people.

Personally I hope someone will pay for what has happened. With a rather lengthy stretch at Her majesty's prisons. But I suspect it will only be a lowly scapegoat and not the ones actually being responsible for this happening.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]