Loneliness

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
07-05-2010, 06:50 PM

Loneliness
Intellectually, I know I am not alone. I'm aware that freethinkers are not as much of a minority as the religious would like to believe, or that we sometimes allow ourselves to believe.

But I am still gripped with a terrible sense of loneliness and fear of the same when I consider letting my very religious family know where I stand intellectually. It's hard to sever that line of support, as I know without a doubt they would react strongly if not violently. They will not 'surprise me' or any such thing, I have seen their reactions to even minor deviations from doctrine or faith. Yet it is equally hard to keep my thoughts to myself, to simply let them go on thinking I attend church and what have you.

How have others found the strength to confront this problem?
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
RE: Loneliness
First of all, welcome to TTAF, errant. Glad to have you here.

Secondly, I'm sorry that I can't offer more advice on this - my family has always been very supportive, even though the majority of them don't share my atheistic viewpoint. But we can be here fore you to talk to, at least.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2010, 08:50 PM

Stand strong and seek out those things that interest you, and that have interest in you.
08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Stay true to yourself. You are an individual with your own thoughts, your own mind. No one should ever tell you what to think or what to do, no matter how much love they profess that that control comes with.
10-05-2010, 11:39 PM

Fear is their biggest weapon, you must not show a shred of fear.

If you claim you're an atheist and you dad starts yelling at you possibly abusing you and you react fearfully, it will only encourage him. "Please stop" "I'm sorry" "be reasonable" etc.

The correct thing to do is treat the situation how it should be treated. They have no right to abuse you for your beliefs, if he gets all mad act surprised, as if you're confused he would act so irrationally.

example, if he says "I will not have an atheist living under my house!" Just react to it by saying in a very light toned way "Excuse me?" or "Hah, why are you acting this way?"

People's opinions can change in the blink of an eye, act accordingly and there is a very real chance your parents themselves could be atheists one day.