Long time agnostic, newly atheist & happy!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2016, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 02:58 AM by EmberImpressions.)
Wink Long time agnostic, newly atheist & happy!
Raised religious (as many, if not most are). Searched philosophy initially. Was happy for a long time with Aristotle's Unmoved Mover or as some would refer to it Prime Mover.... which allowed for some thing or entity to have put all things in motion. One of my most treasured readings for a long time was from Alex Grey entitled The Vast Expanse. I didn't mind his reference to Creator too much - lol. Actually self described as Spiritual but not Religious for along time and checking the Agnostic 'box' rather than Atheist. I imagine there might be some discussion on here at times about Agnosticism (or a debate of Agnostic Atheist vs. Gnostic Atheist and if any such clarification matters). I didn't think too much of it for a long time until very recently.

It was on a dating site and I mistook an Agnostic as someone who should know all the science stuff I know and love, only to be disappointed that he only described himself as Agnostic because he didn't like religion, but still believes in a deity. I advised him that he was a Theist and he insisted we could still date because it didn't matter to him that I'm Atheist. In short I told him that it matters to me and though he may be free of Catholicism, he wasn't free of religion. I insisted that I want someone who is at least the same place I am in their life and that he isn't there yet and I have no interest in actively converting him. to which I added the obligatory "lol" But I really mean that --- the thought is exhausting to me, I want someone to 'science me', I don't want to have to 'science' someone else.

So here I am checking the Atheist box and looking forward to learn from those who have been here before me. I'm not interested in being an activist (that's a thing, right? ) I just want to be somewhere where things make sense and where I can learn more awesome things about our physical universe through science and technology.

I have viewed and reviewed the basics (so to speak) of Cosmology, Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Fluctuation, Spacetime, Gravity, Gravitational Waves, Cosmic Background Radiation, concepts of Lawrence Krauss Universe from Nothing, Nova's Fabric of the Universe series and concepts from Brian Greene's Elegant Universe and introduction to String Theory... of course Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, Neil Degrasse Tyson's Cosmos series, various YouTube lectures... including philosophical and logical lectures and debates.

I welcome referrals to articles, videos, and definitely hearing what your journey has been and any advice you have for me in my continued journey to understanding (and peace, and freedom!) Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EmberImpressions's post
02-03-2016, 02:56 AM
RE: Long time agnostic, newly atheist & happy!
Welcome to TTA.

You might well get scienced here if you wait awhile.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-03-2016, 03:05 AM
Sounds good to me. I can't be the only potential science groupie, right? Big Grin
02-03-2016, 03:32 AM
(02-03-2016 03:05 AM)EmberImpressions Wrote:  Sounds good to me. I can't be the only potential science groupie, right? Big Grin

Indeed.

You'll find a bunch of weird geeky types amongst these threads.

Don't tell 'em I sent you.

Unsure

02-03-2016, 04:13 AM
Welcome.
02-03-2016, 05:34 AM
Hello.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-03-2016, 08:07 AM
(02-03-2016 02:42 AM)EmberImpressions Wrote:  Raised religious (as many, if not most are). Searched philosophy initially. Was happy for a long time with Aristotle's Unmoved Mover or as some would refer to it Prime Mover.... which allowed for some thing or entity to have put all things in motion. One of my most treasured readings for a long time was from Alex Grey entitled The Vast Expanse. I didn't mind his reference to Creator too much - lol. Actually self described as Spiritual but not Religious for along time and checking the Agnostic 'box' rather than Atheist. I imagine there might be some discussion on here at times about Agnosticism (or a debate of Agnostic Atheist vs. Gnostic Atheist and if any such clarification matters). I didn't think too much of it for a long time until very recently.

It was on a dating site and I mistook an Agnostic as someone who should know all the science stuff I know and love, only to be disappointed that he only described himself as Agnostic because he didn't like religion, but still believes in a deity. I advised him that he was a Theist and he insisted we could still date because it didn't matter to him that I'm Atheist. In short I told him that it matters to me and though he may be free of Catholicism, he wasn't free of religion. I insisted that I want someone who is at least the same place I am in their life and that he isn't there yet and I have no interest in actively converting him. to which I added the obligatory "lol" But I really mean that --- the thought is exhausting to me, I want someone to 'science me', I don't want to have to 'science' someone else.

So here I am checking the Atheist box and looking forward to learn from those who have been here before me. I'm not interested in being an activist (that's a thing, right? ) I just want to be somewhere where things make sense and where I can learn more awesome things about our physical universe through science and technology.

I have viewed and reviewed the basics (so to speak) of Cosmology, Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Fluctuation, Spacetime, Gravity, Gravitational Waves, Cosmic Background Radiation, concepts of Lawrence Krauss Universe from Nothing, Nova's Fabric of the Universe series and concepts from Brian Greene's Elegant Universe and introduction to String Theory... of course Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, Neil Degrasse Tyson's Cosmos series, various YouTube lectures... including philosophical and logical lectures and debates.

I welcome referrals to articles, videos, and definitely hearing what your journey has been and any advice you have for me in my continued journey to understanding (and peace, and freedom!) Smile

Welcome! I recommend giving Brain Cox's lecture on Time Travel a watch if you have not already, very cool stuff.

(02-03-2016 03:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 03:05 AM)EmberImpressions Wrote:  Sounds good to me. I can't be the only potential science groupie, right? Big Grin

Indeed.

You'll find a bunch of weird geeky types amongst these threads.

Don't tell 'em I sent you.

Unsure

Hey, I heard that Dodgy

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
02-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the welcome. I'll be hanging out quite a bit on and off checking out discussions and getting to know you guys more.

I'll check out the Brian Cox material. I can't lay off movies that involve time travel! Science fiction just about my favorite genre of movie. Surely there's an area or areas on this forum dedicated to this interest?
[+] 1 user Likes EmberImpressions's post
02-03-2016, 09:05 AM
(02-03-2016 08:07 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Welcome! I recommend giving Brain Cox's lecture on Time Travel a watch if you have not already, very cool stuff.

I watched the video and I'm familar with this explanation/exploration of Time Travel. It is very cool stuff!

As far as traveling to the past is and being able to go back and forth I guess I gotta stick to my beloved science fiction complete with paradoxes and alternate realities and multiple universes. (I didn't get lost when Star Trek did it in the most recent theatrical releases but the X-Men series really took me for a theoretical ride!)Blink
[+] 1 user Likes EmberImpressions's post
02-03-2016, 09:08 AM
(02-03-2016 09:05 AM)EmberImpressions Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 08:07 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Welcome! I recommend giving Brain Cox's lecture on Time Travel a watch if you have not already, very cool stuff.

I watched the video and I'm familar with this explanation/exploration of Time Travel. It is very cool stuff!

As far as traveling to the past is and being able to go back and forth I guess I gotta stick to my beloved science fiction complete with paradoxes and alternate realities and multiple universes. (I didn't get lost when Star Trek did it in the most recent theatrical releases but the X-Men series really took me for a theoretical ride!)Blink

Yeah it's just the way he presents it and explains it. He is very good at that and I know! Sucks all the cool stuff is not real.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze