Long time listener, first time poster

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2012, 04:54 AM
Hi everyone! I'm in my 30s and have never been a staunch believer. My family went to church when I was young but I can't remember when we stopped. I remember my grandparents coming over after church for coffee all the time so we must have stopped regularly going by the time I was ten, but we still went on the holidays.

One of my earliest memories was one day in Sunday school when I was very young. The teacher had just finished telling us that God is love and he loves everyone and wanted us to write a sentence with God in it. Our house was always full of laughter and I wrote down the funniest thing I could think of, "God hates Jay." Jay was a friend of mine and I couldn't think of anything more ridiculous and funny considering what we had just been taught. The teacher didn't find it amusing in the least. I knew then that she at least didn't believe the line she was feeding us and there was more to the story. I remember telling my Mom on the way home that I never wanted to go back there, but I don't remember if I ever had to or not.

So I never thought about religion much, though I still believed in a God. The next time I really thought deeply about it was in junior high when an evangelical kid was telling me the "good news" about how I would go to hell if I didn't accept Jesus. I asked him about babies or people in other countries that have never heard of Jesus and he said something about limbo I think. I just remember thinking "If your God is such a dick, why would you want to worship him?"

The next time was when I went to a nominally Methodist private college. I had to take a religion class for my degree and decided on the "Jesus" class about the gospels that the Methodist pastor taught. It was actually very good and part of the learning was comparing and contrasting the gospels which was the first time I had even realized that there could be contradictions in the bible. Then in Philosophy 101 we spent some time on the arguments for and against the existence of God. The first A I ever received on a paper was for tearing apart Anselm's argument. I didn't understand how anyone couldn't see past the wordplay.

It's around that time that I sat down to read the whole bible to come to my own conclusions. To be honest I didn't make it through the whole thing, but I had studied the Gospels in class and I didn't want anything to do with a God that would do the things that I read in the Old Testament. There was not one single thing I had read up until I quit that had any moral or even literary value. Slaughtering neighboring tribes? Commanding a man to kill his son? Putting Job through heck to prove a point to Satan? Killing Egyptian children to prove a point to the Pharoh? A God that enjoys the smell of a burning animal sacrifice? Turning a woman to salt because she was curious about what was happening to the city she had lived in and probably had friends in? Killing almost all people and innocent animals on Earth in the flood? None of it made sense when compared to my own moral beliefs and most of it you will either not hear in church or the pastor will spend an hour trying to sugar coat it. Trying to swallow it without that sugar coating is a great way to become an atheist.

I think morality comes down to empathy, and how religious someone is can be correlated with how psychopathic they are. If the people that put crosses on water towers could think about how they would feel if there was the star and crescent or the Star of David, would they really want to put the cross there? If people could put themselves in the shoes of a woman that was impregnated by her rapist, would they want to outlaw it in all cases? If they could put themselves in the shoes of someone the government says can't get married to the person they love, would they want to ban gay marriage? If they could imagine their city council meetings being opened with prayer to Allah and shouts of "Allahu Akbar" would they still want sectarian prayer?

I came to the conclusion that the world needs more logic, more common sense, and more empathy largely because of religious fundamentalists. Thunderf00t, Seth, Dawkins, Hitchens, Aaronra, Concordance and others have all been more enjoyable, funny, educational and enlightening than any religious text I've ever seen. "No Gods, No Guilt"
by Stephen Uhl is also an interesting free audiobook I'd recommend.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like UnchosenOne's post
20-10-2012, 05:26 AM
RE: Long time listener, first time poster
(20-10-2012 04:54 AM)UnchosenOne Wrote:  Hi everyone! I'm in my 30s and have never been a staunch believer. My family went to church when I was young but I can't remember when we stopped. I remember my grandparents coming over after church for coffee all the time so we must have stopped regularly going by the time I was ten, but we still went on the holidays.

One of my earliest memories was one day in Sunday school when I was very young. The teacher had just finished telling us that God is love and he loves everyone and wanted us to write a sentence with God in it. Our house was always full of laughter and I wrote down the funniest thing I could think of, "God hates Jay." Jay was a friend of mine and I couldn't think of anything more ridiculous and funny considering what we had just been taught. The teacher didn't find it amusing in the least. I knew then that she at least didn't believe the line she was feeding us and there was more to the story. I remember telling my Mom on the way home that I never wanted to go back there, but I don't remember if I ever had to or not.

So I never thought about religion much, though I still believed in a God. The next time I really thought deeply about it was in junior high when an evangelical kid was telling me the "good news" about how I would go to hell if I didn't accept Jesus. I asked him about babies or people in other countries that have never heard of Jesus and he said something about limbo I think. I just remember thinking "If your God is such a dick, why would you want to worship him?"

The next time was when I went to a nominally Methodist private college. I had to take a religion class for my degree and decided on the "Jesus" class about the gospels that the Methodist pastor taught. It was actually very good and part of the learning was comparing and contrasting the gospels which was the first time I had even realized that there could be contradictions in the bible. Then in Philosophy 101 we spent some time on the arguments for and against the existence of God. The first A I ever received on a paper was for tearing apart Anselm's argument. I didn't understand how anyone couldn't see past the wordplay.

It's around that time that I sat down to read the whole bible to come to my own conclusions. To be honest I didn't make it through the whole thing, but I had studied the Gospels in class and I didn't want anything to do with a God that would do the things that I read in the Old Testament. There was not one single thing I had read up until I quit that had any moral or even literary value. Slaughtering neighboring tribes? Commanding a man to kill his son? Putting Job through heck to prove a point to Satan? Killing Egyptian children to prove a point to the Pharoh? A God that enjoys the smell of a burning animal sacrifice? Turning a woman to salt because she was curious about what was happening to the city she had lived in and probably had friends in? Killing almost all people and innocent animals on Earth in the flood? None of it made sense when compared to my own moral beliefs and most of it you will either not hear in church or the pastor will spend an hour trying to sugar coat it. Trying to swallow it without that sugar coating is a great way to become an atheist.

I think morality comes down to empathy, and how religious someone is can be correlated with how psychopathic they are. If the people that put crosses on water towers could think about how they would feel if there was the star and crescent or the Star of David, would they really want to put the cross there? If people could put themselves in the shoes of a woman that was impregnated by her rapist, would they want to outlaw it in all cases? If they could put themselves in the shoes of someone the government says can't get married to the person they love, would they want to ban gay marriage? If they could imagine their city council meetings being opened with prayer to Allah and shouts of "Allahu Akbar" would they still want sectarian prayer?

I came to the conclusion that the world needs more logic, more common sense, and more empathy largely because of religious fundamentalists. Thunderf00t, Seth, Dawkins, Hitchens, Aaronra, Concordance and others have all been more enjoyable, funny, educational and enlightening than any religious text I've ever seen. "No Gods, No Guilt"
by Stephen Uhl is also an interesting free audiobook I'd recommend.

Welcome. My sentiments exactly.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Welcome Smile
20-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay. Smile

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
20-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Come on in. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
20-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Hang onto that chair, it's gonna be a fun ride.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
20-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Be very careful. Much as matter and anti-matter, we have a "chosen one" also here. If you two meet, you may self-annihilate. Be very afraid. Tongue

Welcome BTW.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Welcome to TTA!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
20-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Welcome Unchosen, were you also the last to be picked for kickball like me?

(20-10-2012 09:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Be very careful. Much as matter and anti-matter, we have a "chosen one" also here. If you two meet, you may self-annihilate. Be very afraid.
(20-10-2012 11:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome to TTA!

Duck and cover bitches! Fire in the hole!

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post