Look What Book I Found In Kid's Section

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Look What Book I Found In Kid's Section
So I was at Barnes & Noble yesterday with my wife and son. My son and I went exploring while the wife studied. Then I stumbled on this very familiar family from my childhood in the kid's section:

[Image: bbblg.jpg]

Now, on the surface, it seems innocent enough. But I wondered, is this a kid's version of the bible? I mean, it seemed pretty thick. I thought to myself, "No way this has the OT in it. And if it does, no way is it verbatim." Oh how wrong I was. It had the OT in it without any editing whatsoever. I confirmed by flipping to Joshua:

[Image: imagectv.jpg]

Note the violent passages about killing women and children.

How do you guys feel about this? I mean, I don't think B&N would put a book about war and death in the kid's section if it's that graphic even if it does have happy parts. This, to me, is a prime example of the general religious public not being familiar with the very book they take as truth. I wonder how people would react if I made a sign quoting a violent passage from this book and put it up in the kid's section.

On a side note, I noticed that the Philosophy section (which was next to the bathrooms) contained Atheism related books on the bottom shelf. I'm not completely opposed to having these books under philosophy, but in my opinion, it's not intuitive. The first place to look for these books that comes to mind is the religion section. I know, I know... Atheism is not a religion. Just saying it makes sense to me to place it there. Maybe that would be a bad thing and perpetuate the misconception that it is a religion though. *shrugs*

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like NoahsFarce's post
30-04-2012, 10:14 AM
RE: Look What Book I Found In Kid's Section
So it's just the bible with a berenstain bears cover? I'm sure you could convince them of the subject matter. This makes absolutely no sense. Especially since the usual tactic with children is to make a "clean" child friendly version so they never even read the difficult passages.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
30-04-2012, 11:26 AM
(30-04-2012 10:14 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  So it's just the bible with a berenstain bears cover? I'm sure you could convince them of the subject matter. This makes absolutely no sense. Especially since the usual tactic with children is to make a "clean" child friendly version so they never even read the difficult passages.
My thoughts exactly. I've seen other children's bibles. This particular one hits close to home though because I grew up on these Berenstain books Tongue

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
30-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Gives me an idea:

"Bernstein Bears: God Delusion"

Now that's a book my son could sink his teeth into...

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 3 users Like lightninlives's post
30-04-2012, 01:18 PM
I was weary about introducing the b bears to my daughter for this very reason. I don't want her to be out without me and pick up this trash thinking its safe.

If she wants to read the bible when she's older I'll buy her one and read it with her. I don't need children's characters tricking her into religion.

Such sneaky fucking tactics.

On a side note if we are going to demand it removed from the children's section which I agree with, where do they put it? Fantasy?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
30-04-2012, 01:21 PM
You MIGHT be able to get a retail bookstore like Barnes and Noble to put it in the religion section instead of kids section, but I guarantee there are thousands of Christian Bookstores which have that prominently displayed in their kid's book section.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-04-2012, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 02:47 PM by cufflink.)
From the Amazon page for the book (emphasis added):

Quote:Perfect for school, church, and home, the
Berenstain Bears' Holy Bible, NIrV is a large-print Bible for early readers. It
uses the full text of the New International Reader's Version (NIrV) written at
a third-grade reading level.
With the addition of 18 full-color pages of the
popular Berenstain Bears illustrations with related biblical virtues, this is
the perfect chance for beginning readers to embark on their first exploration
of the Bible with friendly faces guiding the way
. Features include: Book introductions---provide
the main theme of the book and an outline of the contents Dictionary---key Bible
words for quick reference Eighteen full-color pages---featuring your favorite
characters from the Berenstain Bears with highlighted verses that focus on character
traits and virtues (such as respect, courage, and friendship) supported by
God's Word. Large print---12-point type for easy reading Presentation page---for
personalization and gift giving Reading plan---for 150 famous stories of the
Bible Complete New International Reader's Version (NIrV) text---written at a
third-grade reading level and specifically designed to help early readers
discover the Bible for themselves
, it's the perfect steppingstone to the NIV.

How thoughtful! The complete Bible, but in big print and at a third grade reading level! Now even little kids can read how Joshua destroyed those cities and slaughtered every living thing in them! And how 42 boys were torn up by bears because they mocked a bald man! And how disobedient sons should be stoned to death! And how fathers are allowed to sell their daughters into slavery! And how a man was ready to kill his innocent son because God told him to!

But of course "Bully" had to be censored to get a PG-13 rating. Too many naughty words. Some things just aren't fit for children.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
30-04-2012, 01:39 PM
The brick testament was removed from stores due to the accusations that this book is seeking to confirm. I'd say that this is probably worse than graphic lego depictions of biblical events which were in a book not even in the kids section. If one version of the bible can be censored why not the ones targeted towards children?
My one pro for this book is that most kids would find this much less appealing than the picture bibles and what-not. The material just won't be as engaging as the rehashed and simplified versions of popular biblical stories.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-05-2012, 09:20 AM

I think Christians can do whatever they want with the Holy Bible. At least I did my part in resucing the Gospels from it. In fact, I used to think the greatest threat to Christianity was atheists and atheism, but as I read the novel "The Shack" (which I will review on my website when I'm done) and when I see things like the B. Bears Holy Bible, I realize Christianity, for whatever reason is destroying itself. For whatever reason Christianity, itself, is turning their version of God into nothing more than a myth like Zeus or Hercules. I really believe that Christians are simply coming to disbelieve their own religion.
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 09:27 AM
(01-05-2012 09:20 AM)Egor Wrote:  . I really believe that Christians are simply coming to disbelieve their own religion.
THANK GOD!

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post