Look What Book I Found In Kid's Section

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2012, 09:49 AM
RE: Look What Book I Found In Kid's Section
(01-05-2012 09:20 AM)Egor Wrote:  I think Christians can do whatever they want with the Holy Bible. At least I did my part in resucing the Gospels from it. In fact, I used to think the greatest threat to Christianity was atheists and atheism, but as I read the novel "The Shack" (which I will review on my website when I'm done) and when I see things like the B. Bears Holy Bible, I realize Christianity, for whatever reason is destroying itself. For whatever reason Christianity, itself, is turning their version of God into nothing more than a myth like Zeus or Hercules. I really believe that Christians are simply coming to disbelieve their own religion.
It's not destroying itself, it's crumbling under the pressure of an age where massive amounts of history, science, and criticism have never been easier to find. Things like a Bernstein Bears Bible strike me as nothing more than acts of desperation.

By removing the Old Testament completely, filtering the New Testament, and even removing the need for proof for the existence of Jesus, you've reduced your God to a personal experience gained through experiencing a collection of gospels. You make no claims to any specific history, events, or special powers. You pretty much remove all the easy targets enjoyed by critics. Am I correct, or do I misunderstand your religion?

Regardless, while a "personal experience" cannot be debunked (and why would anyone bother), your idea of a God and Christ come from the very source material you claim to have "rescued" them from. If the source material is detrimental to the concept of Christ, what makes your synthesis an improvement?

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
01-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Most of us, as atheists, are looking at this as a Religious issue. I'd be willing to bet that religious zeal had little to do with the decision to make a Berenstein Bears Bible. Things like this are typically pure marketing. It's about opening up a new revenue stream for the publishing company and their worship of the Almighty Dollar.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
01-05-2012, 09:54 AM
(01-05-2012 09:20 AM)Egor Wrote:  I think Christians can do whatever they want with the Holy Bible. At least I did my part in resucing the Gospels from it. In fact, I used to think the greatest threat to Christianity was atheists and atheism, but as I read the novel "The Shack" (which I will review on my website when I'm done) and when I see things like the B. Bears Holy Bible, I realize Christianity, for whatever reason is destroying itself. For whatever reason Christianity, itself, is turning their version of God into nothing more than a myth like Zeus or Hercules. I really believe that Christians are simply coming to disbelieve their own religion.
Wow, Egor actually said something constructive without offending me in the least bit.

I don't like this Egor. Can you go back to being a troll?

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
01-05-2012, 12:27 PM

(01-05-2012 09:49 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  It's not destroying itself, it's crumbling under the pressure of an age where massive amounts of history, science, and criticism have never been easier to find. Things like a Bernstein Bears Bible strike me as nothing more than acts of desperation.

Agreed, but I would add that the Christian Church is also suffering a great lack of faith due to the highly publicized scandals of religious leaders. I think a lot of people are simply giving up on the Church.

Quote:By removing the Old Testament completely, filtering the New Testament, and even removing the need for proof for the existence of Jesus, you've reduced your God to a personal experience gained through experiencing a collection of gospels.

Correct. Though He’s not my God; He’s God, but He is experienced by people subjectively, and each person sees him slightly differently—just like consciousness is experienced subjectively and independently.

Quote:You make no claims to any specific history, events, or special powers. You pretty much remove all the easy targets enjoyed by critics. Am I correct, or do I misunderstand your religion?

I’m not sure if you do. I do claim that Jesus existed in history, and I think I can prove that. But the veracity of his miracles is simply irrelevant to us today because we weren’t there to see them. Therefore, we have to examine the symbolic meaning of his miracles. That symbolic meaning is more important to us. So who cares if they actually occurred? That is an impossible question to answer.

Quote:Regardless, while a "personal experience" cannot be debunked (and why would anyone bother), your idea of a God and Christ come from the very source material you claim to have "rescued" them from. If the source material is detrimental to the concept of Christ, what makes your synthesis an improvement?

The Gospels of the New Testament are all that matter. I synthesized them along with the Gospel of Thomas into one Gospel—which is the correct way they are to be presented to this generation. And my criticism is not with the Bible per se. It’s with the Christian treatment of it these days.

(01-05-2012 09:54 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Wow, Egor actually said something constructive without offending me in the least bit.

I don't like this Egor. Can you go back to being a troll?

Fuck off.

If you think I hate atheism, you ought to get me started on the mother of atheism--the Christian Chruch.
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 01:01 PM
(01-05-2012 12:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  Correct. Though He’s not my God; He’s God, but He is experienced by people subjectively, and each person sees him slightly differently—just like consciousness is experienced subjectively and independently.

(01-05-2012 12:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  The Gospels of the New Testament are all that matter. I synthesized them along with the Gospel of Thomas into one Gospel—which is the correct way they are to be presented to this generation. And my criticism is not with the Bible per se. It’s with the Christian treatment of it these days.

Thanks for clarifying. Your explanation is similar to how I view existence itself, "subjective" being the key word, so on some level I can relate to what you're saying. Where we differ is your belief of a guiding force acting on our existence.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
01-05-2012, 03:21 PM
(30-04-2012 01:18 PM)lucradis Wrote:  On a side note if we are going to demand it removed from the children's section which I agree with, where do they put it? Fantasy?
Paper Recycle Bin

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
01-05-2012, 04:48 PM

(01-05-2012 01:01 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Thanks for clarifying. Your explanation is similar to how I view existence itself, "subjective" being the key word, so on some level I can relate to what you're saying. Where we differ is your belief of a guiding force acting on our existence.

Do you think you will be conscious after you die?
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2012, 08:15 AM
(01-05-2012 04:48 PM)Egor Wrote:  Do you think you will be conscious after you die?

There's a heavy question. I've thought about that a lot. There are two ideas that I return to over and over:

1. I don't remember any sort of existence before I was born. Not existing after I've lived will be the same as not existing before I lived... unaware and not conscious. The energy in my body is returned to the universe/Earth/etc.

2. Some people tend to assume living, and an afterlife, as having similar qualities to how we live now. We're conscious, we have our senses, we see, talk, feel emotions, etc. But we only know life as we've experienced it. A tree is "alive," but a tree has no concept of smell, or touch, or thought, or verbal communication. Those things don't exist in a tree's world, but they're real in ours. A tree isn't aware of us, even when we're climbing it. That makes me wonder, are there things out there that we simply don't have senses for? That in this existence, we'll never see? Is there a type of existence where consciousness doesn't matter, or is trivial? Is there an existence where light has mass, where you can eat x-rays and be in two places at once, where the universe and scale of the galaxy are smaller, bigger, or don't matter at all?

My guess is #1, but I'd have no complaints if #2 ends up being right.

02-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Sometimes I feel like going into the local library and moving all the bibles and religious books into the fiction section.
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post