Looking At Christianity From The Outside

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2016, 04:56 PM
It's so interesting to be around Christianity as someone who is no longer religious.

-Seeing people pray
-Eating Jesus' flesh and blood, even if it is symbolic
-Talking about demons
-Hearing people say that they'll pray for me
-Not praying and noticing that my life is the same as it would be if I had prayed
-Hearing the love songs to Jesus
-People seeing secularism as pure evil, something Satan is trying to use to capture the youth
-People singing about a man's death
-People hanging a torture device on themselves and in their homes
-Some people are SO certain that specifically the god of the Bible exists.

There are probably more things I see and hear from Christians. It feels weird to look at Christianity from the outside. I haven't been an atheist for very long. When I see these things, I feel like I'm dreaming. I also ask myself "I used to do that?"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
15-04-2016, 06:04 PM
RE: Looking At Christianity From The Outside
My parents are Catholic and my mom used to do that sign of the cross thing on her face every once and awhile and for no real reason like what is this? Some kind of witchcraft? If you move your fingers around your face and shoulders in the sign of the cross Jesus will be like "Oh someone just did the magic signal, they must really love me!" I would think praying is enough but no you gotta do the gestures, and the kneeling, Jesus likes people on their damn knees, damnit!

She used to also tell me in the morning when I went to school "May God bless you today" or "May Jesus watch over you. " and I'm like "Great, I would've died horribly but now I won't because she said those words, now I'll make it home just fine." But whatever, if it made her feel better it's fine but you may as well say " May the flying spaghetti monster, Odin, and all the Care Bears watch over you." It would make the same amount of difference and you have even more imaginary people watching over you for even more imaginary safety, yay!

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post
15-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Consider

SSky made me think of something in a way I hadn't before. One of my closest friends in HS was from a large Italian/German Catholic family. Whenever we would leave their house my friend's mother would say, "God go with you." Now I wonder if she was trying to get God out of her house. Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
15-04-2016, 06:48 PM
I've always been on the outside, so it's always been weird to me. I noticed most people are either indoctrinated early on, or gravitate towards it due to a tragedy in their lives. It's a security blanket for when you think you have no other options.
15-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Quote:My parents are Catholic and my mom used to do that sign of the cross thing on her face every once and awhile and for no real reason like what is this?

Quote: A rabbi and a priest attend a boxing match between Hymie Goldstein and Irish Paddy O'Brien. They watch as the boxers come into the ring. The rabbi sees Irish Paddy cross himself.

So the rabbi turns to the priest and asks, "What does that mean?"

The priest says, "Not a damn thing if he can't fight."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
16-04-2016, 12:21 AM
Listening to christian, especially hardcore ones is like hearing bad fantasy movie script.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-04-2016, 07:21 PM
(15-04-2016 04:56 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Eating Jesus' flesh and blood, even if it is symbolic [...]

I think you'll find all the truly good micks wouldn't agree with you on it being merely "symbolic". They regard transubstantiation as the real thing. The wafers and the wine offered in the sacrifice of the sacrament of the Eucharist actually do become the body and blood of Jesus Christ. The manner in which this happens however is, according to the Catholic church, officially a "mystery".

—And ain't it all LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
16-04-2016, 07:43 PM
I was never a believer, nor was anybody in my family or environment. Then we got a war (Balkans), shit had hit the fan and suddenly everybody was praising the Lord for letting them live another day. I thought it was just a temporary crisis response, fine, but it got worse. The priest was preaching "devil has come, they are the devil, don't let it live" and people who were normal a year ago became lunatics. Bible was the law not to be questioned and nobody EVER read what it said. I did and I tried to talk about it but I was the guilty one, "confused by the enemy propaganda". It was a Twilight Zone, everyone around me had suddenly gone insane and I was the only normal one. I have never felt such cold and overpowering panic in my life. So it was not the war that scared me, it was what religion does to people that scared the shit out of me and I can't be quiet about it.
[+] 2 users Like UnicornBabyJesus's post
16-04-2016, 07:46 PM
My mom would do make crosses on her forehead, lips, and heart as she passed the Catholic church. I don't remember if it was just the one she grew up with or all of them. I'll have to ask.

But there are times if I sit in a long wooden bench I get the urge to genuflect.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
16-04-2016, 08:04 PM
(16-04-2016 07:46 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  My mom would do make crosses on her forehead, lips, and heart as she passed the Catholic church. I don't remember if it was just the one she grew up with or all of them. I'll have to ask.

But there are times if I sit in a long wooden bench I get the urge to genuflect.

"Crossing yourself" could have one of two reasons according to the catholic nuns who taught me.

You did it out of respect for Jesus when walking into a church, when entering the church, you dip your hand into the holy water and genuflect and cross yourself with that water.

Also, you used it to shield yourself against some evil you are witnessing (blasphemy etc). That would be a reason to cross yourself anywhere.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man