Looking For Support

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Looking For Support
After 2 years of being a regular on another forum, I decided to leave because it wasn't doing me any good. I felt I was being ignored by the majority of users and now I don't have anywhere to really talk to anybody since I'm pretty much stranded out in the country and my few friends I do have are too far away. All I have right now is the internet, so, being a new atheist, I'm trying to find places that will accept me and where I can have at least some social interaction. I still haven't gotten many replies on my previous posts here so I'm wondering if someone can direct me to anywhere else on the internet where a person like me can interact with people on a daily basis. I don't want to give up what I had just because the people didn't like me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2014, 03:38 PM
RE: Looking For Support
Keep posting here. You just haven't been around or posted enough to really have gotten involved. You gotta give it a bit more time and effort, you'll see.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-07-2014, 03:47 PM
(26-07-2014 03:38 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Keep posting here. You just haven't been around or posted enough to really have gotten involved. You gotta give it a bit more time and effort, you'll see.

The problem is I already agree with most of what I see here so I don't feel like I need to add anything. I'm not very interesting so it's hard to just randomly share stuff about myself.
26-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Just jump on in! We have threads here on almost every topic you can think of.

And don't say you aren't interesting...you are unique, as are we all. I am sure you can fit in here just fine.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-07-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm boring as fuck and people reply to me! Big Grin
Tell us your story! What lead you to atheism?

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
26-07-2014, 03:57 PM
(26-07-2014 03:56 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I'm boring as fuck and people reply to me! Big Grin

off topic - apologies to the OP

No, you are not boring Monster - at least I don't think so. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Actually don't Smile

I have just seen you've made an intro thread, I'll jump on there!

26-07-2014, 04:00 PM
(26-07-2014 03:47 PM)Cyvas Wrote:  
(26-07-2014 03:38 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Keep posting here. You just haven't been around or posted enough to really have gotten involved. You gotta give it a bit more time and effort, you'll see.

The problem is I already agree with most of what I see here so I don't feel like I need to add anything. I'm not very interesting so it's hard to just randomly share stuff about myself.

Randomly sharing stuff about yourself is what will make you interesting. You have to put yourself out here a bit if you want a response, I'd be willing to bet that you have plenty of interesting thoughts on different things, you just have to put them out there.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
26-07-2014, 04:05 PM
(26-07-2014 03:56 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I'm boring as fuck and people reply to me! Big Grin

Just basic education. I grew up being lied to and lying to myself and decided to look for an honest representation of reality. I was tired of baseless beliefs. At first I tried to look for God in science. When I heard about multiverse and extra dimensions I tried to think of a way that God would fit into our reality. For about half a year I had decided God was in the 11th dimension and could only reach through to our reality by using natural laws and systems which he established at the beginning of time. It seemed to work but then I started looking more into the definition of God and found that it made no sense. how could someone have emotion and still hold infinite omnipotence and omnipresence? A thinking being would require time to make a decision to create time. Then I sort of drifted into deism but not quite. I felt that God was a presence but not a being. After that I chose to accept reality for what it is and only believe in what I can back up with evidence. I'm not an anti-theist by any means, but I am an honest person trying to explain things the best I can. Of course I live with my mom and brother who still say they are Christians so I often have arguments with them over really meaningless things.
[+] 1 user Likes Cyvas's post
26-07-2014, 04:13 PM
(26-07-2014 04:05 PM)Cyvas Wrote:  

Just basic education. I grew up being lied to and lying to myself and decided to look for an honest representation of reality. I was tired of baseless beliefs. At first I tried to look for God in science. When I heard about multiverse and extra dimensions I tried to think of a way that God would fit into our reality. For about half a year I had decided God was in the 11th dimension and could only reach through to our reality by using natural laws and systems which he established at the beginning of time. It seemed to work but then I started looking more into the definition of God and found that it made no sense. how could someone have emotion and still hold infinite omnipotence and omnipresence? A thinking being would require time to make a decision to create time. Then I sort of drifted into deism but not quite. I felt that God was a presence but not a being. After that I chose to accept reality for what it is and only believe in what I can back up with evidence. I'm not an anti-theist by any means, but I am an honest person trying to explain things the best I can. Of course I live with my mom and brother who still say they are Christians so I often have arguments with them over really meaningless things.

And you're 18???

When I was 18, I was smoking pot and chasing girls! I think you will have a massive amount of input on this forum my friend!

I did take the God question seriously though, it isn't a big deal culturally in the UK but from my mid teens onwards, I thought it was singularly THE most important question I needed to answer for myself. My road took me in to mormonism and promltly back out. I am 38 now and most definitely antitheist, more towards the belief than the believer!

Find some threads, dive in Smile