Looking for 1 volunteer for an experiment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2016, 02:54 PM
RE: Looking for 1 volunteer for an experiment
(21-05-2016 02:03 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 09:10 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  im confused what are you afraid of losing as cost? that you did something which wasn't backed with justification and that scares you? are you the kind who dances because dancing is an exercise so you have a reason to dance? does sky diving seem reasonable risk ? im sure there isn't a reason for anyone to do that? why do they? Why should a couple have kids? what is the reason? when you know its going to be 9 months of torture , and shyt loads of trouble .

I had said that believing things without justification is too high a cost in response to you saying that your woo was free. If you have beliefs that do not correspond to reality then you are more likely to make bad decisions. I would think that was a pretty simple concept.

Your attempts to deflect with nonsense about needing justification to dance or sky dive or undertake other activities is ridiculous and has nothing to do with not believing things on insufficient evidence. There is a huge difference between deciding that you want to have children despite the potential costs (a personal value judgement) and believing that you have a way to experience some alternate realm (an unsubstantiated claim about the nature of reality). They aren't even remotely similar.

i did nothing , you made yourself a slave to your own chains that you want proof even before testing harmless stuff that is an evidence of how scared you are .

All i know is what was told,
All i think is what i know,
All i am is what i think,
All i know NOT is who I Am.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2016, 02:55 PM
(21-05-2016 08:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 08:24 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  Those objections are valid...so why would i fight them? its not that i am avoiding to fight ..they are valid lmao ..i said what you said made sense ..so ...wtf? why do expect me to fight something that i agree with.

"awesome goodness" - it simply dissolves you in a split second and makes you reappear , it feels like you are a sponge squeezed out of dirty water and re dipped into a fresh bucket. but in some time you get dirty again..depends on how long you kept that feeling alive..
..this is my personal experience and don't read into this as another desperate attempt. because i will reply if you ask.

Facepalm Kid. I feel good about myself without all the silliness. Good luck Rolleyes
what brings you back , i thought you made it through in your own bliss. Old man.

All i know is what was told,
All i think is what i know,
All i am is what i think,
All i know NOT is who I Am.
21-05-2016, 03:13 PM
hop in girly man , lets get the party started.
21-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Firstly, G'day from Downunder, and welcome to the forums. Smile

(18-05-2016 09:21 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  I'm a faith head. i have my reasons to be that way...
I'm more than happy to acknowledge (but not blindly condone) your faith. Half my close friends are practising Christians.

Quote:I love Atheists and i agree with everything and i totally would be an atheist if it wasn't for a few things that i witnessed personally.
This is really a nonsensical claim; that you'd be an atheist "if it wasn't for.....". That's just as meaningless as me (a lifelong atheist) saying that I'd be a Christian or a Muslim if I wasn't an atheist. You're by any logic either a theist or an atheist. So the mere fact that you have faith and believe in a supernatural entity (gods) and paranormal phenomena (miracles and prayers etc) makes you a theist totally.

Quote:[...] may not even be very open minded, and not a closed mind either. sort of luke warm casual positive minded Atheist.
Another nonsensical description of atheism. It's obvious you have very little understanding of what the word actually means, and as you're a person of faith I can understand that. You're conflating the terms "practicing" Catholic, or Jew or Muslim and a non-existent term "practicing" atheist. There are no "practices" involved with the one tenet of atheism—it's simply a personal, singular state of mind, that is (put super simply) that no gods have existed, do exist, or can exist.

Quote:RESULT- If the experiment succeeds, he/she would be able to see light around everything and everybody.
I'm sorry, but you're self-delusional if you think your "experiment" has even the slightest chance of being successful—which of course any rational thinker (even Christians!) will confirm in the negative. You might like to check this page discussing so-called Auras.

Quote:He/she will also begin to hear a louder than usual "sound of silence" which even tho is loud is never not soothing. He/she will get a tickling in every cell of the body as if ..you were a desert flower getting the first drop of rain in a zillion years.
Sorry, but this is just New Age metaphysical gobbledygook.

Quote:[...] it's also entirely non consequential regardless it fails or not.
So you're admitting it's a pointless exercise up front? Why waste our time participating in something that wouldn't (potentially) have any positive consequences?

I have to admit that I'm very reluctant to read any 15-page thread about metaphysical woo, particularly on a site devoted to atheism; as a result I have no idea as to what you said after your initial post. And if you've since retracted your claims, then I'm pleased.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
21-05-2016, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2016 04:15 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-05-2016 03:13 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  hop in girly man , lets get the party started.
Aye aye, Cap'n.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
21-05-2016, 04:29 PM
(21-05-2016 02:54 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  i did nothing , you made yourself a slave to your own chains that you want proof even before testing harmless stuff that is an evidence of how scared you are .

You really are an idiot. When did I say I wanted proof before testing anything? I'm sorry that you can't understand simple statements but that is hardly my problem.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
21-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Looking for 1 volunteer for an experiment
Why is everybody being mean to Silent?
21-05-2016, 06:26 PM
(21-05-2016 07:22 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 07:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  If scientists were "closed to the unseen" then radio communication would not exist. Microwaves would not exist. RADAR would not exist.

The main problem with "the unseen" that results in not a single demonstrable study showing its existence is that it's poorly defined. Ghosts. Telepathy. All that stuff. There tend to be eye-witness reports and so forth, but as soon as you set up for example a proper experiment to try and confirm if a claimed telepath can actually do what they claim, it all turns out to be either cases of genuine but mistaken belief or a confidence trick.

Why are science journals not filled with accounts of the miraculous properties of faith healing? You think doctors *want* to fiddle around with terrible things like radiation and chemotherapy, if all you need to do is to believe really hard and say some magic words? It's not because they don't want miracle cures, it's because the claimed cures *do not work*.

Scientists as well, do not have unlimited time. Of course they're not going to listen to idiots all day long - they have genuine work to do. So unless you can demonstrate the existence of the unseen yourself, whining that some scientist hasn't investigated it and doesn't believe it gets you nothing. What precisely do they lose by refusing to be interested in such claims? If the claim *is* true then eventually it will be demonstrated. Until then it's just a claim.

This is all valid..what you say makes total sense , and i was afraid of this reply because honestly i do not have a good counter for how damaging woo woo has been. But the next thing im going to say now..you have to understand this with utmost positivity ..There is some awesome goodness untapped ..it is simply awesome..and that is what compels me to cajole you. I wish i could explain ..but i am willing to accept my defeat because the likely hood of bringing that awesome goodness is rare. And the likely hood of things going haywire is much higher so its better left untapped.

All you lack is evidence. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-05-2016, 06:30 PM
(21-05-2016 05:55 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Why is everybody being mean to Silent?

He smells like a dirty sock. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-05-2016, 07:15 PM
(21-05-2016 06:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 05:55 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Why is everybody being mean to Silent?

He smells like a dirty sock. Drinking Beverage

He really does.