Looking for 1 volunteer for an experiment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 11:41 AM
RE: Looking for 1 volunteer for an experiment
(23-05-2016 09:27 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 08:56 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I asked only because your grammar is sometimes difficult for a native English speaker to follow and I'm guessing that some of your word choices are because of a more limited vocabulary. That is making it difficult to communicate clearly.

"I asked only because your grammar is sometimes difficult for a native English speaker to follow" -

Better way to structure the above sentence would be - Since , i am a Native English Speaker, At times ,makes it difficult to follow your grammar.

" I'm guessing that some of your word choices are because of a more limited vocabulary. That is making it difficult to communicate clearly."

The Adjective" More" limited is redundant .
"that" is making it difficult - incorrect reference, should use "which" instead of that.
This post was a mistake. For several reasons.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2016, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 12:26 PM by Silentroar.)
(23-05-2016 11:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 09:27 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  "I asked only because your grammar is sometimes difficult for a native English speaker to follow" -

Better way to structure the above sentence would be - Since , i am a Native English Speaker, At times ,makes it difficult to follow your grammar.

Facepalm
No, that is not a better structure. It is convoluted and simply wrong. If you were taught that structure for English sentences you should sue.

Quote:" I'm guessing that some of your word choices are because of a more limited vocabulary. That is making it difficult to communicate clearly."

No, it is not redundant. It may perhaps have been extraneous but that is not the same thing. Your English vocabulary appears to be more limited than the average native English speaker and that is what I was comparing it to.

quote]
"that" is making it difficult - incorrect reference, should use "which" instead of that.

Again, no. Had it been a single sentence I would have used 'which'. As a separate sentence the use of 'which' would have sounded awkward.
[/quote]
The word "that" is referring to "limited vocabulary" regardless of how many sentences were used. Which rule of grammar allows you to do so?

Definition of redundant - no longer needed or useful.
Definition of extraneous - unrelated to the subject being dealt with.
"much Limited vocabulary " here Much is no longer needed since limited itself is sufficient. It is not "extraneous - unrelated to the subject being dealt with. "

"No, that is not a better structure. It is convoluted and simply wrong. If you were taught that structure for English sentences you should sue."

You should consult an actual British English Grammar expert to verify it.

All i know is what was told,
All i think is what i know,
All i am is what i think,
All i know NOT is who I Am.
23-05-2016, 12:14 PM
(23-05-2016 11:41 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 09:27 AM)Silentroar Wrote:  "I asked only because your grammar is sometimes difficult for a native English speaker to follow" -

" I'm guessing that some of your word choices are because of a more limited vocabulary. That is making it difficult to communicate clearly."

This post was a mistake. For several reasons.
And then...?

23-05-2016, 12:34 PM
(23-05-2016 12:12 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  The word "that" is referring to "limited vocabulary" regardless of how many sentences were used. Which rule of grammar allows you to do so?

"I'm guessing that some of your word choices are because of a more limited vocabulary. Which is making it difficult to communicate clearly."

A native English speaker would not use that syntax; at least no native speaker I ever heard would.

Quote:Definition of redundant - no longer needed or useful.
"much Limited vocabulary " here Much is no longer needed since limited itself is sufficient. It is not "extraneous - unrelated to the subject being dealt with. "

Extraneous can also mean "not forming a necessary part of something : not important" and that is the sense in which I used it. I could have left out the word 'more' without significantly changing my meaning.

Quote:"No, that is not a better structure. It is convoluted and simply wrong. If you were taught that structure for English sentences you should sue."

I am using American English but you are still wrong. The sentence as you phrased it is simply wrong. You certainly do better at English than I would at Hindi but that isn't saying much.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
23-05-2016, 12:37 PM
(23-05-2016 08:07 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Still... lets hope we can over come the language barrier and reach an understanding. Thumbsup

He's been refusing to learn to speak rational. Unless you're volunteering to learn to speak moron. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-05-2016, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 12:50 PM by Silentroar.)
(23-05-2016 12:34 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 12:12 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  The word "that" is referring to "limited vocabulary" regardless of how many sentences were used. Which rule of grammar allows you to do so?

"I'm guessing that some of your word choices are because of a more limited vocabulary. Which is making it difficult to communicate clearly."

A native English speaker would not use that syntax; at least no native speaker I ever heard would.

Quote:Definition of redundant - no longer needed or useful.

Extraneous can also mean "not forming a necessary part of something : not important" and that is the sense in which I used it. I could have left out the word 'more' without significantly changing my meaning.

Quote:"No, that is not a better structure. It is convoluted and simply wrong. If you were taught that structure for English sentences you should sue."

I am using American English but you are still wrong.
[/quote]

"A native English speaker" = first of , native Americans Were not "ENGLISH". If you say "Native English" you are directly implying "British" The word English describes citizens of ENGLAND , as well as the spoken language.

I can give you a few links on history if that interests you.

23-05-2016, 01:01 PM
(23-05-2016 12:39 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  "A native English speaker" = first of , native Americans Were not "ENGLISH". If you say "Native English" you are directly implying "British" The word English describes citizens of ENGLAND , as well as the spoken language.

Facepalm

Wow, I thought you were foolish with your beliefs about aura-like glows and other realms.... now I see you are just an idiot.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
23-05-2016, 01:05 PM
(23-05-2016 01:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 12:39 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  "A native English speaker" = first of , native Americans Were not "ENGLISH". If you say "Native English" you are directly implying "British" The word English describes citizens of ENGLAND , as well as the spoken language.

Facepalm

Wow, I thought you were foolish with your beliefs about aura-like glows and other realms.... now I see you are just an idiot.

Im glad you show signs of progress , keep your observation abreast with the ongoing progress . And hope to learn more everyday. That is a good attitude to pursue for someone with a Future full of potential. Thumbsup

23-05-2016, 01:05 PM
(23-05-2016 12:39 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 12:34 PM)unfogged Wrote:  "I'm guessing that some of your word choices are because of a more limited vocabulary. Which is making it difficult to communicate clearly."

I am using American English but you are still wrong.

"A native English speaker" = first of , native Americans Were not "ENGLISH". If you say "Native English" you are directly implying "British"

[/quote]

No, "native English speaker" means someone for whom English was the first language they learned (another way to say it would be that English is the speaker's mother tongue).

American English and British English have slightly different rules for spelling and punctuation and some differences in the way some words are defined.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
23-05-2016, 01:13 PM
(23-05-2016 01:05 PM)julep Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 12:39 PM)Silentroar Wrote:  I am using American English but you are still wrong.

"A native English speaker" = first of , native Americans Were not "ENGLISH". If you say "Native English" you are directly implying "British"

No, "native English speaker" means someone for whom English was the first language they learned (another way to say it would be that English is the speaker's mother tongue).

American English and British English have slightly different rules for spelling and punctuation and some differences in the way some words are defined.
[/quote]

Native English speaker = british / citizen of england who speaks.