Looking for INet Security

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Heart Looking for INet Security
I'm looking for a highly effective and strongly recommended due to personal experience, anti-virus software. Preferably freeware. But I can manage a bit of cash if need be.
My cable provider offers Norton Security Suite, but I don't know about that one. When I use to have it on my very first machine, after purchasing it because it wasn't provided by my ISP, it seemed that when I was due to renew that's when I'd get all these Trojan attacks and stuff. I figured it was a scare tactic embedded into the program so as to persuade me I needed to renew because "the threat is real!Will Robinson" Tongue

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have Firefox browser if that helps in matters of consideration with compatibility.

Thank you for reading me. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2011, 06:53 AM
RE: Looking for INet Security
Well I would recommend AVG Free or Avira File Walker as decent free anti-virus programs.
Take note that what one anti-virus sees another may not and vice-versa.
Also give Housecall a look. It's free and it's a remote scan from company servers so no installation required.
(this is assuming you have a Windows OS)

To keep your browser clean I recommend NoScript and AdBlock. Also NoScript blocks any potentially harmful scripts just make sure you configure it well or nothing will load on web pages Tongue

Also , try CCleaner to keep your computer free of useless junk and clean the registry.
Last be aware that there are such things as false positives with many anti-virus programs. It can happen a lot with cracks and wrappers.(and auto-run functions)

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2011, 03:09 PM

Thank you for all that wonderful information. I do have Windows OS and Firefox browser. So I'm now up and safely running. Smile

Wouldn't know a free IP anonymizer would you?
25-04-2011, 08:35 PM
@gassykitten
Yes I would Tongue
https://www.torproject.org/
Just download this and use it with Mozilla and you have IP anonymity.
Take into account that your MAC address isn't being masked and this is just basic level protection so don't go hacking CIA websites Tongue
But for the most part it will protect your privacy , although at the cost of speed.

Also , give this a try : http://freenetproject.org/

26-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Thank you for all your information. Wow, you know stuff! Big Grin

I would never think to browse the CIA websites.
Secret Service however, is another matter. HA HA HA HA! Oh hell, with my luck Echelon just read that and I'll be in cuffs by nightfall. ConfusedTongue

I tried the Freenetproject. There's some issue with a wrapper that keeps shutting it down or off, after it's downloaded on my machine.

I tried Housecall and it found no nasty clingers on, which is a good thing.

So I'm off to try Tor. I just hope I can figure out how to configure it. Like math, when something starts instructing how to do all this computer stuff in computer lingo, my eyes cross. We'll see.

Do you know any other anonymizers that might work so it doesn't take itself out of service on my machine? Hmmm? *flutters lashes, curls tail into question mark*

Yep, it's those visuals first thing in da mornin that makes ya smile, isn't it? Go ahead, admit it. Wink
26-04-2011, 08:19 AM
If I come up with some more services I'll let you know.
Tor doesn't need that much configuration , just start the Vidalia Control Panel after it's installed and you have yourself a go.
Also , you may read up on this Ghostery Add-on, haven't tried it but seems promising : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox.../ghostery/

26-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Rainbow RE: Looking for INet Security
I've been browsing around and found some links to share right back at ya. Wink

And I have Ghostery installed on my Firefox. It's great, though shocking at how many trackers can be blocked at any given web page. As much as 6 thus far at some.I've not seen any more than that caught and blocked yet. But it's early as I've only had it installed for a little over a week.

The Linage:

The Electronic Frontiers Foundation (EFF) HTTPS Everywhere

INet Security Milly's Links

Onion Routing

Privoxy (* I installed this one* )

The Spyware Warrior
- Big Net Security Info Site