Looking for Superior Browser To Firefox 4.0 ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2011, 04:24 AM
RE: Looking for Superior Browser To Firefox 4.0 ?
I'm not sure about Safari, never used it, but I know about other... Opera was my first browser, for Windows of course. Then I started with Mozilla Firefox and used it for years. What I still like about Firefox are its ad-ons and simplicity for installing them and everything else. But maybe the new 5.0 version will be better, because this 4.0 version does not support half of the ad-ons that were in the 3.6 version. And after years and years I returned to Opera. I never found out how to install any plug-in into Opera, they have some weird way of installing ad-ons using console commands, so I don't want to go into that part of exploring. But even without those things it is still the fastest and safest browser I've seen. And it is mostly used by web-developers.

Now on the other hand you have IE and I will not waste my time on it. Last week I had to use for a while and it crashed 10 times in 5 minutes, so I installed Firefox on that machine. And I'm talking about IE 8 with all the updates. Piece of crap.

But the Chrome is great if you don't need or want any cool ad-ons like Firefox has. Minimalistic, lightning fast and best flash support at the moment. It is still a bit new and in developing, but it's not like some beta, very stable, normal to work with.

P.S.
Opera has Speed Dial and I have became addicted to it. I think even Chrome has it now. Try Opera first.

http://www.opera.com/browser/download/

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2011, 05:15 AM
(31-05-2011 03:03 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Thank you all for the recommendations. I've had Chrome before. I don't like the privacy issue or the ad's. I do have pop-up blocker on full, on my IE operating system, but still. When Google makes a cookie that installs and stays on your hard drive until 2038, unless you reformat, there's something odd about that. Then again, Google has insinuated itself everywhere on the net, so it's virtually impossible to avoid.

Safari and Opera sound good. I'll take a look.

Thank you all again. Smile I have Windows XP Professional, just as an FYI if that helps with any further advice. Smile

Well , there is Chromium (the open source version of Chrome) http://dev.chromium.org/Home
You could give it a try - not sure if it's as much of a Big Brother as Google.

But , if you have time to do some research :
[Image: Timeline_of_web_browsers.svg]
Link : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...owsers.svg

@observer
Didn't take you for a Linux user ? So what distro and what text editor ? Answer carefully or I will burn you at the stake .... Wink

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
01-06-2011, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2011 06:33 AM by Observer.)
(01-06-2011 05:15 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  @observer
Didn't take you for a Linux user ? So what distro and what text editor ? Answer carefully or I will burn you at the stake .... Wink
At daytime I use Windows XP on my employers laptop, but at night-time...

I'm one of those "UBUNTU-running-GNome" softy's Smile
(now don't gimmi that "no true scotchman" shit Dodgy )

@GassyKitten
Looks like you'll become enlightened

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
01-06-2011, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2011 06:25 PM by DeepThought.)
(31-05-2011 03:03 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Thank you all for the recommendations. I've had Chrome before. I don't like the privacy issue or the ad's. I do have pop-up blocker on full, on my IE operating system, but still. When Google makes a cookie that installs and stays on your hard drive until 2038

Thank you all again. Smile I have Windows XP Professional, just as an FYI if that helps with any further advice. Smile
That cookie has nothing to do with any browser. And this site generates cookies too. Almost every site does that! Your forum login - in the form of a session id is stored in a cookie - delete it and you need to login to this forum again.

Same with the cookie Google use to store search preferences. The search engine doesn't require a login - but it remembers any settings like language etc so next time you open the browser you don't need to set search settings and language again. It makes sites easier to use.

Nothing is stopping you from deleting the cookie, though next time you do a search another one will be created and your settings are lost. It's not all that sinister like that link suggests. I think Google anonymise their data after ~2 years by stripping away IP and Cookie information.

The guy who wrote that article thinks "if that was the case the browser could send the settings to Google as part of the request"
Browsers don't want to know or care about the specifics of one website.. The mechanism to store website settings IS a cookie. Short of that Google would have to request a login! which isn't practical for doing a simple search.

That particular cookie is a first party cookie - meaning only Google can read it and other parties can't use it to track where you are going. (I assume some people have heard of tracking cookies.)
If your browser is retrieving data from the 'google.com' server - that is the only time the first party cookie can be used. If you go here or to different domain this webserver wont have access to your 'google.com' cookie.

Most of that article is hyped up to make something out of a non issue, and the writer seems to wildly speculate without understanding how websites and cookies work. People who don't understand cookies will confuse tracking cookies with first party cookies and not know the difference. This forum uses a first party cookie to keep you logged in as you move from one page to the next.

[Image: evilcookiehate128623606813138417.jpg]
Even if there really was some sinister plot behind that cookie I would still use Google - just because I hate Micro$oft and Bing so much.. And I trust them much less with my data.

Microsoft try to lock people in to their system by using proprietary formats and avoiding open standards wherever possible, making it difficult to move your data to another platform.
Endless security vulnerabilities.. Hell they can't even build a secure operating system. How can I trust them with running a decent and secure server farm? And Windows servers suck... Theres a reason most web-servers run on Linux!

Don't ask me to be fair when it comes to Microsoft. I'm as biased as they come.. I don't think Microsoft has a squeaky clean corporate record though. *shudders at the thought of Microsoft*
I'm not saying Google is a saint. I just think there is evil, and then there is EVIL evil.

Oh - and I use Chrome also, BTW it has 'incognito mode' where the browser will not retransmit any existing cookies to a website, and all session; cache; and history is removed when the browser is closed.
http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin...swer=95464

Opera and Safari are ok too though I think they will lag a bit behind Chrome for supporting all the latest features and web standards.
I deleted all links to IE and only occasionally use it to test some code I created for compatibility. I wish no-one used IE.. It would make web development 2x easier.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
01-06-2011, 10:56 AM

(01-06-2011 06:19 AM)The_observer Wrote:  @GassyKitten
Looks like you'll become enlightened

Yep, and it's all your fault. Tongue
(01-06-2011 08:42 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  [Image: evilcookiehate128623606813138417.jpg]
Tongue I love you for that. (HUGS) You're why I adore the computer geniuses on this site. So many, everywhere I look. Smile

Thank you so much for such a thorough explanation. I've heard of the dread decades lasting evil cookie for years now, and I found that website after searching keywords relating to that. I thought all cookies were capable as tracking cookies. So I learned a lot today. Thank you.

I also appreciate your advice about Chrome. I'll be checking into Chrome and Opera. Maybe Safari also, just to see what's there.

I do hope Firefox does something to fix the trouble the 4.0 update version is having. It's a mess. Maybe 5.0, as someone said, will be superior and with no bugs. (Crossing all things crossable...falls over. )
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2011, 11:17 AM
(01-06-2011 06:19 AM)The_observer Wrote:  At daytime I use Windows XP on my employers laptop, but at night-time...
I'm one of those "UBUNTU-running-GNome" softy's Smile
(now don't gimmi that "no true scotchman" shit Dodgy )

Relax , I'm new to the whole thing but I have seen a Red-Hat versus a Debian user - funny as hell , like seeing a Muslim and a Christian argue over which religion is best - same goes for text editing - it's like a holy war - we need Linux software atheists. Big Grin

I'm a Windows 7 man for my gaming. Wine and Cedega aren't up to par yet - sadly , so I'm stuck with Micro$oft's lovely crap pile.
I think Uncyclopedia said it best :
[Image: Windows.png]

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
01-06-2011, 11:50 AM
I think Chrome is not one of the best, so give it a try!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Ive used Chrome for quite awhile and just recently switched back to Firefox. Its a great browser though and definitely worth a shot. I also like what Safari has done as well. Decent browser these days.
01-06-2011, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2011 06:30 PM by DeepThought.)
Erm, this is embarrassing.. I meant 1st party cookies.. 3rd party cookies are the ones with more privacy implications. I fixed it.

http://services.google.com/analytics/bre...index.html

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
02-06-2011, 12:42 AM
So I had a bunch of issues with Firefox 4 and I am now using Safari. Love it so far. Tried Opera. It was alright but I prefer Safari at this point.