Looking for a bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Looking for a bible
Which bible would be best?
Answers: none of them, a blank one, the fsm bible, the atheist's bible.

Seriously, If you were wanting to study the bible, which version would you go for? I looked around and there were thousands of different versions (Most of them copyrighted as well, how on earth do they justify that? God's 'holy and inerrant' book is copyrighted? Who but God is up themselves enough to deem themselves worthy?)

So what I'm after is a bible that's:
a) Not copyrighted
b) Popular
c) Not sanitized by someone who was offended by God's 'holy and inerrant' book and took it upon themselves to censor God's word so that it has had all the sodomising removed, those were the good bits God damn it! Less 'knowing', more rogering please.
d) Regarded as accurate (An accurate translation I mean, not an accurate account of what actually happened, of course)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2011, 08:45 AM

RE: Looking for a bible
Check out Bart Ehrman's Miquoting Jesus because not only is is quite good, there is a lot of information on "versions" of the good book.
Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2011, 09:05 AM
I have yet to really read the whole thing, which I one day hope to do, but I often go to Biblegateway.com or similar sites where you can change any verse or verses to many different translations and versions. Of particular interest is the "Modern English Version" which, while not flowery or poetic at all, makes much of what is said easier to understand. Which I find to be my favorite method of deconstructing Biblical passages - get rid of the flowery poetry stuff and tell me what it's actually saying.

I also remember reading somewhere that the American Standard Version tends to be very well translated. But unfortunately I don't remember where I got that information.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
14-01-2011, 12:32 PM
(14-01-2011 08:38 AM)LeighJones Wrote:  Which bible would be best?
Answers: none of them, a blank one, the fsm bible, the atheist's bible.

Seriously, If you were wanting to study the bible, which version would you go for? I looked around and there were thousands of different versions (Most of them copyrighted as well, how on earth do they justify that? God's 'holy and inerrant' book is copyrighted? Who but God is up themselves enough to deem themselves worthy?)

So what I'm after is a bible that's:
a) Not copyrighted
b) Popular
c) Not sanitized by someone who was offended by God's 'holy and inerrant' book and took it upon themselves to censor God's word so that it has had all the sodomising removed, those were the good bits God damn it! Less 'knowing', more rogering please.
d) Regarded as accurate (An accurate translation I mean, not an accurate account of what actually happened, of course)

They're all available online at BibleGateway. That's what I use for looking up verses. I don't know about which one is most accurate, but most consider the King James Version to be the authoritative text.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
14-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Yes, the King James Bible is considered the authoritative version, as it was translated from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, and not from Latin, so I would say that's probably the best version for an accurate translation.

I think that any version would work though, as long as it's an annotated version (i.e. a version that gives footnotes about unclear passages or meanings, or gives alternate readings or words due to translation).

That being said, the best version ever is the Brick Testament though that may not be the place to look for a serious reading Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula