Looking for a book...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2014, 03:22 AM
RE: Looking for a book...
(13-01-2014 12:05 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Also, "Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth" is a pretty easy read. There are some aspects of it I don't like, but for the vast most part it's a very good depiction of the events surrounding that time of the bible.

Yes, this is a good book. I thought "bugger..he got his book out before I got mine out!" LOL
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2014, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 03:55 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(13-01-2014 11:30 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I'm looking for something that puts each book/gospel of the bible in context as far as what was going on in the society in which it was written at the time and that explains why that gospel would have been relevant to followers in that period. Long shot, I know but any suggestions?

Um... I've been doing that for 7 or 8 years. Honestly, I suggest you don't waste your time. Life is too good. There are languages to learn, countries to visit, sports to play, relationships to be made, food to eat, wine to drink, motorcycles and cars to ride and drive, and other great things to do. Pouring over ancient texts written by ignorant money hungry, power hungry priests and propagandists is a total waste of time.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
14-01-2014, 05:53 AM
(14-01-2014 03:49 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 11:30 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I'm looking for something that puts each book/gospel of the bible in context as far as what was going on in the society in which it was written at the time and that explains why that gospel would have been relevant to followers in that period. Long shot, I know but any suggestions?

Um... I've been doing that for 7 or 8 years. Honestly, I suggest you don't waste your time. Life is too good. There are languages to learn, countries to visit, sports to play, relationships to be made, food to eat, wine to drink, motorcycles and cars to ride and drive, and other great things to do. Pouring over ancient texts written by ignorant money hungry, power hungry priests and propagandists is a total waste of time.

I know this but closing all of the well established crazy-religious neural connections that were unwittingly forged into my brain as a child has proven to be a long and are arduous process. In short, I research for my ongoing sanity plus i find it fascinating.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jaxx's post
14-01-2014, 06:10 AM

The "Why" is simple human psychology. Holy beliefs of both polytheism and monotheism reflected the surf feudal societies or the "divine rights". Humans stupidly attached wealth and success to sky heros providing them that. And the god/s reflected a very tribal and authoritarian existence.

For the same reason you can find depictions of Ra the Egyptian sun god favoring the pharaohs, you find the word "lord" in the bible. It is why for example you see the stupid ignorant stories of the lineage of Jesus traced back to kings.

It all amounts to human ignorance in the end and the god/s merely reflect the cultures of those who invented them.

This is actually yet another reason, although it can be good sport to pick apart the contradictions in the bible, I really hate getting into arguments over traditions of text. All the bible proves is that people wrote shit down. It does not make, and never will make magic babies or zombie gods real.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
14-01-2014, 09:35 AM
(14-01-2014 05:53 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I know this but closing all of the well established crazy-religious neural connections that were unwittingly forged into my brain as a child has proven to be a long and are arduous process. In short, I research for my ongoing sanity plus i find it fascinating.

If that's the case, I seem to recall you somewhere in the forum saying that you are an exmormon? Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. But if that's the case you might like this book: "The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion Book One: The Mormons"

That being said, I have to say I have not yet read it so cannot vouch for it, but I've heard good things, and think it sounds interesting. But again, I can't say anything first hand about it.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
14-01-2014, 10:06 AM
http://www.amazon.com/How-Bible-Became-B...inw_strp_1

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-01-2014, 10:12 AM
(14-01-2014 09:35 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 05:53 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I know this but closing all of the well established crazy-religious neural connections that were unwittingly forged into my brain as a child has proven to be a long and are arduous process. In short, I research for my ongoing sanity plus i find it fascinating.

If that's the case, I seem to recall you somewhere in the forum saying that you are an exmormon? Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. But if that's the case you might like this book: "The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion Book One: The Mormons"

That being said, I have to say I have not yet read it so cannot vouch for it, but I've heard good things, and think it sounds interesting. But again, I can't say anything first hand about it.

I would like ANY book with "Complete Heretic's Guide..." in the title!
buwwaahaaa
awesome

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
15-01-2014, 10:53 AM
(14-01-2014 09:35 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  

Thanks! Strangely, I'm 100% over the Mormon part. I guess my anxiety defaulted to regular ole hellfire Christianity after my deconversion. I'm not sure why?
15-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'll probably end up reading them all. I have issues.
15-01-2014, 02:24 PM
(15-01-2014 10:54 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'll probably end up reading them all. I have issues.

For the Hebrew Bible, David Carr's An Introduction to the Old Testament is about as up-to-date and thorough as it gets. It covers the main divisions and much more, including cultural and ideological contexts for the composition and transmission of the texts. For the New Testament Ehrman's textbook is one of the best. If you want more detail on the rhetorical, socio-political, cultic, and/or historical contexts of specific books, probably the best thing to do is look in individual commentaries. The Anchor Bible Series and the Hermeneia commentaries are by far the best, although the latter has fewer volumes completed (Anchor has only one or two left out of 80-something). You'll need access to a good university library to read those commentaries, though (or a friend deep in the academy), unless you want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

My Blog
[+] 1 user Likes maklelan's post