Looking for a couple of volunteers who have deconverted.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Looking for a couple of volunteers who have deconverted.
I've been working on my book and will hopefully will have a PDF available by early July that I can post on here to hopefully get some good constructive criticism, I really want to thank everyone who took the time to fill out the interview questions that I had, I wasn't sure how that chapter would work out, but it ended up amazing being able to compare different ideologies side by side.

As part of this process I have been attending different churches to try to get into the mind of believers, as well as talking to as many pastors as I could. This led me to another project that I have started, and I need help.

As many of you know, Christians don't respond well to evidence, or logical reasoning as they don't apply critical thinking to their faith. My new project is a narrative that shows a fundamentalist christian that becomes an atheist as he slowly realizes all his reasons for believing weren't true.

I have started the framework of the story, there a few objectives that I want.

1. All arguments are accurate, and represent factual information.

2. The story is very realistic and could happen pretty much anywhere.

3. I want any Christian who reads/watches it, to absolutely relate to it. I want them to look at it and feel like they are the Christian character.

I've never been a believer as I require evidence for everything, I know there are many on here who were, and I've read through a lot of great de-conversion stories, so I'm hoping to get some volunteers to help me with that.

All I need you to do is to read through different parts of the story and give feedback to make it as accurate as possible to represent the emotions and stages of de-conversion, so preferably people who bought the whole story; hook, line, and sinker at one point. I think between 2 and 5 volunteers would be optimal.

To summarize the ultimate goal, I want them to see this and leave with a lot of doubt, but I also want to cover any major questions that they would have, so when they go to their pastors, he gives them the same answer that had already been brought up and thoroughly refuted in the story.

Thanks everyone.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like microterf's post
02-04-2015, 07:44 AM
RE: Looking for a couple of volunteers who have deconverted.
I can help, former Pentecostal fundamentalist/creationist bible literalist here.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
02-04-2015, 07:48 AM
I am willing to assist. Formerly a confirmed Lutheran who taught Sunday school for awhile.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
[+] 1 user Likes Spooky's post
02-04-2015, 11:06 AM
I grew up in both United Methodist (creation story is a metaphor, Jesus was a hippie) and Southern Baptist (creation story is literal, Jesus came to bring a sword) churches. Closeted agnostic from about 15-18, reconsidered my faith at 18. I was a staff member at a church when I was 20/21. Deconverted to agnostic atheist less than a year ago.

I'd be willing to help Smile

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
02-04-2015, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't volunteer if you paid me.. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
02-04-2015, 12:45 PM
I don't know if I would fit, though I was a true blue catholic who thought of working for the church. I'd like to help though.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
02-04-2015, 11:16 PM
I can't help sorry as I never believed the bullshit, but I'm interested in your book. Tell me a little bit more about it. Have been writing one of those myself.Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2015, 06:22 AM
(02-04-2015 11:16 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I can't help sorry as I never believed the bullshit, but I'm interested in your book. Tell me a little bit more about it. Have been writing one of those myself.Smile

Which book? the first one that I have been working on, or the narrative that I am starting?

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.