Looking for "a few good books"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2011, 01:08 AM

Looking for "a few good books"
As I said in my intro, I am a new atheist (borderline...moving from being agnostic). I was hoping that a few of you could recommend a couple of "introductory" type books (for the new atheist) that are well written but not "over your head" in technicality.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2011, 02:26 AM
RE: Looking for "a few good books"
It depends what you are interested in.

To list all the cool books I bought since becoming interested in all of this stuff:
-God Is Not Great
-The God Delusion
-The Greatest Show on Earth
-Evolution: What The Fossils Say and Why It Matters
-Letter to a Christian Nation
-Misquoting Jesus
-Lost Christianities
-Bad Science
-Trick or Treatment
-50 Reasons People give for Believing in a God
-The Grand Design
-The Portable Atheist
-The Origin of the Species: Ray Comfort Anniversary Edition (for teh lolz)
-The Demon Haunted World
-The Selfish Gene
-The Moral Landscape

They have a bit of range. The Demon Haunted World is more skepticism/science, Trick or Treatment/Bad Science are about pseudoscience, The Grand Design is about advanced science (like big bang cosmology and more) made simple, Misquoting Jesus/Lost Christianities are about the history of christianity, God Is Not Great/The God Delusion are basically attacking religion.

They're all quite good books I would recommend, and if you want to see what other people are reading or would suggest to read, you can search the Literature section of the forum.

I don't usually go through the introduction part of the forum, so welcome. Smile

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2011, 03:18 AM
I would definitely recommend the God Delusion. One of the best books I've ever read.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
30-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:The Origin of the Species: Ray Comfort Anniversary Edition

In case you're wondering why; Ray comfort is a YEC that made a 50-page introduction about why Darwin is supposedly wrong. To give you an idea of his academic skills, watch this video:

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
01-06-2011, 12:33 PM
And of course the banana was created solely for us, humans, to eat. Nobody else. Just us.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user