Looking for best place to debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2014, 03:25 PM
RE: Looking for best place to debate
I find debate with most fundamentalists is a waste of breath. They will almost never admit the fallacies of their delusional beliefs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jack_Ripper's post
27-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Agreed Jack, but I'm not debating with them for them, I'm doing it for the fringe and for my entertainment. Keeps me sharp.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2014, 06:20 PM
(27-12-2014 03:57 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Agreed Jack, but I'm not debating with them for them, I'm doing it for the fringe and for my entertainment. Keeps me sharp.

I've found I can debate with certain people. It's usually people who don't fall to name calling. And some people are simply too stupid to respond in a way that you can respond back. I mean, the conversation with them is almost like talking to an alien whose brain has been pickled. Strange as it sounds I've debated people on Youtube video comment sections. You have to pick and choose who you respond to though and usually you don't get banned.

This might sound crazy but I actually print off great replies by atheists that I find on the internet. I have a damn stack of paper all clipped together that I've collected. There's some really smart people out there and the majority of them are atheists.

One thing I do is when I find a nasty Christian, and holy shit there are bunches of them, I'm super-duper polite. The nastier they are the nicer I am. It's a great way to show what ass holes they are.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks Dance, I tend to forget about YT. I have found a couple of groups on FB that are proving fruitful, but if it fails I'll go to YT.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2014, 06:50 PM
(28-12-2014 06:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This might sound crazy but I actually print off great replies by atheists that I find on the internet. I have a damn stack of paper all clipped together that I've collected.

I do something similar so we're both off our rockers. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-12-2014, 07:17 PM
(28-12-2014 06:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 06:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This might sound crazy but I actually print off great replies by atheists that I find on the internet. I have a damn stack of paper all clipped together that I've collected.

I do something similar so we're both off our rockers. Thumbsup

I tried to bookmark all the sites I liked but if it's a long comment section I have to scroll around and find the specific comment I liked. I got tired of doing that so I just print it out.

28-12-2014, 07:50 PM
You could try some google hangouts. Brett Keane and Gman do alot of debate hangouts, although tbh debating Gman would probably be a waste of your time.
[+] 1 user Likes Mage The Entertainer's post
30-12-2014, 03:51 AM
That's a shame, Facebook is going down hill in many ways
30-12-2014, 06:37 AM
(26-12-2014 09:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 09:45 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Lately I've been getting banned from Facebook theist-atheist groups, even though I'm not doing anything wrong. I get to the point where I can get a theist to agree to debate with me and then poof, I'm ousted.

Are there some groups or forums that debating is encouraged that anyone in here can recommend?

Thunderdome!

Actually I don’t have the patience for it so I haven’t gone looking, sorry I can’t help.

EDIT: Wait a minute, there was this guy name dr truth on a theist forum that was there for a long time and left by his own accord, his final post was a gem and I saved it
Here is a brief summary of what I have learned:

1. Some people's concept of god is that god is not omniscient.

Many of you have asserted that god does not know the outcomes of our choices before we make them, or knows all possible outcomes but not the actual outcomes in advance.

2. Some people's concept of god is that god's love and/or mercy is conditional.

Many of you have asserted that god is merciful but only to those he saves. Those who he creates knowing they will go to hell do not receive his mercy on the day of judgment, but his wrath.

3. I have learned some new (to me) paradoxes of faith:

a. If hell is a place where people are separated from god, then god can't be omnipresent. If god is omnipresent then hell can't be a place where people are separated from god.

b. God can't be omniscient and omnipotent at the same time. If he's omniscient, he knows every outcome in the history of the universe right at the start. Therefore, he can't change any outcome at all, because if he changes an outcome, then he didn't know what the outcome was and was therefore not omniscient. If god can't change any outcomes, he can't change any part of his plan, he is not omnipotent. God became effectively impotent the moment he became omniscient. At what point in creation did he become omniscient? At that moment, he lost his omnipotence.

In summary, the best solution to the paradox that allows the possibility of an omniscient, loving, merciful god who grants free will, is to abandon the idea of hell altogether, as one responder almost did when he said "hell is just the end of an unsaved person's existence". God could be omniscient, loving and merciful if he only creates people who will go to heaven. The only adjustment to faith that is required if we abandon the idea of hell is to dismiss the Christian view that the only way to the father is through Jesus. This rather inconvenient line of the Bible makes it abundantly clear that there is a heaven, and if so, as a matter of necessity, there must be a corresponding place that is not heaven, which you can call anything you like I suppose but is commonly called hell. However, if we want an omniscient, loving, merciful god and free will, then we must at the very least admit that such a god can only exist if every person goes to heaven after death. God could not permit a single soul into hell and be merciful. So, why has nobody suggested this simple answer to the paradox? It must be that the threat of hell is a requirement of religion, because if everybody goes to heaven regardless, then nobody has any compelling reason to worship god. Clearly, if a religion did not assert the existence of hell, then nobody would need to join the religion in the first place and the religion would have a very small congregation of people who worship god for reasons other than their desire to go to heaven.

I feel satisfied that we have gone as far as we can in the discussion and again would like to thank you all for contributing to helping me understand faith.

but at the moment I don’t remember the name of the forum.

Interesting, he sees all of these contradictions with this god that possesses these omni-qualities, but he wouldn't entertain the notion that perhaps a concept that has so many inherent contradictions is completely untenable, that such a being can only be a fantasy of the imagination. Or at the very least, this particular variety of deity is untenable, maybe Odin should be the One.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
30-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Amazon has a discussion board with all kinds of categories. Here's the Christian/religion discussion and if you scroll down you'll see the different categories.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/christianity

Another place, also in Amazon, is the book reviews of various books on religion. Almost any book by Bart Ehrman is going to bring out the religious nuts. Here's a discussion about his book "How Jesus Became God" If you click on the customer review section you'll see the feedback on the book and of course.......religious nuts. One problem is that you should read the book to discuss it.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Jesus-Became-G...merReviews

You can also try just about any book on evolution and you'll be sure to find religion discussed with Creationists in full force.

Amazon has a Shroud of Turin discussion that's been going on forever. There's some nitwit poster named Angel who's convinced it's real.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/religion?cdF...WT2S9CKVT3

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post