Looking for one-on-one discussion with a theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2017, 12:51 AM
Looking for one-on-one discussion with a theist
I'm again up for a discussion with one of the many theists on this board. I'd like more of a relaxed one-on-one exchange than the more... energetic forums tend to offer, and I would like a topic of your choosing that is either an element of your religion, or closely-related to religion.

Please state your position on the proposed topic in a paragraph or so, and if I hold a position of significant disagreement I will take you up on it.

Also, in order to screen out some of our more trollish members, I will at my option pass on discussions with anyone who holds negative rep or fewer than 20 posts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2017, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2017 04:58 AM by sneroul the thinker.)
RE: Looking for one-on-one discussion with a theist
Very well Just so you know I am an 3 on Dawkins scale. And I challenge you to try and debunk these miracle claims Fatima,Lourdes And The Incoruptables. I myself am generally skeptical of these claims and I would lie if I said I fully believe them never the less it seems to convenient for my liking. ok. I will wait for your response.
09-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Interesting hook.

I have had many discussions face-to-face with avowed atheists, and they have all been very cordial, almost academic.

I get chuckles from this forum and others in which the avowed atheists come out with club in hand and play whack-a-mole with their posts.

Yes, I am a theologian, but I left Christianity a long time ago. Didn't want to be a part of the hypocrisy any more after serving 20 years in various churches. Don't really want to be an atheist if I have to be associated with my new-found "friends" with the clubs, either.

In a nutshell, religion is 100% baloney, created to psychologically feel good. So is philosophy. And, I believe that atheism is made-up baloney, too. Just a normal knee-jerk reaction to the disappointments in the world, especially through the blah-blah bullshit of organized religion.

Not all religions are theist. Buddhism, which I like, is not. Neither is Taoism. There are others.

Yet, it would seem that the world would be better off if no one believed in a religion--organized religion, formulated religion, something with lots of rites, rules, and customs. I don't believe that such a position is possible. At the same time, I can't convince the guys with clubs to accept anything outside the restraining box that theism or religion in any form as to conform to their understanding.

So, the question of debate would simply be "there is nothing wrong in believing."

It is sad to see on one hand that there are theists who demand that people believe in a certain thing (subject, of course, to whatever the theists are peddling), and on the other hand atheists who are die-hard in promoting the concept of not believing in anything.

Thank you for reading.
[+] 2 users Like Wallisddj's post
10-01-2017, 01:33 AM
(09-01-2017 10:21 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  And, I believe that atheism is made-up baloney, too.

That's one of the stupidest statements you've made. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
10-01-2017, 01:41 AM
Hrrrmm.

On the one hand, Sneroul got in first, and doesn't have the negative rep that I normally take as a warning sign that I'm getting someone more like TheBorg than like KingsChosen. But what little I've seen of Wallisddj suggests that I'd be okay with a discussion with him, so I'm willing to waive the rep requirement.

The thing is, I don't know the first thing about Fatima, Incorrutibles, etc. (Well I do NOW, but only because I just looked them up. Still don't know the second thing about them.) I'm the wrong person to do a debunking, just like your average person off the street is the wrong person to debunk a second-Kennedy-shooter conspiracy theory. About all I'd be in a position to do is research evidence or criticism that other people have produced, and I'm not really interested in a discussion that's entirely about copy-pasting other people's work.

So I think I'll go with Wallisddj instead.

---------------

I think the first thing to pin down in this discussion is precisely what you mean by "believing". Specifically, belief in what, and what does that belief constitute? Without a clearer statement of the topic of discussion, my position will be pretty nuanced.

Belief in something? I find it hard to believe (heh) that people can get through life without believing in anything... even that the light is red and they need to come to a stop or get creamed by a truck. Believing SOME things is just fine by me. But I suspect you have a much narrower, theological meaning than this.

It's not hard to identify SOME beliefs that have something very wrong with them. Believing, for example, that the sun will not rise tomorrow unless you cut out human hearts on a sacrificial alter to feed the soil with blood. That belief has (well, had) significant and deleterious consequences.

Believing in Christianity? (You said you left, so I'm not picking on you here, any more than I was picking on you in the last paragraph.) WHICH Christianity? There are so many different takes and interpretations and sects and denominations and practices, some of which are not problematic.

Any belief in a god, no matter how vague or general the concept? To cite one easy example, I've got nothing against the contents of a deistic belief, even if I see no reason to believe it myself.

In addition to the questions surrounding the particular content of the belief, there's also the question of the belief's context. What's motivating it, and does that path to belief represent a deranged epistemology that can cause serious harm in other ways? What will a person do to preserve it and advance the belief? So on.
10-01-2017, 01:53 AM
(10-01-2017 01:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 10:21 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  And, I believe that atheism is made-up baloney, too.

That's one of the stupidest statements you've made. Facepalm

Not really. I made statements before that I am sure are much more stupid.

Interesting that you don't back up your accusation, though. Love to hear it.
10-01-2017, 02:02 AM
(10-01-2017 01:41 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Hrrrmm.

On the one hand, Sneroul got in first, and doesn't have the negative rep that I normally take as a warning sign that I'm getting someone more like TheBorg than like KingsChosen. But what little I've seen of Wallisddj suggests that I'd be okay with a discussion with him, so I'm willing to waive the rep requirement.

The thing is, I don't know the first thing about Fatima, Incorrutibles, etc. (Well I do NOW, but only because I just looked them up. Still don't know the second thing about them.) I'm the wrong person to do a debunking, just like your average person off the street is the wrong person to debunk a second-Kennedy-shooter conspiracy theory. About all I'd be in a position to do is research evidence or criticism that other people have produced, and I'm not really interested in a discussion that's entirely about copy-pasting other people's work.

So I think I'll go with Wallisddj instead.

---------------

I think the first thing to pin down in this discussion is precisely what you mean by "believing". Specifically, belief in what, and what does that belief constitute? Without a clearer statement of the topic of discussion, my position will be pretty nuanced.

Belief in something? I find it hard to believe (heh) that people can get through life without believing in anything... even that the light is red and they need to come to a stop or get creamed by a truck. Believing SOME things is just fine by me. But I suspect you have a much narrower, theological meaning than this.

It's not hard to identify SOME beliefs that have something very wrong with them. Believing, for example, that the sun will not rise tomorrow unless you cut out human hearts on a sacrificial alter to feed the soil with blood. That belief has (well, had) significant and deleterious consequences.

Believing in Christianity? (You said you left, so I'm not picking on you here, any more than I was picking on you in the last paragraph.) WHICH Christianity? There are so many different takes and interpretations and sects and denominations and practices, some of which are not problematic.

Any belief in a god, no matter how vague or general the concept? To cite one easy example, I've got nothing against the contents of a deistic belief, even if I see no reason to believe it myself.

In addition to the questions surrounding the particular content of the belief, there's also the question of the belief's context. What's motivating it, and does that path to belief represent a deranged epistemology that can cause serious harm in other ways? What will a person do to preserve it and advance the belief? So on.

Thank you. I copied your post and will need a day or two to answer your questions.

But regarding the Christianity question? I was trained to be a Lutheran (Missouri Synod) teacher with eyes on the ministry. Joined the Air Force and traveled the world, worked with many different churches with all kinds of denominations attending (off-base). Had a puppet ministry for ten years, and wrote several children's Christmas plays and three adult passion plays. But my last congregation, some twenty-plus years ago, was the icing on the cake when the hypocrisy got to me. And I have been fairly vociferous about my opposition to Christians who flout their hypocrisy and less so to the made-up religion overarchingly called Christianity. I have made it part of my business to try and understand the underpinnings of most most Christian sects.
10-01-2017, 02:07 AM
(10-01-2017 01:53 AM)Wallisddj Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 01:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  That's one of the stupidest statements you've made. Facepalm

Not really. I made statements before that I am sure are much more stupid.

Interesting that you don't back up your accusation, though. Love to hear it.

Take it to PM, then. To make it formal, under the boxing ring's rules, a challenge has been made and accepted and therefore this thread is closed except to myself and Wallisddj.

Take your time answering, Wallisddj. I'll probably only be able to average a post per day myself.
10-01-2017, 03:28 AM
Challenge accepted.

Seconds away.

[Image: 8fdc5343c0fcc010d8a9f265b388913d.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Boxing Ring...posts from people outside the two debaters will just be removed.

Participants ignore the comments from others. It makes it easier to tidy up the thread.

Thank you.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post