Looking for someone familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Looking for someone familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses
A little backstory: my parents are JWs, have been for the last 15+ years. I was 13 when they began studying with the witnesses and between 14 and 16 I was required to attend the weekly meetings with them. I've never been a believer in any supernatural hocus pocus, but for the couple of years I was having to attend, I did try to believe. I don't know why I tried, but I did. It never worked. Not once did I actually believe, but I did learn most of the things that JWs actually believe and what they don't (90% of people I've ever talked to have no clue what JWs believe and think some really weird things about JWs that just aren't true.)

Fast forward to now. I one of those inevitable knocks on the door last week. I had a nice, long discussion with the guy and it was rather enjoyable to actually have a somewhat intellectual discussion. I don't typically encounter that in my day-to-day life. I've never once hidden my non-belief and will (sometimes) go out of my way to mock religion publicly. Discussions are rarely very productive. Well, to keep it short, I explained my atheism and my strong interest (and knowledge) in science. I agreed to him dropping off different magazines that focus on the more science-y areas and to having a discussion in the near future. He challenged me to get a list of objections and things to discuss. I already have a very long list of things, BUT using the "Refuting the Bible" link here on TTA isn't going to be the best thing to use for JWs. They have a very sneaky logic in explaining away a lot of the things that usually work on most other flavors of Christianity. Also, their exact beliefs in things are different enough that a lot of the standard arguments are completely useless.

Make no mistake. I want to destroy any argument this guy brings to the table. I mean global-thermonuclear-war-type destruction. I'm just going to need some help in doing so from someone who's well versed in the beliefs of the Witnesses.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2012, 08:29 PM
RE: Looking for someone familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses
Do you really want to waste your time arguing with this JW.
Are you trying to convert him to atheism? I bet you can't even make a dent.
If he's crazy enough to knock on doors, he's completely in the belief.
There are millions of things I would rather do than to debate this JW, unless it's in an open forum and I could have influence on a listening audience.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
18-04-2012, 10:22 PM
I've spent the winter disabled and stuck in the house. It gives me something to do.

I knew several people who went door to door while I was stuck going to meetings who are no longer Witnesses. Hell, I knocked on doors. But no, I'm not trying to "convert" anybody. It's just a way to sharpen my debating skills. Is there anything wrong with that?
[+] 1 user Likes Darxide's post
19-04-2012, 04:18 AM
(18-04-2012 10:22 PM)Darxide Wrote:  I've spent the winter disabled and stuck in the house. It gives me something to do.

I knew several people who went door to door while I was stuck going to meetings who are no longer Witnesses. Hell, I knocked on doors. But no, I'm not trying to "convert" anybody. It's just a way to sharpen my debating skills. Is there anything wrong with that?
I reckon it is good practise. Be prepared for a little disappointment though. They are fundamentally odd (no disrespect to your parent's meant). I sometimes refer some of my patients to a very good, hard working, caring psychiatrist. The only people he refuses to see are JW's. He reckons their brainwashing and delusions are so ingrained he can't help them. Every JW patient I have (about ten) have serious psychological issues. Yes, i'm tarring them all with the same brush, but you are unlikely to help them. Have fun, tell us how you go.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-04-2012, 06:54 AM
(18-04-2012 07:49 PM)Darxide Wrote:  A little backstory: my parents are JWs, have been for the last 15+ years. I was 13 when they began studying with the witnesses and between 14 and 16 I was required to attend the weekly meetings with them. I've never been a believer in any supernatural hocus pocus, but for the couple of years I was having to attend, I did try to believe. I don't know why I tried, but I did. It never worked. Not once did I actually believe, but I did learn most of the things that JWs actually believe and what they don't (90% of people I've ever talked to have no clue what JWs believe and think some really weird things about JWs that just aren't true.)

Fast forward to now. I one of those inevitable knocks on the door last week. I had a nice, long discussion with the guy and it was rather enjoyable to actually have a somewhat intellectual discussion. I don't typically encounter that in my day-to-day life. I've never once hidden my non-belief and will (sometimes) go out of my way to mock religion publicly. Discussions are rarely very productive. Well, to keep it short, I explained my atheism and my strong interest (and knowledge) in science. I agreed to him dropping off different magazines that focus on the more science-y areas and to having a discussion in the near future. He challenged me to get a list of objections and things to discuss. I already have a very long list of things, BUT using the "Refuting the Bible" link here on TTA isn't going to be the best thing to use for JWs. They have a very sneaky logic in explaining away a lot of the things that usually work on most other flavors of Christianity. Also, their exact beliefs in things are different enough that a lot of the standard arguments are completely useless.

Make no mistake. I want to destroy any argument this guy brings to the table. I mean global-thermonuclear-war-type destruction. I'm just going to need some help in doing so from someone who's well versed in the beliefs of the Witnesses.

Thanks!
You're story doesn't make sense to me. You have been in the JW world, have access to all their literature and arguments; why are you asking us for anti-JW ammo? You have it at your fingertips.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-04-2012, 07:49 AM
(18-04-2012 10:22 PM)Darxide Wrote:  I've spent the winter disabled and stuck in the house. It gives me something to do.
Get a Gameboy.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
19-04-2012, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2012 08:53 AM by Darxide.)
(19-04-2012 06:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  You're story doesn't make sense to me. You have been in the JW world, have access to all their literature and arguments; why are you asking us for anti-JW ammo? You have it at your fingertips.
Did you miss the part where I said it was close to 15 years ago?

(19-04-2012 07:49 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Get a Gameboy.
Sorry, I'm not 12.
19-04-2012, 09:00 AM
(19-04-2012 08:53 AM)Darxide Wrote:  
(19-04-2012 07:49 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Get a Gameboy.
Sorry, I'm not 12.
Don't you be dissin' the Gamboy!!!! I'll be 21 next month and I still play Pokemon. Gotta catch 'em all, bro.

[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
19-04-2012, 09:19 AM
30 year old Pokemon master right here!
[+] 1 user Likes arbmouser's post
19-04-2012, 09:27 AM
It would probably take about 30 years to catch all 648 Pokemon.