Looking for strategies to help cope with reality.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2012, 02:11 PM
RE: Looking for strategies to help cope with reality.
If god peeled back the clouds and slapped you in the face, you would explain it away. Do you really believe we are freak show that just happened over millions of years.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Do you really believe that 6000 years ago a sadistic, child killing, jealous, stupid, genocidal monster made a man out of dirt? I mean really?.
[+] 3 users Like FSM_scot's post
13-11-2012, 02:20 PM
DeeDee (do you mind if I call you DeeDee?)

Well, DeeDee, I can understand that you feel you have an obligation to mentally masturbate on these forums. Sort of like how grandmothers like to email pictures of cats. It's annoying as fuck, but some people get their joys out of doing that. Just know it's a menage a 'un' that you're taking part in. The exhibitionism would best be kept private, kneeling on a hard piece of wood while clasping your hands thinking 'Oh God!'

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 5 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
13-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Hey DD. You're welcome to spread your message of light and love but you're completely off-topic and you're hijacking someone else's serious conversation. That's rude. If you want to spread the joy of Christ's salvation, please make your own thread.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
13-11-2012, 11:16 PM
(13-11-2012 01:43 PM)DickDawkins Wrote:  the bible has been proven historically correct by people trying to disprove it.Your not alone.

That is classic. What exactly is historically correct about it? All of it or just certain bits? What about all the bits that all credible historians and archaeologists agree are complete bullshit?

DickDawkins Wrote:Evolution is not fact it's a theory full of holes.

The old "Evolution is only a theory" line. Let me guess, you're totally ignorant of scientific terminology and have no idea of the difference between a theory and a hypothesis? Now you're frantically googling it?

DickDawkins Wrote:God has given you everything you need for life. The people on this site just don't want it to be true.

Really? And what is exactly is my motivation for actively denying this thing that I know to be true? Why would I want to deny it if I secretly believe it?

DickDawkins Wrote:Your not alone.

I agree with this point. There are many people on here who have become atheists after a lifetime of belief, other people who are also 'recovering from religion', people who can share your experience and offer advice and support. You are not alone.

DickDawkins, if you are gonna reply to anything I've said I'd prefer you to start a new thread somewhere and PM a link to it. I don't plan on derailing a serious thread just to chat with you.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
19-11-2012, 04:22 AM

Edit: His closing statements are the main point to be taken away, here.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
30-11-2012, 01:48 AM
(13-11-2012 02:11 PM)DickDawkins Wrote:  If god peeled back the clouds and slapped you in the face, you would explain it away. Do you really believe we are freak show that just happened over millions of years.
Hi DD. Thanks...it is due to comments like yours that I am firmly convinced of my Atheist convictions. You have just demonstrated that you have no empathy with the way that I was feeling...and I can also understand why you have said what you have said...because YOU believe that you have the answer...Jesus...just the same way that I believed beyond a doubt that I had the answers back when I was Christian. I have enquired about the evidence myself, thanks. However, please refrain from trolling posts like mine in which someone is genuinely grieving and fragile...it makes you look like something like the Christian form of a sexual predator and does nothing for your cause. Regards.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like amav.eram's post
30-11-2012, 02:01 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2012 02:07 AM by kpax.)
Hey, amav.eram.

I just wanted to remind you that de-converting from religion is a process. It won't happen overnight. It is okay to not have all the answers right now but look at it as the beginning of a journey where you can finally find out the truth.

I know how hard it is when you lose your religion, when everything you believed in and the way you lived your life has been taken away and you feel like you lived a lie. It feels like a spiritual death.

Eventually the trauma lessons and grows into acceptance. Let your brain lead you, keep your eyes wide open and know that it's not the destination that matters, but the journey.
[+] 3 users Like kpax's post
04-12-2012, 01:14 PM
(02-10-2012 06:02 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  Up until last night, I had never actually grieved losing my faith...in fact deep down I feel it still hasn't hit me properly, but last night some of it hit me.
I am really struggling to describe it, but it's like there is a point when you realise that you are absolutely alone. There isn't a God to love you when you feel like a failure. There isn't someone there to tell you things are going to be okay. And then there is Jesus...the guy who loved you so much and can transform your heart...not real.
Personally, my belief in God got me through a lot, there were times when I felt that I would not have survived if I had not have believed in God.

The reality is that I haven't really developed the skills to cope with tough situations...I feel that emotionally I'm a bit behind because of using God as a crutch for so long.

Now it dawns on me that, emotionally, God has to die...all that love and security and faith that I got from God...everything that got me through...that is going to die. And that is one of the most painful realisations for me. But it is time to grow up.

The real practical problem that presents itself is...What strategies am I going to learn to deal with the situations where in the past I used God?
The other question I have is:
In what ways can I discover beauty, inspiration and passion without God?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What has worked for you?
When you think about it, "God" didn't really get you through anything. You got yourself through with the illusion that there was a god. That means you do have the skills and the strength; you just have to learn to tap into them differently. You can start by believing you can do it on your own and I hope what I just said will help toward that end.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
04-12-2012, 02:36 PM
I carry a little towel. Its smells really good. Whenever I get worried I take it out, smell it and relax.

So maybe find a physical anchor that keeps you calm and carry it with you.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 2 users Like Xinoftruden's post