Looking for strategies to help cope with reality.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
RE: Looking for strategies to help cope with reality.
(07-10-2012 12:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-10-2012 06:02 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  And then there is Jesus...the guy who loved you so much and can transform your heart...not real. ...
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What has worked for you?

I made him real by becoming my own personal Jebus. Jebus told me to do it, but the Devil made me do it. Evil_monster

You might want to consider that the Jebus thing doesn't, how shall we say, end well.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-10-2012, 05:41 PM
(02-10-2012 06:02 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  Up until last night, I had never actually grieved losing my faith...in fact deep down I feel it still hasn't hit me properly, but last night some of it hit me.
I am really struggling to describe it, but it's like there is a point when you realise that you are absolutely alone. There isn't a God to love you when you feel like a failure. There isn't someone there to tell you things are going to be okay. And then there is Jesus...the guy who loved you so much and can transform your heart...not real.
Personally, my belief in God got me through a lot, there were times when I felt that I would not have survived if I had not have believed in God.

It takes time to realize just how many lies took the place of the truth, Eram. But, know this: You are not alone. There are many, just like you, who feel the same way. That is one of the primary goals of the forum. To help new atheists recover from such a devastating blow, and let me tell you, it does hurt.

(02-10-2012 06:02 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  The reality is that I haven't really developed the skills to cope with tough situations...I feel that emotionally I'm a bit behind because of using God as a crutch for so long.

Indeed, it is a sort of surreal event, is it not? So many people conned, and this lie is only passed down because of childhood indoctrination? A delusion that, because it is so pitifully childish, it must be taught among children. Written into our minds like one reformats a hard drive. And, with all honesty, it is a reformatting. You, me, everyone is born with a scientist's mind. The only difference is, for the majority of us, it is beaten out of us with pseudoscience and mythology.

(02-10-2012 06:02 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  Now it dawns on me that, emotionally, God has to die...all that love and security and faith that I got from God...everything that got me through...that is going to die. And that is one of the most painful realisations for me. But it is time to grow up.

The truth of the matter is that you and God were the same person, and that your mind simply created an internal entity to show yourself love. You were, and always will be loved an equal amount if you continue to trust and appreciate yourself.

(02-10-2012 06:02 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  The real practical problem that presents itself is...What strategies am I going to learn to deal with the situations where in the past I used God?
The other question I have is:
In what ways can I discover beauty, inspiration and passion without God?

Here is a quote from Carl Sagan.

I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

(02-10-2012 06:02 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What has worked for you?

Acceptance. It is the only thing to do before you can possibly move forward. You must accept the facts that lay before you, then you must look at such facts in a poetic sense. You and I are both created from a distant star, billions of years old, with an unimaginable distance from here to there. We are all the children of the stars, so while mythology failed on the how, they succeeded to a certain extent in describing us as the children of the gods.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Logica Humano's post
07-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Grieving is normal when you lose something that has been a big part of your life.

It doesn't matter what it is, if it leaves a void in your life then you will grieve.

Don't worry about grieving, just let it happen. It's your body's way to cleanse itself from what has disappeared from your life. It happens no matter who you are and what you are like.

What you can do is to fill the void with other things - reading is good. A hobby is good. Anything works, really, as long as you like spending time doing it.

Don't be hard on yourself, it takes time and it will come and go until one day you realize you are over it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
(07-10-2012 12:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 12:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I made him real by becoming my own personal Jebus. Jebus told me to do it, but the Devil made me do it. Evil_monster

You might want to consider that the Jebus thing doesn't, how shall we say, end well.Consider

Everything ends the same way, brother, "Wait wait I'm not ready yet!" Wink

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-10-2012, 10:35 PM
(02-10-2012 06:02 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  The reality is that I haven't really developed the skills to cope with tough situations...

Yes you have. Since now you know there is no God, the skills have been inside you all along. You just need something new. It's been Oprah Winfrey, Atheist channels on YouTube and other positive influences that does it for me.
[+] 3 users Like kpax's post
08-10-2012, 05:45 AM
(07-10-2012 10:35 PM)kpax Wrote:  
(02-10-2012 06:02 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  The reality is that I haven't really developed the skills to cope with tough situations...

Yes you have. Since now you know there is no God, the skills have been inside you all along. You just need something new. It's been Oprah Winfrey, Atheist channels on YouTube and other positive influences that does it for me.

Thanks...that really brings it into perspective, something I am finding is so important.
I think it is about time I planned some time out in the wilderness...I find that there is something about nature that is transcendant, but is just as it is...That has always been the thing that brings me back.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amav.eram's post
13-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Try this, God created you in his own image. His love for you is deeper than the ocean.
When you are out walking and look with your amazing eyes at all the incredible stuff. Think about this, everything works together in harmony. it's only human beings that get in it's way. the bible has been proven historically correct by people trying to disprove it. Evolution is not fact it's a theory full of holes. God has given you everything you need for life. The people on this site just don't want it to be true. Why not try the possibility that god loves you and has a plan for your life. Your not alone.
[+] 1 user Likes DickDawkins's post
13-11-2012, 02:00 PM
(13-11-2012 01:43 PM)DickDawkins Wrote:  Try this, God created you in his own image. His love for you is deeper than the ocean.
When you are out walking and look with your amazing eyes at all the incredible stuff. Think about this, everything works together in harmony. it's only human beings that get in it's way. the bible has been proven historically correct by people trying to disprove it. Evolution is not fact it's a theory full of holes. God has given you everything you need for life. The people on this site just don't want it to be true. Why not try the possibility that god loves you and has a plan for your life. Your not alone.
*sighs* Here we go again!

[Image: picard-facepalm-o.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
13-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Jesus will never leave you, even when the going is hard you know that in your heart and that is why your grieving. Evolution is full of holes. It's an unproven theory. The bible has been proven historically correct by people trying to disprove it. I'll be praying for you.
13-11-2012, 02:05 PM
(13-11-2012 02:03 PM)DickDawkins Wrote:  Jesus will never leave you, even when the going is hard you know that in your heart and that is why your grieving. Evolution is full of holes. It's an unproven theory. The bible has been proven historically correct by people trying to disprove it. I'll be praying for you.
I know you think you are being original but we've heard this shit hundreds of times before.

Why do we never get any original trolls here? This gets boring real fast.
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post