Looking for strategies to help cope with reality.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2012, 02:35 AM
RE: Looking for strategies to help cope with reality.
(04-12-2012 02:36 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  I carry a little towel. Its smells really good. Whenever I get worried I take it out, smell it and relax.

So maybe find a physical anchor that keeps you calm and carry it with you.
That is a really creative idea Xin.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2012, 02:44 AM
It's called "habituation". It can take a while. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habituation
BTW where did this DICK come from ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
Find all posts by this user
08-12-2012, 03:06 AM
(08-12-2012 02:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's called "habituation". It can take a while. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habituation
BTW where did this DICK come from ?
Strong words...who exactly are you referring to?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2012, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2012 11:28 AM by Flowergurl.)
(02-10-2012 06:02 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  What strategies am I going to learn to deal with the situations where in the past I used God?
The other question I have is:
In what ways can I discover beauty, inspiration and passion without God?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What has worked for you?
I am going through the same thing as you right now. I went from being in shock to starting to feel some of the internal pain you get when you are left with a very large void. It has been a particularly unpleasant experience because I am also severely missing a friend who lives a few provinces away. It just absolutely sucks and the only thing that will heal this is time and perhaps speaking with other agnostics/atheists. That is one thing that hurts the most during all of this, I can't even speak with my atheist friend about what I am going through. I mean, there's the Internet, but it isn't anywhere near the same. I am looking forward to an in person discussion about all of this. In the mean time, this forum has been such a huge help! I hope it helps you battle through the feelings and emotions you are going through.
To answer your second question, I think that life actually takes on an even more beautiful, inspiring meaning when you embrace atheism. Out of anywhere in the universe, we are alive! We are not only breathing, we are conscious and experiencing all these crazy cool things like happiness, love, creativity, excitement, etc. We are so unique! The fact that all of this very likely came out because of chance, is just mind blowing.
Also, with the knowledge that everything is so temporal and that death is likely very final, life just holds so much more meaning. This is our day and time to make our mark on the world and live an amazing life.
I find that part very inspiring and beautiful indeed.
[+] 3 users Like Flowergurl's post
22-12-2012, 11:40 AM
(22-12-2012 11:25 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  To answer your second question, I think that life actually takes on an even more beautiful, inspiring meaning when you embrace atheism.

Remember that it is not the lack of belief that requires an individual to look at life this way... it does not take the embrace of a lack of belief in a god or gods. It is the fact that once you accepted the fact that you no longer believe the garbage that held you back so long that you finally are able to look at the world with open eyes, unbiased eyes. Your senses aren't senses because you were told what to see, feel, hear, smell and touch and how to feel, what you are and what you aren't... but that because you finally left it behind you can finally appreciate the curiosity that is innate as a human being.

Remember that atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god or gods, it's a stance on one subject. Life is much more than simply a stance on a god or gods, or a lack of belief in them. Embracing the fact that life doesn't require them is great, but being able to look at life again with an opened sense of who you are, what is, what isn't and appreciating reality for what it is. That's usually just a really fantastic side effect of dropping doctdrone. Wink (yes, doctdrone... because there is a lot of sheeple)
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
22-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Oh, I've always recognized the beauty and amazingness of the world. I am artsy and creative. I write and sketch and love walking in nature and enjoy traveling and long to travel more. I did all of this as a Christian, but now I just look at life in such a different way. It probably doesn't keep going. So this is our one chance to really experience it.
[+] 4 users Like Flowergurl's post
07-01-2013, 12:12 PM
I haven't been in the grieving process for many years, as far as lost faith, though I can tell you that anger and outrage played a large role. Perhaps it was unhealthy, but it felt natural. After all, my religion (Jehovah's Witness) claimed the lion's share of my childhood. I was in a constant state of fear and shame, depression and self-loathing. When it came to the real world, I was socially retarded and awkward. And so, when I lost my religion, I personally railed against it. The songs 'Heresy' by Nine Inch Nails and 'Opiate' by Tool were a soundtrack to my life. *lol*

Anymore, I find meditation to be helpful. Maybe that will make some of you cringe and groan, but there is absolutely no religious quality to the meditations I practice. I have been doing this for ~4 years now and was thrilled when I recently watched a youtube video of Sam Harris 'Death and the Present Moment ' where he advocated mindfulness meditation to help deal with the grieving process for the loss of loved ones. The full video is nearly an hour, but it's an hour well spent. The part I'm referring to in particular is around 28 minutes into it.

I'm currently in the process of divorce and meditation has helped me cope and sleep. I'd recommend it to anyone.

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes SingingBear's post
15-01-2013, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 10:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-11-2012 01:43 PM)DickDawkins Wrote:  Try this, God created you in his own image.

I created God in my own image, bitch.

(22-12-2012 11:25 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  I went from being in shock to starting to feel some of the internal pain you get when you are left with a very large void.

I think my purpose, to the extent that I have one, is to accept and appreciate that I have no purpose. Embrace the abyss. That's what I think I'm supposed to do. ... HoC has this shit literally down to an art. ... I'm still trying to get his ass back here. ... I miss him.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
02-02-2013, 11:34 AM
I agree with Logisch and kpax. It was you all along that coped with and got through the tough spots and that life is much more than this one issue. Many of us go through that feeling of if not god then what? For me it is friendship, family (thankfully mine is accepting of my atheism and some share it), love, satisfying work, watching my son grow up, and so much more. You will realize your strength if you haven't already. But you are wise to grieve. You will come out stronger and more at peace with yourself and will no longer need the companionship of people whose love of you is conditional upon agreement with their beliefs.

Godless in the Magnolia State
02-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Find a hobby, occupy your mind and time. Whenever a disturbing thought arises in regards to your loss of faith, refuse to entertain it. If you get a hobby, say studying neuroscience, then every time those thoughts pop into your mind you can start thinking about neurons, the specialized functions of different parts of the brain, ect.

You keep that up and the thoughts will grow fainter over time.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post