Looks like LA is getting rid of Common Core.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2014, 03:26 PM
RE: Looks like LA is getting rid of Common Core.
(06-06-2014 03:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Pablo, click my name and read my profile.

Ok I get it. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
06-06-2014, 04:36 PM
NC did the same thing....not sure what the impact is.

This fall will be our first year of public school, (unless you count the nightmare of the first 6 months of kindergarten with my oldest who is going to 6th).

We also had the top dogs of the 10 largest districts take on the State senate because they keep raiding the education funds and now NC is like 3rd from the bottom in what they pay, and they want to make more cuts. smh. Student expenditure per student is less than it was 10 years ago.

Its like they are intentionally killing our schools.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
06-06-2014, 09:28 PM
(06-06-2014 03:01 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I don't know much about the common core program either, but what I've seen of some of the math examples it did seem really convoluted and more confusing. It also made me feel like it'd make it harder to do basic math in your head if that's the way you're learning to do it, which is detrimental in my opinion.

Here's an explanation on the math problem. Its the way I do math in my head. Read the paragraph after the photo for explanation.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-facebook/

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
07-06-2014, 06:27 AM
(06-06-2014 09:28 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Here's an explanation on the math problem. Its the way I do math in my head. Read the paragraph after the photo for explanation.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-facebook/

My gosh, thats the most convoluted thing I've ever seen for basic math. Those poor kids. Blink

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
07-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Allow me, if I may, to pontificate on this subject a bit. I have been writing math textbooks longer than many of you have been alive.

First, some background:
All states had their own standards when Dubya Bush came up with No Child Left Behind. This mandated testing and test results dictated which schools got money, which teachers kept their jobs, etc: serious stuff.

What happens when too many kids fail the tests? States lowered the standards. FL and TX were notorious for this, but others did as well.

This is when the Common Core (CCSS) was first proposed, and it made sense: every child and school district across the nation would be held to the same standard.

Problem #2 was that math education provided either (a) basic facts, practice, drilling into kids' heads that 4 x 6 = 24, OR (b) the "why" in math: 4 x 6 really means 4 groups of 6 items. For some reason (California) they can't figure out how to cover both. We either have kids who can add but can't figure out when to add, or we can have kids who understand what "addition" is but can't do it.

Now comes the CCSS. They are trying to get kids to *think* about problems. Ideally, they should be able to go to the grocery store and easily figure out which brand of detergent is a better deal, or figure out which size of wrench is 1 size smaller than the one that didn't work on the bolt. The CCSS is also trying to show there is no one right way to arrive at the correct answer.

IMO CCSS standards are very poorly written. Add in parents who don't understand it, and those who perpetuate the "I wasn't any good at math in school and I turned out fine" and the kids blow it off, too. Elementary teachers are rarely well-versed in math themselves. And we're right back where we started. Nice try, epic fail. Then we get the nutjobs blathering about how it's a conspiracy to brainwash the kids. Rolleyes

So, LA may bow out of the CCSS, but beware of what will take its place. $20 says the LA standards will be lower than the CCSS so those test scores will look impressive. And I will get more jobs re-writing the textbooks for the umpteenth time to match the LA standards.*

*Interesting aside: The term hack (a writer of dull, unoriginal work) originated from a euphemism for prostitute. I completely get this.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
07-06-2014, 07:49 AM
As I understand it the common core approach to maths is similar to that practised in Australian (or at least Queensland) schools. It uses language and approaches parents won't be familiar with, and that's a problem especially when the parents who are helping their kids don't like maths in the first place. However it is close to how I approach mental arithmetic, and I do see it as a promising basic approach.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post