Loopholes

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
27-04-2010, 01:38 PM

RE: Loopholes
"Than say, i know that the parting of the red sea is due to high and low tide, moon orbit and other factors, so the miracle was plausible."

No robot here, and no lack of syntax, I understand entirely what you are saying. What I am responding with is: What?!
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2010, 01:45 PM
To explain a little more on our reactions: No, it's not possible. It doesn't make sense. Tidal effects pull in one direction. They cannot do this:

[Image: MosespartingoftheRedSea.jpg]

Let alone hold it like that for the hours it would take to cross.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2010, 01:56 PM

like that picture, no that defies the law of physics, that would require a enormously high surface tension to be possible. i am not even sure if i got that right let alone if its possible to strengthen it that much.

but what i was talking about is a shallow place in the red sea with low tide and lunar orbit which causes especially low tides. which would give them a few hours to pass as stated in the bible i think. and than high tide comes drowning the pursueing soldiers of the pharoah. it just got over exagerated by people who like to use the exclamation mark to make a point. but lets not forget in those times i think you needed to be proud of your god so he cant be a wuss all the time. and peer pressure to conform to other religions who were also brutal and bloody.
27-04-2010, 02:03 PM

Um...Ulfark, the shallowest and narrowest part of the red sea, is 29 km wide and 130m deep. That's at the Strait of Perim.
27-04-2010, 02:13 PM

hmm thats strange i remembered that bit from a documentary. it needed some special conditions i'm forgetting but 130 meters is too much. hmm that region is full of platonic movements if i remember right that the plate of turkey moves away from egypt and than comes back in a half circle manner. so perhaps the gap became bigger but thats way too little time for significant change.

well i admit defeat due to the fact that my argument no longer sounds convincing to myself. i would have to look up the documentary or conditions myself and i dont feel like it.
27-04-2010, 02:20 PM

As it stands I can't possibly imagine any kind of tidal effects taking place, that would enable such an event to occur. Outside of a 'MASSIVE' oceanic earthquake and subsequent fissure occurring outside of the red sea. This would effectively drain the water in the area, for it to rush back in, as described and then drown those in pursuit...of course those in question would need to be BOOKING it FAST, to make it across, and from there have the return of the water occur...of course even that is a ridiculous theory. Simply due to the amount of time necessary for one, and also due to the sheer volume of water returning; as it would not only drown those in pursuit, but also every single organism even remotely near the ocean....not to mention we would see the fissure today, and the subsequent trauma to the landscape.
27-04-2010, 03:50 PM
everyone is making strong points. keep it up and thank you all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2010, 04:12 PM

If you say so Omega.

So...what's next on our loophole thread?
27-04-2010, 04:35 PM

how about the status of angels or saints

a lot of saints (nearly) receive a holy status. in russia there's even a saying that if god is sick sint nicolaas can take over for him. (highest saint there, apparently the base for the santa claus myth). and there is a saint for practically everything, i read in a irish fiction book in which at some point the main character was pissed about a whole list of saints not helping him. so you can ask why a human can ascend to the divine level. well assuming he has shown exemplatory behavior but still it is decided by the church. humans are deciding which humans to worship sort of. sounds like a golden calf to me.

also it is one thing for god to have influence on the material world which is also debateble. but saints also. furthermore does the special treatment of saints last in heaven if so is there a hierarchy in heaven. from the best goody to shoes to meant well but didnt go well.

angels are perhaps the vaguest to me, they are not part of god as far as i know. but yet they transcend the earthly and are divine creatures but yet they are not ruining the monotheistic status.i could never see how that logic worked. and even if they are some sort of species on earth and not divine they would conflict with the idea that humans are the highest beings on earth.

and what is up with that anointment deal. never got that either, somebody break it down for me. oh and read that bit about why people belief, i had copy pasted a article in there that reduces religious experiences as a medical condition. might shake em up a bit.
27-04-2010, 04:55 PM

Angels, and technically demons, as they are supposedly fallen angels, are of a species created by Yahweh within its metaphysical plane of existence; i.e. the afterlife.

Lucifer, was an arch angel, and Yahwehs greatest friend, so I suppose that'd make him like a pet rock or something. He 'betrayed' the omniscient Yahweh...who created Lucifer to begin with. Lucifer then traveled to a 'different' metaphysical plane of existence, which Yahweh already existed within (See Omnipresence) and from there somehow ascended to an almost god like status unto himself, even acquiring the powers? to challenge Yahweh itself, over the domain of all human souls. Logically we can conclude that Yahweh, being an omnibenevolent entity is simply not capable of destroying Lucifer, or otherwise stopping him from being such an ass(according to Yahweh), which of course conflicts with omnipotence.

Accordingly, Lucifer somehow managed to 'trick' Yahweh within his physical paradise of Eden, by entering within it in disguise(how do you disguise yourself against an omniscient entity?) and subsequently convinced another of Yahwehs creations, supposedly made in its image, to consume a fruit possessing the attributes of knowledge, which Yahweh placed there himself.

Upon the revelation of this deed, again noting a progression of time, as Yahweh only 'discovered' it because he 'saw' Adam and Eve clothed,(Note Adam was the original human male, and Eve the original human female; Adam being made from mud or something, and Eve from one of Adams ribs) and after questioning them discovered that they knew shame(again how could he possibly not have known this), and as he did not like this, Yahweh threw a tantrum and threw Adam and Eve out of Eden.(Because there was a question about this earlier, I'll point out that 'bad' things apparently didn't happen in Eden, pain didn't exist either.) From this we may conclude that Yahweh wasn't happy with its playground anymore and decided to wreck the place; as we are unable to identify a location, which once could have been Eden, here on Earth.