"Lord of the Flies". Seeking thoughts and opinions, and other recommendations.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 09:41 AM
"Lord of the Flies". Seeking thoughts and opinions, and other recommendations.
I'm reading LotF. I'm not terribly invested, reading it here and there. But I like it enough.

I like case studies (real or imagined) of separating society into a petri like dish setting, and see what comes of it.
Anyone have any other story recommendations of a modern human society having to restart all over again, and seeing what the natural inclinations and outcomes would be? Like, say, will religions, and sacrifices (human and animal) inevitably arise naturally again if society started from a clean slate?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
15-11-2013, 10:31 AM
RE: "Lord of the Flies". Seeking thoughts and opinions, and other recommendations.
(15-11-2013 09:41 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I'm reading LotF. I'm not terribly invested, reading it here and there. But I like it enough.

I like case studies (real or imagined) of separating society into a petri like dish setting, and see what comes of it.
Anyone have any other story recommendations of a modern human society having to restart all over again, and seeing what the natural inclinations and outcomes would be? Like, say, will religions, and sacrifices (human and animal) inevitably arise naturally again if society started from a clean slate?

This is a recurring theme in science fiction. You might search that genre.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2013, 11:12 AM
RE: "Lord of the Flies". Seeking thoughts and opinions, and other recommendations.
(15-11-2013 09:41 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I'm reading LotF. I'm not terribly invested, reading it here and there. But I like it enough.

Back in high school, I read LotF, and "a clockwork orange", and "1984".
They all have a similar theme, all about dystopias.
15-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Re: RE: "LordSeeking thoughts and opinions, and other recommendations.
(15-11-2013 11:12 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  

Back in high school, I read LotF, and "a clockwork orange", and "1984".
They all have a similar theme, all about dystopias.

I was trying to think of something.. But kept coming up in my head with those government power growth types of future scenarios.

I'm sure scifi has plenty of more, complete ground up rebuilding type tales like you're mentioning.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote:This is a recurring theme in science fiction. You might search that genre.

Then you'd be able to provide the most popular one, or your personal favourite.

Quote:Back in high school, I read LotF, and "a clockwork orange", and "1984". They all have a similar theme, all about dystopias.

I wouldn't agree. One where a group of people or a portion of society starts from scratch, and not just society moving towards malevolent totalitarianism, which used existing political or social or economics systems to take over. What I'm looking for is a society where they have to first create those systems.
16-11-2013, 05:23 PM
How 'bout "Children of Men" (can't remember the author, and "The White Plague" by Frank Herbert (?). Those have similar themes of society fraying around the edges.