Lorindigo here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Lorindigo here
I came upon this site through a member (GoodWithoutGod) who was posting rather brilliantly to a Yahoo story about an arthropod fossil. Fossil stories bring out the Creationists, and of course the fun then ensues.

I have a PhD in biochemistry/molecular biology/microbiolgy. I've worked as a wet lab basic science researcher in basic biomedicine for about 20 years, although I recently turned into a VERY helpful administrator. I've been an atheist essentially all my life, and I came from a family that dutifully exposed me to church, dutifully let me make my own decisions, and then welcomed it when I showed the capacity for logical thinking instead of buying into the religious stuff.

I recently got married, and my new husband was thrilled when he met me because he thought there was something wrong with him that he didn't believe in god, and he'd never met anyone who admitted it.

Here's where it gets interesting. My husband and I attend church nearly every week because our friend is the choir director and we sing in her choir. The music is often gorgeous, even if the lyrics are silly. It's a congregational church, and as liberal as they come. We got married in it, and the first question the pastor asked us in the planning stages was, "So, do you want a secular ceremony?" She was very understanding, and oddly, we feel completely at home with the people because they're wonderfully welcoming, and never try to push the religion. Everyone seems to understand we're a little "different," and they accept us as is. So this, then, is an example of religion done right, in my opinion.

Looking forward to sharing and hearing other insights and stories!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Lorindigo's post
08-05-2015, 06:20 PM
RE: Lorindigo here
(08-05-2015 06:14 PM)Lorindigo Wrote:  I came upon this site through a member (GoodWithoutGod) who was posting rather brilliantly to a Yahoo story about an arthropod fossil. Fossil stories bring out the Creationists, and of course the fun then ensues.

I have a PhD in biochemistry/molecular biology/microbiolgy. I've worked as a wet lab basic science researcher in basic biomedicine for about 20 years, although I recently turned into a VERY helpful administrator. I've been an atheist essentially all my life, and I came from a family that dutifully exposed me to church, dutifully let me make my own decisions, and then welcomed it when I showed the capacity for logical thinking instead of buying into the religious stuff.

I recently got married, and my new husband was thrilled when he met me because he thought there was something wrong with him that he didn't believe in god, and he'd never met anyone who admitted it.

Here's where it gets interesting. My husband and I attend church nearly every week because our friend is the choir director and we sing in her choir. The music is often gorgeous, even if the lyrics are silly. It's a congregational church, and as liberal as they come. We got married in it, and the first question the pastor asked us in the planning stages was, "So, do you want a secular ceremony?" She was very understanding, and oddly, we feel completely at home with the people because they're wonderfully welcoming, and never try to push the religion. Everyone seems to understand we're a little "different," and they accept us as is. So this, then, is an example of religion done right, in my opinion.

Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-05-2015, 06:24 PM
[Image: Img19_zpsrfuuvmv2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
08-05-2015, 06:52 PM
(08-05-2015 06:14 PM)Lorindigo Wrote:  I have a PhD in biochemistry/molecular biology/microbiolgy. I've worked as a wet lab basic science researcher in basic biomedicine for about 20 years, although I recently turned into a VERY helpful administrator.

Sounds fun, welcome to the forum!

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 1 user Likes Russ's post
08-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Any friend of GWG is certainly welcome here.

My sister also sings in a church choir but is an atheist...she just likes to sing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
08-05-2015, 07:03 PM
(08-05-2015 06:14 PM)Lorindigo Wrote:  So this, then, is an example of religion done right, in my opinion.

I think religion done right happens all the time. Nothing sensational about it so it don't make the news.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Wet work, huh? Confused
OH! Wet lab basic science researcher! My bad! Tongue

Welcome! Shy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
08-05-2015, 07:39 PM
(08-05-2015 06:14 PM)Lorindigo Wrote:  I came from a family that dutifully exposed me to church, dutifully let me make my own decisions, and then welcomed it when I showed the capacity for logical thinking instead of buying into the religious stuff.

Welcome. Same here. Smile Pull up a chair and chime right in! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-05-2015, 07:43 PM
(08-05-2015 06:14 PM)Lorindigo Wrote:  I came upon this site through a member (GoodWithoutGod) who was posting rather brilliantly to a Yahoo story about an arthropod fossil. Fossil stories bring out the Creationists, and of course the fun then ensues.

When did the same thing getting married, except we got married in the chapel.
Congregational is potentially the best version of christianity.
Still no evidence for gods though.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
08-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Welcome!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post