Lorindigo here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2015, 08:30 AM
RE: Lorindigo here
(10-05-2015 06:18 AM)Lorindigo Wrote:  Thanks, GWG! I will peruse. Yahoo is often a lowest common denominator of commenters, and the news comment websites get attacked by paid ideologues. Atheists are one of the most-hated, and least trusted groups in America. To many, atheism means "no system of morals," which is clearly absurd to anyone who gets that killing and stealing and cheating are wrong for more reasons than simply because "God said so." But many people operate on a much simpler level: Don't kill anyone. Why? Because God said so and you'll go to hell. OHHHH, that makes sense.

But I shouldn't ramble here, I should find a thread, when I have time! Right now we've got just a few minutes before we have to go to...wait for it...church! Because we just got back from our honeymoon, and every one of the folks in the choir came to sing for us at our wedding. It was stunning, it was wonderful, and these people have been wonderful to us. So we'll give them a soprano and a tenor in return. Smile

See ya around the boards.

The annoying thing with yahoo is sometimes your posts do not even show once you click post...that drives me crazy. The good thing about yahoo is it is a worldwide audience, and contains people from all walks of life and belief systems, so my little yahoo wars get maximum exposure. I dont debate someone who has entrenched delusional transcendent worldviews with the intention of changing their mind, I have done that, but it is rare, I do it for the watchers. The people who happen across the thread and watch, read and think about the information visible. It is my opinion the creationists who try to validate their views do more for creating more atheists than all of my efforts could ever do. People on the fence, and I truly believe ALL believers are battling some level of doubt, some more than others, see how hollow the creationist's assertions are, and then I hope something I post sparks an interest, or plants a seed that they feel they must go research or validate...and then when they discover what I post is true, the journey down the epistemological path to the truth begins. Smile

Enjoy your service today, happy mother's day and see ya around the boards.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
10-05-2015, 09:16 AM
That's a good approach. It's easy to get discouraged when the fundamentalists have so perfectly immunized themselves against logic or critical thinking. But there are probably watchers as you say. Bit by bit our society is learning to accept science and with that it's hard for people to have science in some areas of life and anti-science in others. on the other hand, for some these ideas are so powerful and convincing that they will literally give up their lives for them. It's hard to combat that kind of fervor.
[+] 1 user Likes Lorindigo's post
10-05-2015, 10:22 AM
(10-05-2015 09:16 AM)Lorindigo Wrote:  That's a good approach. It's easy to get discouraged when the fundamentalists have so perfectly immunized themselves against logic or critical thinking. But there are probably watchers as you say. Bit by bit our society is learning to accept science and with that it's hard for people to have science in some areas of life and anti-science in others. on the other hand, for some these ideas are so powerful and convincing that they will literally give up their lives for them. It's hard to combat that kind of fervor.

Absolutely, If I spend a few hours artfully (hopefully) and solidly debunking creationist misinformation and just one...just one person goes hmmmmm and starts his or her path to evolving and walking away from the myth by actually researching this thing called faith they claim to be so important to them, then it was worth it. Good news is the fastest declining group in the US is christianity, and the second fastest growing group in the US is non-religious, the bad news is islam is the fastest growing group, and that concerns me. So glad you found your way here, have a great mother's day.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
11-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Welcome aboard!

I can in understand the enjoyment of participating in the music side of churchgoing. One thing you have to hand theism is how breathtaking some the art, architecture and traditional music associated with it is.

My home city has some truly stunning religious buildings and the would be a less interesting place to look at without them.

I'm just not too hot on what goes on inside them! Tongue

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
13-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Welcome! I am one among the godless here who still attend church almost every week. I play music at least bi-monthly and although I'm a non-believer, I enjoy the community, and yes, some of the music is still quite moving. Sometimes I have to make sure my rationale checks over my emotions. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
13-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks Tonechaser. Some of the most chill-inducing music I've ever heard has nothing but the word "allelujah" in it. I guess it mostly has to do with the fact that there's not much of a market for choral music expressing appreciation for the secular beauty of nature. Or maybe I just haven't found those circle yet.
13-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
13-05-2015, 07:46 PM
(13-05-2015 11:12 AM)Lorindigo Wrote:  Some of the most chill-inducing music I've ever heard has nothing but the word "allelujah" in it.

Leonard Cohen yet lives.

Jeff Buckley does not.

#sigh