Losing Friends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2014, 02:02 PM
RE: Losing Friends
(21-10-2014 08:33 AM)3is Wrote:  I'll spare you all the wall of text and give you the short version lol

So, I've got a person that I've been friends with since we were freshmen in college, and just recently I told him that I am an atheist. At first things seemed normal after that, but more and more when we have conversations about life he seems to be completely closed minded and stuck in the 50s. It's like I'm just realizing for the first time how ignorant he is as a person. He thinks segregation should be reinstated. And then out of the blue he's accepted the idiotic dogmatic teachings of the nation of islam, and swears that white people are devils. despite the fact that his family has european ancestry. if that wasn't enough, he swears that gay people have an agenda to prostitute everyone's children. naturally, when confronted and put on the spot everything he says is filled with logical fallacies, because it's stupid to be racist or hate another person just for who they sleep with. I don't get it because it seems like he just started these beliefs overnight or some shit. *kanye shrug*

so my biggest question is, how many if any friends did you lose after your views began changing, and what is the proper way to end a friendship that is over 10 years old? I know I can't make anyone see what actually makes sense when they are content to be dogmatic. but I draw the line at racism, gay bashing, or any other stupid bigotry.

It sounds to me like your friend is becoming radicalized by some Muslim fundie. You might want to find out the source of that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2014, 02:07 PM
(21-10-2014 08:51 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I just walk away.

I don't return calls, or emails. Just fade away.

If they come to me and specifically ask, then I give an honest answer. In this case, that you don't agree with his stance on many positions and you have tried to reason and understand but cant go along in agreement.

Sometimes people go thru phases. I have bumped into 'old friends' that I hadnt had contact with in many years. And have a few times joked and said "yeah, I don't know what I was thinking back then" Sometimes its in reference to who they married, or other choices they made. I remember a time when I thought I looked good as a red-head, LOL. No I look back at those photos, smh and say wtf?

fading away helps when you bump into them later, there isnt animosity, just a recognition that you went separate ways.

I'm not a bridge burner unless you have really, seriously pissed me off. But even then, I'm more likely to just say "fuck off" and be done with them.

I've heard that this is called "ghosting"- especially when leaving a party, no goodbye, no see you later, just walk away.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
21-10-2014, 07:14 PM
(21-10-2014 01:15 PM)3is Wrote:  
(21-10-2014 09:46 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  "Dude, your opinions give me hives. I can't be around you anymore."

[Image: 62df015fb8b8bbdf4829d38a46604a4db83a8813...0f1094.jpg]

Well I've never done it..
but you could! Yes

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user