Losing Respect for Christian Friends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Losing Respect for Christian Friends
So I had a horrible deconversion experience but for some reason I did not hold this against Christianity. I knew it was the disgusting behavior of a few and that proved to me there is no Holy Spirit. The rest was a house of cards that just tumbled down. I still had a healthy respect for a lot of my friends......until gay marriage became legal. I am an idealist and fierce defender of human rights and liberty. Watching my friends freak out and declare that giving my gay friends equal rights is the end of America turns my stomach. I have seen posts on FB that equal rights for pedophiles is next. A friend of mine for twelve years (former alcoholic who walked on the wild side before her conversion) unfriended me when I used the rainbow profile. I feel like I went to bed believing I was in the North fighting slavery and woke up in the South. I have cried over this. I'm seeing my friends in a whole new light and it ain't pretty. Frankly I don't know that I can continue to be friends with such bigots. I'm in a small town in the Northern Bible Belt and my atheism is still in the closet. Moving is not an option otherwise I would. I hate mean people!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like ThatAtheistChick's post
04-07-2015, 09:40 AM
RE: Losing Respect for Christian Friends
What have you lost, really? A few intolerant fucks who lack the insight to see people who aren't like them as being less than them.

I know it hurts to see friendships lost over such matters, but you're better off not having shallow-minded bigots in your life.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
04-07-2015, 09:41 AM
The problem is I don't have any other friends.
[+] 3 users Like ThatAtheistChick's post
04-07-2015, 09:42 AM
I hear you. You'll have to work to change that part.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-07-2015, 09:43 AM
I have seen an abundance of bigotry and hatred even from people who are extremely liberal in their professed Christianity. My Facebook friends list got trimmed in the last couple of weeks.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
04-07-2015, 09:47 AM
I've gone through the same depressive state after seeing so much intolerance and bigotry and racism being so wide spread still (whether in my native state of Tennessee or the ever present idiocy in Connecticut where I now live).

The one silver lining is that while you'll see a lot of people you don't want to see, some people may begin to pleasantly surprise you. A few people I know have managed to make me realize that not everyone sucks.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
04-07-2015, 09:54 AM
(04-07-2015 09:43 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have seen an abundance of bigotry and hatred even from people who are extremely liberal in their professed Christianity. My Facebook friends list got trimmed in the last couple of weeks.

I think I need to just bite the bullet and do that. I am such an idealist I always believe the best about people. I realized that is why I tolerate so much crap. I just don't want to believe that bad exists so I deny it and make excuses for it. I like my rose-colored glasses. I tried to put them away and "get a thicker skin." Yeah, that didn't work so well. I suffered from major depression for years because I was betraying my values. Actually, the gay rights issue was the final straw for me with religion. It's just so wrong to persecute people like that.

Doesn't cutting out the bigots make me a hypocrite? They have the liberty to be bigots.
[+] 1 user Likes ThatAtheistChick's post
04-07-2015, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2015 11:46 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
No, it doesn't make you a hypocrite, because you're not despising them for an uncontrollable fact like sexuality or skin color.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
04-07-2015, 10:21 AM
(04-07-2015 09:54 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  
(04-07-2015 09:43 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have seen an abundance of bigotry and hatred even from people who are extremely liberal in their professed Christianity. My Facebook friends list got trimmed in the last couple of weeks.

I think I need to just bite the bullet and do that. I am such an idealist I always believe the best about people. I realized that is why I tolerate so much crap. I just don't want to believe that bad exists so I deny it and make excuses for it. I like my rose-colored glasses. I tried to put them away and "get a thicker skin." Yeah, that didn't work so well. I suffered from major depression for years because I was betraying my values. Actually, the gay rights issue was the final straw for me with religion. It's just so wrong to persecute people like that.

Doesn't cutting out the bigots make me a hypocrite? They have the liberty to be bigots.

You don't have to be assaulted by their hatred. You aren't stopping them from their behavior, you are creating a boundary to protect yourself.

As TBD said, I have seen a few people chill a bit too. I don't know if it means their views are changing...maybe they are stepping back to rethink things or if it means they have figured out not everyone shares their views on certain issues.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-07-2015, 10:39 AM
(04-07-2015 09:58 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No, it doesn't make you a hypocrite, because you're not despising them from an uncontrollable fact like sexuality or skin color.
Very true. Thank you.